Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diego Arismendi on loan

Public Pervert

Rakehell
Feb 19, 2010
it would be harsh to drop one of the current midfielders at the minute as well - they are putting in good shifts and getting us results. imagine navarro will be the one to drop out as crofts is the skipper and dicker is more of an attack minded player which you need with one up top

But no-one apart from Gus knows what his next team selection will be so it's jumping the gun to assume anyone will be dropped. He may well start Arismendi on the bench. Gus wants a better, more competitive squad in all positions. We're lacking in defensive midfielders. He's got obvious quality. How can this be anything other than a good signing?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
i too am not sure why everyone is wanking over him - he may be worth £3m, but virgo was worth £1.5m. and not forgetting that our last big name signing in a defensive midfield capacity was robbie savage, who was pretty wank during his time here

it would be harsh to drop one of the current midfielders at the minute as well - they are putting in good shifts and getting us results. imagine navarro will be the one to drop out as crofts is the skipper and dicker is more of an attack minded player which you need with one up top

unfortunately, i just get the feeling that this signing could have massive disapointment due to over-the-top expectation about it. bloody hope to be proven wrong though

Exactly my thinking

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
But no-one apart from Gus knows what his next team selection will be so it's jumping the gun to assume anyone will be dropped. He may well start Arismendi on the bench. Gus wants a better, more competitive squad in all positions. We're lacking in defensive midfielders. He's got obvious quality. How can this be anything other than a good signing?

so far, poyets record with bringing new players in is that they go straight into the side regardless of how the current incumbant has played and of the result - painter and calderon straight into a side that was defensively solid at torquay, holroyd leaping dickinson in the pecking order

i really cant see us getting a player of his value in, no doubt paying a sizable amount of his wages, and then leaving him on the bench. the current midfield seems balanced at the minute and we are starting to get results, so to break up those three would be bloody harsh and could cause issues in the changing room

he is obviously a good player if he is at a premiership club, an international and won the uruguyan league. but if he were that amazing then he would be in the stoke side. he wouldnt be coming on loan to us if he were the next pele, which is what some people seem to be making him out to be on here - and by having such high expectations of him, its going to bloody hard for him to live up to them

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The Dickers Navarros and Crofts of lower league teams can do anything, if they win us games. Then you'll be worried about losing them to teams like Stoke!

You are talking up some bloke Stoke can live without - have you even seen him play or are you making these assertions based on a name and pricetag?? :shrug:

Do you think the people who will be pouring large amounts of money in say naming rights will have seen any of them play?

I'd suggest not.

So when you sell an idea to them hypothetically...

Who will impress them more?

A hard working league one player who has no real claim to fame, or a Uraguayan international?

Yes football is a business where winning is a very important factor.

But there's also a business side to it that needs to be built and grown or the club won't prosper for very long.

The future supporters of the club are but children now, and children are impressionable.

If you wish to capture fans for the future instead of losing them to other clubs then something like this can have an impact as well.

I think at times people take a much to simplistic view of what a football club bringing a player in can achieve for the club for the now and for the future.

I'm not saying the Dickers, Navarros and Crofts arent important to the club, but you need a selling point eventually if you're to be successful comercially away from the playing pitch.

The Ronaldo's and the like are super important to their club on the pitch, but their financial worth to the club off the field through marketing and merchandising is far, far more signifigant to the clubs bottom lines.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The Ronaldo's and the like are super important to their club on the pitch, but their financial worth to the club off the field through marketing and merchandising is far, far more signifigant to the clubs bottom lines.

i may have totally misunderstood this, but are you SERIOUSLY trying to compare cristiano ronaldo to a stoke city reserve, capped twice by uruguay who 24 hours ago id hazard a guess that 95% of brighton fans had NEVER head of?!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
i may have totally misunderstood this, but are you SERIOUSLY trying to compare cristiano ronaldo to a stoke city reserve, capped twice by uruguay who 24 hours ago id hazard a guess that 95% of brighton fans had NEVER head of?!

When you compare the statures of REAL MADRID and BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION, yes, I think it works.

In fact, you'd have to say Madrid looked FAR more likely to get Ronaldo than us Arismendi, so by ratio it's an even bigger coup.

Public Pervert

Rakehell
Feb 19, 2010
so far, poyets record with bringing new players in is that they go straight into the side regardless of how the current incumbant has played and of the result - painter and calderon straight into a side that was defensively solid at torquay, holroyd leaping dickinson in the pecking order

i really cant see us getting a player of his value in, no doubt paying a sizable amount of his wages, and then leaving him on the bench. the current midfield seems balanced at the minute and we are starting to get results, so to break up those three would be bloody harsh and could cause issues in the changing room

he is obviously a good player if he is at a premiership club, an international and won the uruguyan league. but if he were that amazing then he would be in the stoke side. he wouldnt be coming on loan to us if he were the next pele, which is what some people seem to be making him out to be on here - and by having such high expectations of him, its going to bloody hard for him to live up to them

I haven't read anyone claiming he's the next Pele. Most people seem to be rightly excited that we're attracting players of this quality considering our current position.

As for Calderon & Painter - the defence has looked far better since their arrival. Looking ok against Torquay is hardly the same as nearly shutting out Norwich, Leeds and Charlton is it?

The squad seem pretty together and morale is good, something that Poyet has worked hard at. He's hardly going to let one player scupper that, especially considering the said player seems to be in awe of Poyet.

And as for feeling the pressure of expectation I really can't see a young, hard-looking Uruguayan being too concerned about living up to a few posters on a League 1 team's messageboard.

If you look hard enough for negatives and potential problems in any situation then you'll always find them.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Internet mood-killers desperate for more attention. You get one in every class, i suppose. They've normally been held back a year or two and tire of struggling with the same book and shout things out at the back and have desks full of fart cushions and bloodlike bottles of ink and little knives to carve their names into things with and steal and hide handbags.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

I'm not comparing him directly to Ronaldo.

I'm pointing out that a players worth to a club doesnt just stop at their playing ability.

Perhaps this site isn't the place to bring up marketing principles/strategies but as that's my industry I don't look at the situation one dimensionally.

He may or may not be any good, but the fact is he's agreed to come to Brighton is something we could use as a marketing tool or to use as a tool to encourage others to decide Brighton is a club worth comming too.

Are you for real? He's not even kicked a ball for us and you're speculating about possible language-based dressing room unrest. Jeez.

I'm stating a possibility which is no less 'unreal' than what others have been getting excited over. It's possible he 'could' be a brilliant revelation for us and transform the team, but it's also possible he won't.
As for "language-based unrest" I think you are reaching for something I did not say or suggest. Can you read properly, or do you have to go into histrionic mode and suggest things that weren't said?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Internet mood-killers desperate for more attention. You get one in every class, i suppose. They've normally been held back a year or two and tire of struggling with the same book and shout things out at the back.

:bowdown:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
i too am not sure why everyone is wanking over him - he may be worth £3m, but virgo was worth £1.5m. and not forgetting that our last big name signing in a defensive midfield capacity was robbie savage, who was pretty wank during his time here

unfortunately, i just get the feeling that this signing could have massive disapointment due to over-the-top expectation about it. bloody hope to be proven wrong though

Do you not think that the people who are getting excited understand all these points. They are just enjoying what looks on paper as an exciting signing. Just because people are celebrating this does not mean they have lost all their critical faculties.

I haven't read anyone claiming he's the next Pele. Most people seem to be rightly excited that we're attracting players of this quality considering our current position.

Right.
Okay then, tell me about this player - where did you see him play?
What screamed "quality" about him?

I want to know what he did, who were the opposition?
Was it in the league, in the first team?
What are his strengths?

No research required here mate - just get to telling me ALL about what you base your assertions and phrase "players of this quality".

Public Pervert

Rakehell
Feb 19, 2010
I'm stating a possibility which is no less 'unreal' than what others have been getting excited over. It's possible he 'could' be a brilliant revelation for us and transform the team, but it's also possible he won't.
As for "language-based unrest" I think you are reaching for something I did not say or suggest. Can you read properly, or do you have to go into histrionic mode and suggest things that weren't said?

Oh dear.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

As for Calderon & Painter - the defence has looked far better since their arrival. Looking ok against Torquay is hardly the same as nearly shutting out Norwich, Leeds and Charlton is it?

The squad seem pretty together and morale is good, something that Poyet has worked hard at. He's hardly going to let one player scupper that, especially considering the said player seems to be in awe of Poyet.

And as for feeling the pressure of expectation I really can't see a young, hard-looking Uruguayan being too concerned about living up to a few posters on a League 1 team's messageboard.

If you look hard enough for negatives and potential problems in any situation then you'll always find them.

all fair points

the defence has been a massive improvement since their arrival, but i think that is also to do with the fact that this is the first time we have had a stable back four that have been allowed to develop partnerships. under slade and early on in poyets reign, the back four seemed to be different every week. now we have a bit of consistency, we are reaping the rewards in being far more solid. it may be stretching the point a bit to suggest the same could have happened had whing and mcnulty got a run of games with virgo and elphick after that torquay game, but i think the improvement in defence is probably 60% down to the new players arrival and 40% being consistent

i didnt mean that the new chap would be the one to cause unrest in the dressing room - say navarro finds himself back on the substitutes bench when he has done nothing to deserve being dropped except for being the man to move aside to accomodate the new player, then navarro may not warm to the new man and may feel hard done by. i dont think for one minute that he is the sort of player to throw the toys out of the pram, but as you quite rightly point out morale is seemingly good at the minute and it is that sort of undeserved dropping that can potentialy upset it

for what its worth, i think this has all the hallmarks of being a decent signing - but i think its stretching the point a bit to proclaim that it is season changing when 24 hours ago hardly ANY brighton fans had heard of this bloke, let alone seen him play. give him five games and if he is the class act that most people seem to expect, then ill join the excitement bandwagon

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Now THAT is the sort of logic I like

Fun innit.

Shame your Xbox360 adventure didn't work out for you otherwise we'd be best friends right now and looking forwards to our two weeks together in the Maldives in May, where a misconstrued gesture of affection would lead to frosty relations in the airport on the way home.

Sorry, I think reading too many Meade's Ball posts can affect you.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Right.

No research required here mate - just get to telling me ALL about what you base your assertions and phrase "players of this quality".

International

Premiership club

£2.5 million with add-ons

= better "quality" than anyone we currently have on the books and demonstrably so :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here