Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diego Arismendi on loan

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I think this reinforces Poyet's desire to play the 4-5-1 system - if any of Navarro, Crofts or Dicker got injured or suspended then there is no replacement in the squad (Smith or Cox notwithstanding) - therefore this is a statement of intent, and yes he will have to replace one of those three, the most likely being Dicker I am afraid as Poyet rates Navarro very highly and will not drop Crofts.

i fear to agree here, due to the massive fanboy love of dicker (and rightly so)

if anyone thinks this won't happen either because

a) dicker is a ball player
or
b) the wonder goal

well... we have a £3mill Uruaguayan flair machine on loan right now...

you dig?

personally i think it's a shame to lose any of the midfield. maybe some natural rotation and resting will occur. i think we all admire our current centre mid players... so hopefully everything will work out like a wonderful happyland where all are happy, get games and score endless wondergoals

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Arismendi is a DEFENSIVE midfielder. Thus, it'll be Navarro if anyone, surely?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Ww will need cover for this nut-bag anyway - he's likely to spend as much time suspended in the stands as on the pitch. Maybe Navarro and "The Destroyer" can share the defensive midfield duties?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nothing like getting excited about someone we've never seen play...

Reminds me of the joy at the signings in the summer.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Sounds a good move as it gives us options in centre midfied..... dont think it has anything to do with Lua lua.

Sounds good but lets see him play first.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Which £4.8m rated players did we get back in the summer?

Not exactly the same, is it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

yes but we have never had anyone with a value of around 5million euro's at the club ( maybe in the 80's lawrenson and Robinson you could argue that proportionally they were worth that!)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Arismendi is a DEFENSIVE midfielder. Thus, it'll be Navarro if anyone, surely?

I thought Dicker and Crofts were quite defensive themselves?

Even so, Poyet was prone to play dicker on the left, as a non-british football man, I think Poyet grew up in a footballing culture where players are expected to be able to play more than one position without whining about it.

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
May I be the first one to question this signing.

The midfield are playing well at the moment, and in a rich vein of form and so we want to keep continuity and no-one really deserves to be dropped. Further to this we're not going to go down and we're not going to go up, so lets use this time to try out things with the players we've got. If this guy plays does ok and then goes back to Stoke then what use was it to us?? Unless there is a realistic chance he will come permanantly or on a years loan in the summer I don't see the point. Were we gunning for the play-offs fair enough but we're not.

Let's look at it this way:

Maybe this says that Gus will improve the squad at every opportunity. That he will only make signings if a player is better than those currently at the club or brings something different but will make those signings even when the team is playing well.

Maybe it says that Gus is not satisfied with merely staying up and aiming for a midtable position but wants to finish as high as he can and have as strong a finish to this season as possible. The higher that Brighton finish this season and the more momentum we have going into next season then the better placed we are in attracting players over the summer.

Every club in the league who previously wouldn't have looked at Brighton when loaning players out will now think again.

Every agent who previously wouldn't have recomended to a player to consider signing for Brighton or who didn't realise that Brighton was in the market for players of this calibre will think again.

Every player who wouldn't have considered coming to Brighton because he thought we are a small club will think again.

Signings of this nature serve notice to every other club in this league that Brighton are a big club and are to be taking very seriously.

This is a not only the signing of a quality footballer but a massive statement of intent about where this club is headed...

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
May I be the first one to question this signing.

The midfield are playing well at the moment, and in a rich vein of form and so we want to keep continuity and no-one really deserves to be dropped. Further to this we're not going to go down and we're not going to go up, so lets use this time to try out things with the players we've got. If this guy plays does ok and then goes back to Stoke then what use was it to us?? Unless there is a realistic chance he will come permanantly or on a years loan in the summer I don't see the point. Were we gunning for the play-offs fair enough but we're not.

I have to agree with this - a few months ago brilliant but can't see the need now (unless we have an option to sign at end of the season). Even then if we are going to spend big bucks I would like to see a new striker or L.midfield/attacking midfield.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Which £4.8m rated players did we get back in the summer?

Not exactly the same, is it?

Oh right. Of course. We're perfectly justified in raving about someone based on value, like the £3-500k Dickinson? £1.5m Virgo? Graeme Smith - wasn't a £1m fee turned down for him? (or was it 500k?) Clearly values attributed to players are a precise and reliable marker of how well they are going to perform for us.

It's not like we have a recent history of signing players with very good reputations who then are unable to live up to them with us. (Savage, Dickinson, Hoyte, C Davies, G. Smith, still waiting for McNulty to live up to his reputation).

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Maybe this says that Gus will improve the squad at every opportunity. That he will only make signings if a player is better than those currently at the club or brings something different but will make those signings even when the team is playing well.

Maybe it says that Gus is not satisfied with merely staying up and aiming for a midtable position but wants to finish as high as he can and have as strong a finish to this season as possible. The higher that Brighton finish this season and the more momentum we have going into next season then the better placed we are in attracting players over the summer.

Every club in the league who previously wouldn't have looked at Brighton when loaning players out will now think again.

Every agent who previously wouldn't have recomended to a player to consider signing for Brighton or who didn't realise that Brighton was in the market for players of this calibre will think again.

Every player who wouldn't have considered coming to Brighton because he thought we are a small club will think again.

Signings of this nature serve notice to every other club in this league that Brighton are a big club and are to be taking very seriously.

This is a not only the signing of a quality footballer but a massive statement of intent about where this club is headed...

Top post! Couldn't agree more - could help us sign players from a grade above in the summer. :drool:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
A great boost for us for the run-in, but I cannot see being able to bring him back next season, and Stoke have a recall option after 28 days.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL

Great post mate :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here