Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dick Knight stripped of BHAFC presidency for 10 games

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Abusing the opposition players is absolutely not the same as having a go at the poor sods who have to work on the gate or behind the bar at a football ground.
But he didn't. He was egged on by some goon who, after the Albion staff were heard to tell the turnstile staff to just let him in( his replacement ticket didn't work) he shouted a few random comments in the air directed at no one.

Old person gets frustrated at system. No big deal and remember, he was only using the ticket he had been given because Tony has a little disagreement with the Brentford chairman and refused seats in the directors box.

All DK did wrong was support his Chairman.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm frankly astonished at some of the posters on this thread belittling and diminishing just what Dick Knight did for this club in its darkest hour, and all across the Gory Years of Gillingham and Withdean. A lifelong fan who stepped in when the club was on life support, and led the way to where we are now. No, he didn't do it all on his own, but he was the figurehead and driving force when BHAFC was absolutely on its arse.

Now here we are, in 2022, he must be punished for getting the hump about his ticket not scanning at an away game.

Incredible.
Bang on. It’s a non story, he shouldn’t be punished for that and the response from some on here towards Dick is, as you say, astonishing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
m he was only using the ticket he had been given because Tony has a little disagreement with the Brentford chairman and refused seats in the directors box.

All DK did wrong was support his Chairman.
Again - not true. He never sits in the directors box for away games. He uses comped tickets

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Guess work and a witch hunt.
What evidence do you have of anything else?
This part of the statement on the club’s website: note the words “some” and “abusive”

Regrettably, some aspects of my conduct on that evening were captured on video and circulated on social media causing Brighton & Hove Albion, its staff, and me considerable upset and embarrassment.

In line with the club’s zero tolerance policy for any kind of abusive behaviour,……

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Did you not watch the game ? RDZ was getting stuck in to Franks over the Veltman incident
Stuck in? Not really. That was nothing. He walks onto the pitch smiling after drawing 0-0 against a diabolical Forest side before going on to say how proud and happy he is with the players. That performance and tactics were very poor and would like him to demand more from us. He's coming across as a soft touch with slow ponderous tactics.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He didn’t really did he. Chapman, Bloom snr & jnr, and other wealthy donors financially kept us going at Withdean. Dick also put in substantial amounts but certainly not the most, I recall Bloom putting £4M I think it was without even being a director. And second half of Withdean era I don’t recall much of his own. But at Gillingham and a few smaller loans at Withdean certainly helped yes.
Here are the facts.

At the 30 June 2007 company accounts, total funds to date injected by generous folk amounted to £6.8m.

I pick that snapshot because Hazel Blears gave a planning permission a little later on. Tony Bloom had largely kept his powder dry.

The £6.8m breaks down as follows:

Knight £1.6m
William Brown £1.1m
Tony Bloom £0.8m
Norman Cook £0.75m
Kevin Griffiths £0.58m
Ray Bloom £0.5m
Friday Ad £0.5m
Chapman £0.46m
+ smaller shareholders

It’s all disclosed in the 31 August 2007 statutory annual return.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
This part of the statement on the club’s website: note the words “some” and “abusive”

Regrettably, some aspects of my conduct on that evening were captured on video and circulated on social media causing Brighton & Hove Albion, its staff, and me considerable upset and embarrassment.

In line with the club’s zero tolerance policy for any kind of abusive behaviour,……
Other aspects of his conduct captured on that video show DK being polite and friendly with Albion staff and some goon fan so some of his behaviour captured was absolutely in line with the club's zero tolerance policy etc etc

Just guesswork to keep your witch-hunt going.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I didn't go to Brentford, my mate's went, and one was furious that with his son he had his wallet searched and everything when he hadn't been drinking and felt unfairly singled out. I think a lot went on with regard to trialing ticket checks and Albion staff being there to spot check certain collections.

So with all that in mind, lots going on etc. your club representive kicking off is not a good look - I'm not sure you can just pretend it didn't happen once the real idiots in this - the albion fans that filmed it, decided to share it.

Now I agree, maybe a storm in a teacup, but we don't know how the conversation between Dick and club went, maybe Dick offered that up, perhaps he's off on holiday for the next 10 games anyway, who knows, however I doubt Dick makes such a sincere personal statement if he was forcefully getting banned / punished. We're not slicing something, we're both just guessing.
What would be the worst possible outcome if the club did the supposedly impossible and just shrugged at it?

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Here are the facts.

At the 30 June 2007 company accounts, total funds to date injected by generous folk amounted to £6.8m.

I pick that snapshot because Hazel Blears gave a planning permission a little later on. Tony Bloom had largely kept his powder dry.

Knight £1.6m
William Brown £1.1m
Tony Bloom £0.8m
Norman Cook £0.75m
Kevin Griffiths £0.58m
Ray Bloom £0.5m
Friday Ad £0.5m
Chapman £0.46m
+ smaller shareholders

And that, as of 2007, £1.6 million became worth nothing

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Shame on the idiot that filmed and posted. Hope they’re proud of themselves and their ‘contribution’ to our club. If they were on fire I wouldn’t piss on them, where’s would walk into a burning house to rescue Dick Knight.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would like our current bunch of players to show the same passion as Dick.
Shout and swear and say “don’t you know who I am” when they can’t get the ball in the net? :lolol:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Other aspects captured on that video show DK being polite and friendly with Albion staff and some goon fan so some of his behaviour captured was absolutely in line with the club's zero tolerance policy etc etc

Just guesswork to keep your witch-hunt going.
If DK had acted like an angel why did he issue the statement.

You talk of a witch hunt, I have to admit that I held DK in highest regard for his work during the war years, just disappointed with his envy of TB.
Ps - I’ve been to 100’s of away matches over the years and since TB became chairman I’ve never see DK in the directors box

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Here are the facts.

Knight £1.6m
William Brown £1.1m
Tony Bloom £0.8m
Norman Cook £0.75m
Kevin Griffiths £0.58m
Ray Bloom £0.5m
Friday Ad £0.5m
Chapman £0.46m
+ smaller shareholders

And 08/09 ? I definitely remember Bloom investment appearing but not listed as he wasn’t a director and was several million more

A Dullard confirms this a year later

Post in thread 'Dick Knight`s 2 million'
http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/threads/dick-knight-s-2-million.139028/post-2717812

Last edited:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
So is there more to this than the short clip of him spitting the dummy for a few seconds! I flipping hope so otherwise what the feck are we up to. This is political correctness gone mental. What do people expect, we have emotions, we have egos, we have a limited ability to hold in frustrations. So what, he had a little outburst, did he take personal aim at any one? did he hurl obscenities at any one? did he take hold of anyone ? All he did was let his frustrations out. Cancel culture and the attitude it fosters is a bloody cancer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And 08/09 ? I definitely remember Bloom investment appearing but not listed as he wasn’t a director and was several million more
With no planning permission secured, Bloom put in the number I said.

With planning permission he obviously started pumping in £10m’s almost straight away.

The original quoted bunch (including TB/RB) literally saved the club, it would’ve been liquidated. Restarting in Tier Oblivion with zero assets and no ground. They also gained planning permission against all odds. The anti-Albion sentiment in local powers-that-be went beyond Norman Baker, LDC, Falmer PC and The Society of Sussex Downsmen.

We owe Knight and the others so much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here