Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did Jesus Die?

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
goldstone said:
Exactly. Only the stupid, simple and desperate believe otherwise. However they are of course entitled to their own misguided views ... providing of course they don't try to force them on other people.

Man did not create God. God is the divine spark within us all. sadly man created religion which made man blind to the true nature of the divine :)

:wave: peace and Love to you all

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
coventrygull said:
Man did not create God. God is the divine spark within us all. sadly man created religion which made man blind to the true nature of the divine :)

No man did not create God, but religion isn't making people blind, its those people who chose to interpret it in a fanatical way which is making them "blind"...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
coventrygull said:

What if I was foreign? Bet you wouldn't wish it then. Watch out for this place:
delightr.jpg

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
tedebear said:
No man did not create God, but religion isn't making people blind, its those people who chose to interpret it in a fanatical way which is making them "blind"...

Religion does make you blind. Its not just the way it is interpreted by the fanatics. You do not need a religion to understand god. All the religious laws are bunk.

Dandyman

In London village.
readingstockport said:
No, there is not a quote. None of the gospels was written contemporaneously, the earliest was written sometime about 60 years after what is refered to as 30 AD now. What there is is something that someone claims was said by a roman guard at least 60 years before it was written down.

I wouldn't base a case on that I'm afraid.

:clap: If people want to take Hebrew messianic folk stories and turn them into a cult, that's up to them but after all this time could they not do it without expecting to be subsidised by my taxes, forcing their gibberish on children or expecting a role in law making.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The Large One said:
Society and human conditioning has come to determine that these are largely unacceptable forms of behaviour. Whether they are 'right' or 'wrong' is a different matter.

Agreed - however they also form part of the ten commandments and coventry's comment that all religious laws are "bunk" seems to suggest he doesn't believe in the laws under which we abide today?

Dandyman

In London village.
tedebear said:
Agreed - however they also form part of the ten commandments and coventry's comment that all religious laws are "bunk" seems to suggest he doesn't believe in the laws under which we abide today?

Top stuff. I'm looking forward to the re-introduction of witch burning and the stoning of fornicators, myself.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
tedebear said:

What's contained in the ten commandments is mostly common sense rules by which people would like to live. There's no god involved here. Whoever wrote the bible obviously decided that it would be a good idea to put in some fairly sensible rules if people decided to take it seriously.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Very few of the Ten Commandments are enshrined in many western government's laws today. Therefore Coventrygull's assertion that they are 'bunk' is actually a reference to the fact that, largely, they are not valid today.

In terms of whatever one may perceive 'morality' to be, to many they remain the cornerstone of their values. Which Commandments one lives by are down to the individual.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I think you will find all kinds of strange laws within the Old testament. Executing homosexuals etc is in there.

Its quite strange that the ten commandments should be mentioned. Our own government does not live by these so why should I.

The reason I don't kill, steal or commit adultury is out of compassion for other human beings nothing to do with religious laws

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Interesting assertion TLO, I actually find quite a few of the ten commandments is replicated in many of the laws and or societal guidelines under which we live... And Goldstone I also agree they are common sense rules but your statement about whether people decided to take them seriously I disagree with, wether or not you agree with the premise of the bible, who or why it was written is irrelevant, our society takes them very seriously as several of the commandments form our current law?

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
coventrygull said:
Its quite strange that the ten commandments should be mentioned. Our own government does not live by these so why should I.

I raised it following your statement about religous laws being bunk... simply trying to point out that wether or not you agree with it you do follow many of the ten commandments, and therefore do actually agree with a portion of a particular religion, wether you agree or not? just a debating point!

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
In the ten commandments> God demands that you shall have no other gods but me. Who are the other gods.

Gnostics believed that the god of the old testament was an evil god :D

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
coventrygull said:
In the ten commandments> God demands that you shall have no other gods but me. Who are the other gods.

I didn't say all!! That commandment applies to the people who began worshiping the golden calf BTW...which can be likened to todays society very easily..

Last edited:

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
tedebear said:
I raised it following your statement about religous laws being bunk... simply trying to point out that wether or not you agree with it you do follow many of the ten commandments, and therefore do actually agree with a portion of a particular religion, wether you agree or not? just a debating point!

You shall have no other Gods but me
broken that one

You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
and that one

You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
and again

You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
I have to work on the sabbath

Respect your father and mother
yep love me mum and dad

You must not kill.
The odd ant

You must not commit adultery.
My wife was married when we met and we have done a bit of swinging

You must not steal.
The odd pen

You must not give false evidence against your neighbour.
ok give you that one

You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour.

Couldn't give a toss about the neighbours

:lolol: :D

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
tedebear said:
I didn't say all!! That commandment applies to the people who began worshiping the golden calf BTW...which can be likened to todays society very easily..

Ah we are being selective now.

What about worshiping false images. Where does that leave my support for the Albion.

I also think Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode Is a Rock god :D

Dandyman

In London village.
tedebear said:

Out of interest how many Christians do you know who follow the folowing:

"Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof...and the hare..and the swine,though he divide the hoof and be cloven-footed, yet he cheweth not the hoof: he is unclean to you,,And all that have not fins and scales inthe seas and in the rivers" (Leviticus c11. v4,6,7,10)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here