Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did Jesus Die?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
SussexSpur said:
Sorry, dumb question here, but if there was this apparent assumption, plus rescitation being so apparently easy... why didn't the people crucifying him make sure they did a proper job, rather than satisfying themselves with the "mere" six-hours-on-the-cross which someone on this thread suggested was accepted as hardly fatal for a healthy-ish, young-ish man...?
There is a quote in the Bible from the guard acknowledging he 'truly is the Son of God'. The inference being that he was a sympathiser. Pontius Pilate wanted proof of Jesus' demise, and the guard assured him he was dead. Again, a surmation, but the guard probably wasn't a doctor, and couldn't tell the difference between death and a shock-induced coma. Hence, he was allowed to be taken away.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Juan Albion said:
BTW, some folks have been equally convinced that Jesus spent the years of his life that are not covered in the Gospels in India but returned to Jerusalem for the crucifixion.
That is what I said further up the thread, and this is what the film states.

Point is there is no evidence one way or the other as to where he was or what he was doing EXCEPT that, when his life is chronicled once again from the age of 29, his teachings were very much in keeping with that of Buddhism. He was crucified at the age of 33 when it came apparent that his revolutionary was causing too much aggravation.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
The Large One said:
That is what I said further up the thread, and this is what the film states.

Point is there is no evidence one way or the other as to where he was or what he was doing EXCEPT that, when his life is chronicled once again from the age of 29, his teachings were very much in keeping with that of Buddhism. He was crucified at the age of 33 when it came apparent that his revolutionary was causing too much aggravation.

It is interesting to note that a form of christianity very similar to buddhism was practised by the cathars in 12th centuary France. They were hunted down by the catholic church and destroyed. I wonder why?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
coventrygull said:
It is interesting to note that a form of christianity very similar to buddhism was practised by the cathars in 12th centuary France. They were hunted down by the catholic church and destroyed. I wonder why?
I've been on holiday down in that region. The whole area is awash with tales of conspiracy and rituals and intrigue. I've also visited Rennes-le-Chateau. I didn't realise its historical significance when I went, but it is another place within the Aude region which has its own sense of mystery.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
The Large One said:
I've been on holiday down in that region. The whole area is awash with tales of conspiracy and rituals and intrigue. I've also visited Rennes-le-Chateau. I didn't realise its historical significance when I went, but it is another place within the Aude region which has its own sense of mystery.

I have been to the region many times. The church at Rennes-le-chateau is an amazing place to visit. Did you go to the last cathar stonghold Montsegur? A very spiritual place.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
The Large One said:
I didn't. I was staying in Quillan with the missus, and a very stroppy 15 year-old and a stroppy 7 year-old. :(

Is Montsegur the fort on top of the hill/mountain off the road between Quillan and Perpignan?

No I think that is Queribus. Montségur is in the Ariege, in the foothills of the Pyrenees, not far from Lavelanet, due South from Mirepoix. If you go that way again well worth a visit. Queribus is also worth going to but I nearly shit me self on the way up. :D

I am really fascinated by the region and its cathar History. It has also lead me into an interest in gnosticism and buddhism.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The number of new age hippies from England who live down that way is growing all the time.

I was down there with my friend, talking to one of these - how shall I put it? - fairies. She was telling me my aura was strong and powerful and I have much to offer spiritually. She turned to my mate, a 50-year-old psychiatric nurse from Derry, telling him she didn't feel the power within him being so strong, in fact, it was quite malignant.

'What do you think she means by that? I asked. 'It means she is a English middle-class hippy dropout who thinks I'm a thick Irish c unt..', he said.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I thought that Jesus was whipped and flogged and beaten and also nailed up thru the wrists.

Surely he could not have survived it?

He was half human after all.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I thought that Jesus was whipped and flogged and beaten and also nailed up thru the wrists.

Surely he could not have survived it?

He was half human after all.

The whole point of crucifixtion was that it was a very slow and painfull death that would take a few days. Jesus only lasted a few hours apparently.

As for him being half human. There was debate by the gnostics that if he was the son of god could he have trully suffered on the cross.

Returning to the cathars. They refused to worship the cross. Seeing it as rather bizarre that people should worship an instrument of execution. They also had many debates about the true nature of christ.

coventrygull said:
The whole point of crucifixtion was that it was a very slow and painfull death that would take a few days. Jesus only lasted a few hours apparently.

As for him being half human. There was debate by the gnostics that if he was the son of god could he have trully suffered on the cross.

Crucifixian's a doddle - but then I am a bit m...... m.......ma......

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
NMH said:
Crucifixian's a doddle - but then I am a bit m...... m.......ma......

If its such a doddle and as you say your a bit mad. I think you can volunteer to go to the Philippines and get crucified on good friday. They do it every year so you can book early as not to miss out :lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Large One said:
They take them down after an hour or so.

Yeah, the big WIMPS.

Actually, that bit made me want to throw up.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
dougdeep said:
Man created God. Fact!

Exactly. Only the stupid, simple and desperate believe otherwise. However they are of course entitled to their own misguided views ... providing of course they don't try to force them on other people.

coventrygull said:

Returning to the cathars. They refused to worship the cross. Seeing it as rather bizarre that people should worship an instrument of execution.

Bill Hicks did some good stand up about this. Along the lines of, if Jesus were to "come again" what is the last thing in the world he would want to be reminded of? It's a bit like wearing a rifle necklace in memory of JFK.

The Large One said:
There is a quote in the Bible from the guard acknowledging he 'truly is the Son of God'. The inference being that he was a sympathiser. Pontius Pilate wanted proof of Jesus' demise, and the guard assured him he was dead. Again, a surmation, but the guard probably wasn't a doctor, and couldn't tell the difference between death and a shock-induced coma. Hence, he was allowed to be taken away.

No, there is not a quote. None of the gospels was written contemporaneously, the earliest was written sometime about 60 years after what is refered to as 30 AD now. What there is is something that someone claims was said by a roman guard at least 60 years before it was written down.

I wouldn't base a case on that I'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here