Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

East stand renamed The Marie Celeste

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Mr T soprano, this is most odd----Ernest is currently doing a 'sane' running commentry on the Dortmund match and at the same time talking bollocks on your thread???

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Am I the only one who's getting pissed off with this same old argument.

I often leave 5 minutes early. I'm a STH currently based 80 miles away with my job. Nine times out of ten I get the train down to Brighton. Last night however I opted to drive. I left the ground on 87 minutes and didn't return home until 00:17 hours. If I left at full time I would have been looking at closer to 0100.

Does this make me a bad fan?
Does this mean I don't care?

Some people seriously need to get a life and chill out

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On the 82nd v Birmingham east stand was almost empty
On the 85th minute last night and with 5 mins injury time so another whole 10 mins of football left it was down to about 20% capacity

Shall we rename the east stand The Marie Celeste
Well it certainly did look & sound like a ship deserted last night
Shocking to see

Shocking indictment of the transport provisions more like.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Shocking indictment of the transport provisions more like.

i don't have a problem I stay in my seat west upper H block till the last player leaves the pitch then take a slow walk(got a dodgy knee) back to my car at the university about 10 mins to get out of car park then back home to the posh end of Shoreham by 10:30 last night and the same on a Saturday game

Mar 15, 2009
Brighton
When I see people leaving early to me it just deomonstrates a lack of care about the final result of the game, and if the players spot the fans leaving early it's got to be harder for them to get motivation to find that winning goal or play to the whistle, surely? .

Not sure this is how they see it to be honest. Recently I was at a Q&A with Charlie Oatway and he was asked what it was like for the team to play in front of big crowds. He answered in true Oatway fashion "I couldn't give a shit, I'd rather them play at a half empty Withdean as long as we win"
Think we were all taken aback but guess they train to win not get emotional and sentimental about crowd size

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Not sure this is how they see it to be honest. Recently I was at a Q&A with Charlie Oatway and he was asked what it was like for the team to play in front of big crowds. He answered in true Oatway fashion "I couldn't give a shit, I'd rather them play at a half empty Withdean as long as we win"
Think we were all taken aback but guess they train to win not get emotional and sentimental about crowd size

So the home team advantage is an illusion then ?

Charlie is a top bloke but not really sure he would grasp the ins and outs of the subconscious effects the environment has on players..

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
i don't have a problem I stay in my seat west upper H block till the last player leaves the pitch then take a slow walk(got a dodgy knee) back to my car at the university about 10 mins to get out of car park then back home to the posh end of Shoreham by 10:30 last night and the same on a Saturday game

out of interest when you get to your car at the uni do you have to queue for long to get onto the Lewes Road ? and then up Coldean Lane?

Am I the only one who's getting pissed off with this same old argument.

I often leave 5 minutes early. I'm a STH currently based 80 miles away with my job. Nine times out of ten I get the train down to Brighton. Last night however I opted to drive. I left the ground on 87 minutes and didn't return home until 00:17 hours. If I left at full time I would have been looking at closer to 0100.

Does this make me a bad fan?
Does this mean I don't care?

Some people seriously need to get a life and chill out

Each to their own but I cannot understand the mentality of leaving early - so you shaved off about 40 minutes of your return journey but ran the risk of missing a winning goal.

Does this make you a bad fan ? No
Does this mean you don't care ? Yesish. You'd rather save yourself 40 minutes than care about the outcome.

IMO :thumbsup:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
out of interest when you get to your car at the uni do you have to queue for long to get onto the Lewes Road ? and then up Coldean Lane?

Go straight down to the vogue gyratory ( whatever it's called ) past sainsbury up to 5 ways down Preston drove left at the bottom right at the lights under the bridge up to the dyke tavern then down to the old shoreham road & home easy never miss a second of any game and home within the hour to shoreham

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I was in the east stand last night. and i noticed a few people leaving early... but TBH I was watching the game so I couldn't really comment whether there was an exodus or not. It didn't feel like that many were going.

I don't get to go to many games, so the idea of leaving early is a non starter for me.

As I was leaving, an old boy behind me was struggling to get out of his seat and up the walk way. He had a walking stick and an ancient Albion scarf around his neck. I stood back and let him and his carers (daughter maybe) helped him struggle out of the ground amongst the throng of supporters leaving..

I guess he's lasted long enough to see the albion play quality football in a beautiful stadium... and he's not going to miss a second of it. Fair play to him.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Each to their own but I cannot understand the mentality of leaving early - so you shaved off about 40 minutes of your return journey but ran the risk of missing a winning goal.

Does this mean you don't care ? Yesish. You'd rather save yourself 40 minutes than care about the outcome.

All very strange, this obsession with other people. Shows immaturity.

For me, I left work at 5:15 and got to ground at 7:30 for a beer and pie (is that ok?). Left after 88 mins and got home at 12. So nearly five hours travelling. Up at 6am for work before and after. Being doing this on and off for 20 years. Been following the team since 79.

Don't care? Knob.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Never really understood what it's got to do with anyone else what time you leave. If leaving 5 or 10 mins early is the difference of getting home in 20 mins or getting home in 2 hours, i know what my choice would be.

Can't see why people get so uptight about it, it's sod all to do with anyone else.

It is because people are cretins who think they should have control over what other people do. Simple.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Don't care? Knob.

In fairness TheMajor did say yes..ish on the don't care front. I think calling him a knob is uncalled for.

I understand that getting home after a midweek game is a priority for you.... but for others the match is a higher priority.

I don't think your choice is wrong... but equally I would love it if everyone could stay to full time and get behind the team..... At 1-1 with 5-10 minutes left, it does make it feel like our fans think that the game is over.

For me, I left work at 5:15 and got to ground at 7:30 for a beer and pie (is that ok?). Left after 88 mins and got home at 12. So nearly five hours travelling. Up at 6am for work before and after. Being doing this on and off for 20 years. Been following the team since 79.

Don't care? Knob.

The guy asked a couple of questions and I answered him with my opinions. If you don't like the answers don't ask the questions.

By the way starting a post calling someone immature and ending it by calling them a knob is somewhat self defeating.

20 years of leaving games early? - you must have missed countless goals and about a season of footie - hardly caring is it ? still your in bed in time to get up tomorrow and thats what matters to you. IMO :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

There's been a fair few examples in this thread that may help you...

What about the people that pop out to the concourse during the game? Are they OK because they've stayed until they stay until the end, even though they could have missed a goal? Last season some guys near us would often pop out and miss goals - we ended up encouraging them to go and buy food in the end.

FWIW I can't get into your obsession with attendances, but like you say, each to their own :cheers:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If you were a player, and with 10 minutes to go the stands started emptying, I think this would affect you... Despite what everyone says about them not caring if people leave.. Its an unconscious thing.. The message received is 'the games over' that will have a psychological affect on the players whether you like it or not. The energy will drop. If you believe that cheering and singing helps a team, as it obviously does, why do you think that leaving the game 10 mins before the end wont also affect a team. Of course it will. Its all about unconscious messages.

Home games are our chance to be the 12th player... but if the 12th player bu**ers off 10 minutes early, he leaves the team feeling deflated for the last part of the game.. I cant believe people dont realise this.
I agree. I have EVERY sympathy with people to whom leaving at 85 minutes (especially on a school night and especially if they have a long way to travel) is the difference between getting home at 10:00pm and getting home at midnight, but it does look depressing to those of us who are left - including the players. That isn't having a go at those who leave early, as has been pointed out (many many many times) people pay their money and if they want to leave the cinema 5 minutes before the end of the film that's up to them, it's just stating a fact.

(As an aside it would be funny to see the players start wandering off with five minutes to go in order to be first in the showers!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here