Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diego Arismendi on loan

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We've had very little to cheer about for the past FOUR years or so. Let us have a bit of optimism, even if it is completely unfounded and without any merit whatsoever.

100% agree.

For all those asking 'why'...I reckon its to improve the team(obviously) and to generate somew excitement and get bums on seats at withdean. Don't the season ticket renewals go out sometime soon?

Is he any good, and will he be for us?
I remember people drooling over uber-flairniac Robbie Savage coming here, and that didn't work at ALL :nono:

What worries me about 'flair' signings worth big money, is that managers tend to play them just because they stuck their necks out and in hope they'll prove worthwhile. (see also Mullery's big gambit Teddy Maybank :wrong: )
So, you get a crap clogger with a big pricetag and 'flair' reputation wasting space on the field while we grind out another loss.

I'd wait to see what this bloke is like first, before crowing about his value and repute.
:glare:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Even after 40+ years of supporting the Albion, I know if we ended up with a team of foreigners, however well we were doing, I would be hard pressed to retain any interest in the team.

i could understand wanting to see local lads given every oppurtunity (and we have over the past few years), but lets face it, theres a small pool and an even smaller pool of real top talent. so we look outside the country. can you explain the difference between watching English journeyman from the likes of Hednesford, Preston, Sheffield, Sheerness etc, to watching foreign journeymen from Ireland, Belarus, Holland or Uruguay?

arent you watching the team for the football itself, or failing that (as often recently) the drama, regardless of the players names and nationalities?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Is he any good, and will he be for us?
I remember people drooling over uber-flairniac Robbie Savage coming here, and that didn't work at ALL :nono:

What worries me about 'flair' signings worth big money, is that managers tend to play them just because they stuck their necks out and in hope they'll prove worthwhile. (see also Mullery's big gambit Teddy Maybank :wrong: )
So, you get a crap clogger with a big pricetag and 'flair' reputation wasting space on the field while we grind out another loss.

I'd wait to see what this bloke is like first, before crowing about his value and repute.
:glare:

Not sure a defensive midfielder can ever be classed as 'flair' just because he foreign don't mean he is going to a trick every two seconds

Public Pervert

Rakehell
Feb 19, 2010
Brian to Ex-Leper "there's no pleasing some people"
Ex-Leper to Brian "that's exactly what Jesus said Sir"

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I don't see it just as a player coup, but it's also a great marketing coup.

We are building a brilliant new stadium, a stadium which we will be looking to attract the best deal it can for naming rights.

The best way to signal to potential sponsors we are a club with ambition is to be seen to be making moves to make us an attractive club to be associated with.

Bringing in such a player like this to a lower table league one club signals an intent to go places and move into bigger and better leagues.

That will get you more $ from sponsors and ground naming rights when the board starts making such deals.

The Dickers, Navarros and Crofts of lower league teams just can't do that for their team in a marketing capacity.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Don't panic! We've signed another player who seems to be somewhat good,but it's back to the proof of the pudding I think.

Perhaps,as he is a defensive midfielder, we will drop one of our useless strikers and go for thirteen points from our last thirteen games.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

We are building a brilliant new stadium, a stadium which we will be looking to attract the best deal it can for naming rights.

The best way to signal to potential sponsors we are a club with ambition is to be seen to be making moves to make us an attractive club to be associated with.

Bringing in such a player like this to a lower table league one club signals an intent to go places and move into bigger and better leagues.

That will get you more $ from sponsors and ground naming rights when the board starts making such deals.

The Dickers, Navarros and Crofts of lower league teams just can't do that for their team in a marketing capacity.

along with 7oaksgull, quality posts :thumbsup:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
He has a slight "what was i thinking?" look on his face, but i am over-excited by his arrival. I'd like him all the better if he was a defensive midfielder too. One not so bumbling in posession. If a winger, then not sure how he'll fit in with Lua Lua there too, but the more the merrier. I'm sure somewhere inside us all we'd all like a team brought up and raised on West Street, having played street football in the Odeon forecourt, got addicted to fruit machines, entered the south coast skimming championships, always visited the Brighton Centre when Legoland came on a visit, and got off with some local gals in alleyways and subways and Subways, but we're not in a world without air-travel and speedboats any more. I welcome anyone from anywhere, apart from Croydon, of course, and relish that change of flavour people from different areas and upbringings may slightly bring. Just look, as has been mentioned, at the expressiveness on the bench now with Gus there. He can distract the average viewer from what's happening between those unsnortable white lines with his shaking head and crossed arms breaking into song and dance to say all they can to fourth officials and opposition managers.
I love it. Hopefully we'll keep growing arm in arm.

Public Pervert

Rakehell
Feb 19, 2010
Beautifully put Meade's Ball.

Girls in alleyways in West Street. Oh those were the days.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Time for someone to be negative.

We need to be very careful that we don't end up with too many foreign players. We've already got Lua-Lua, Calderon, two goalies, a foreign manager, a Welsh captain and now this guy.

I freakin' hate Arsenal because of all their foreign players. are we heading in the same direction?

At the end of the day top quality English players do tend to be that little bit more expensive. Adam Virgo was never worth the £1.5 million we got for him from Celtic and just look at some of the British buys clubs like Portsmouth made.

Let's look at it this way:

Maybe this says that Gus will improve the squad at every opportunity. That he will only make signings if a player is better than those currently at the club or brings something different but will make those signings even when the team is playing well.

Maybe it says that Gus is not satisfied with merely staying up and aiming for a midtable position but wants to finish as high as he can and have as strong a finish to this season as possible. The higher that Brighton finish this season and the more momentum we have going into next season then the better placed we are in attracting players over the summer.

Every club in the league who previously wouldn't have looked at Brighton when loaning players out will now think again.

Every agent who previously wouldn't have recomended to a player to consider signing for Brighton or who didn't realise that Brighton was in the market for players of this calibre will think again.

Every player who wouldn't have considered coming to Brighton because he thought we are a small club will think again.

Signings of this nature serve notice to every other club in this league that Brighton are a big club and are to be taking very seriously.

This is a not only the signing of a quality footballer but a massive statement of intent about where this club is headed...

What exactly IS "a big club"?
In this division basically every club wants to be "big". We fly a nice big flag of ambition that's clear to be seen; new modern ground, new modern manager of renown as a player, a lack of huge debt (making us, basically, a new club!) and a steady home gate - small but with a large catchment area and a good away support. It wouldn't take a whole lot of homework to realize what this club intends for itself. The rumours going around the professional game must also be fairly strong about us, and I imagine a lot of the cognoscenti of football must know all about how we've risen from the ashes of near-extinction to be building the magnificent Falmer Stad.

"Massive statements of intent" lay in the filing cabinets of lawyers and administrators of shipwrecked football clubs, and there are just as many 'big' clubs with 'big' ideas that plummeted despite lavishing on wonderful new stadiums (Southampton aren't that many points above us, and they got their point-deduction not very far behind them).

Nope, not going into raptures of optimism here - proof of pudding in the eating and all that. A foreign player who speaks the same language as the manager, who speaks excellent English, could even be divisive unless he's clearly a hot prospect that earns respect with his football talent.

If I want something to be optimistic about, I'll look at the trend since the beginning of February - scaring top teams by out-playing them, Elphick balls-ups getting far between, solid performances and a rise out of the relegation zone (for the moment at least).

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I hope that Navarro stays in the side. He’s been instrumental in our recent revival.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Who had heard of him before today?! I'm not using that as criticism or anything, just wondering how well known he was before he signed on loan with us.

The Dickers Navarros and Crofts of lower league teams can do anything, if they win us games. Then you'll be worried about losing them to teams like Stoke!

You are talking up some bloke Stoke can live without - have you even seen him play or are you making these assertions based on a name and pricetag?? :shrug:

Public Pervert

Rakehell
Feb 19, 2010
Nope, not going into raptures of optimism here - proof of pudding in the eating and all that. A foreign player who speaks the same language as the manager, who speaks excellent English, could even be divisive unless he's clearly a hot prospect that earns respect with his football talent.

Are you for real? He's not even kicked a ball for us and you're speculating about possible language-based dressing room unrest. Jeez.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i too am not sure why everyone is wanking over him - he may be worth £3m, but virgo was worth £1.5m. and not forgetting that our last big name signing in a defensive midfield capacity was robbie savage, who was pretty wank during his time here

it would be harsh to drop one of the current midfielders at the minute as well - they are putting in good shifts and getting us results. imagine navarro will be the one to drop out as crofts is the skipper and dicker is more of an attack minded player which you need with one up top

unfortunately, i just get the feeling that this signing could have massive disapointment due to over-the-top expectation about it. bloody hope to be proven wrong though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here