Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Wilkins

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Linking DW to QPR seems more likely than Walsall. Have no worries that he won't do OK for himself and will almost certainly get a good few bob severence from us to boot.

And doesn't his brother Ray have somethig to do with QPR currently as well ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You've got to go back to the reasons DK gave for sacking Wilkins as manager, which seem to be based on dealing with players, agents and preserving team focus and harmony.

Those reasons, coupled with some shocking perfomances in key matches at home in the run-in last season, are enough for me to support the chairman on this one.

Wilkins WAS shabbily treated and that is regrettable, but this latest appointment is probably the most important since Gritt because this man (Adams) is supposed to lead the club forward into the Falmer era, unite fans, board, players alike and so on.

If it doesn't work out with Adams plenty of people will point the finger and say "I told you so" but I won't be one of them.

Good luck to Wilkins, I'll follow his career with interest but I'll wager Adams will have more mangerial success than Wilkins in the future.

Firstly I think we can assume that Wilkins is highly rated as a coach by both DK and MA but how they feel the dynamics might change if he stays remain to be seen.

True enough.

I am not too sure why you feel that Wilkins motivinational skills might be questioned, but he undoubtedly was successful last season whatever his methods.

A couple of pisspoor results at home where IMO at least he did not have the team up for the fight. I also think he is ridiculously slow to react at times, consequently not keeping players on their toes. Successful? Depends how you define success. Not reaching the play offs is not successful in my eyes.

Of course we cannot have good people leave any organisation, I would suspect that Wilkins with his background at the club from player through to youth team coach to first team coach before becoming Manager would suggest that he has many real footballing attributes that would enhance any football club.

Maybe, but as I said before it really depends on if the attributes he has will work with the new regime.

I am sure with Adams appointment will come some decent funds and some decent signings all of which will give all of us fans some optimism, my point would be why not give Wilkins at least the same support and see just how far he might of gone, that would of been the reasonable football decision after last years good season.

Hang on, now you are talking about reasonable football decisions, and I think you're wrong. If DW has demonstrated to the board that he is perfectly capable of dealing with all aspects of the role then yes, I agree, he should have been given time. However, I think we're safe to assume that they considered him not to be up to the job, and have replaced him accordingly. THAT is a football decision.

'Wilkins is a brilliant and innovative coach' was quoted by Naylor but also both DK and MA have intimated just how highly Wilkins is thought within the game.

Pinch of salt with anything spouted by Naylor. His opinion is worth less than f*** all. Of course DK and MA have intimated that they think highly of him, I wouldn't expect anything else. It doesn't actually mean very much though.

Of course we do not want disruption, but be fair, thats something that DK has to wrestle with and not Wilkins.

And I'm sure DK is doing just that, hence the decision to do this now.

Not too sure about having to compliment the manager, between them the agree a playing pattern and the coach must use his skills to impliment a training schedule that might help the team execute that plan.

Yes, but if the coach has his own ideas that do not compliment the manager then that isn't going to work is it?

Your dismissiveness of the 7th place last year is odd.

I just think we were capable of much more. I honestly feel that Wilkins should take the majority of the blame for us failing to make the play offs.

Managers live and die on results, unlike coaches that develop players and Wilkins CV remains untarnishes, no matter how hard you try to ignore his success last year.

As a coach yes, as a manager, not so much. Even so an untarnished reputation still isn't worth a lot if you haven't actually achieved anything either.

My opinion remains that whatever MA achieves next year the decision was poor, but of course will be forgiven if he achieves at least a 'play off place'.

My opinion is that the decision was possibly harsh, but justified. That's football, and DW will know that better than most. I don't think the board, DK or whoever have done anything that needs forgiving, whatever happens next season.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
You've got to go back to the reasons DK gave for sacking Wilkins as manager, which seem to be based on dealing with players, agents and preserving team focus and harmony.

Those reasons, coupled with some shocking perfomances in key matches at home in the run-in last season, are enough for me to support the chairman on this one.

Wilkins WAS shabbily treated and that is regrettable, but this latest appointment is probably the most important since Gritt because this man (Adams) is supposed to lead the club forward into the Falmer era, unite fans, board, players alike and so on.

If it doesn't work out with Adams plenty of people will point the finger and say "I told you so" but I won't be one of them.

Good luck to Wilkins, I'll follow his career with interest but I'll wager Adams will have more mangerial success than Wilkins in the future.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Once again I agree with you, Pavilionaire.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Without a significantly increased transfer budget, I'd put money on Micky Adams failing to get us into the top six.

I'm still somewhat bitter at the way he left last time out, but frankly I remain unconvinced at his managerial ability despite the Championship he won with us last time out.

Are you telling us that given the offer of a better job with more money, you would stay loyal to your existing workmates and turn it down ? BOLLOCKS> Micky Adams is the man to take us forward. If you know anyone who can do a better job, that we can afford, then name him, credit to Wilkins for holding the fort, but thats all he did

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

What he said !

:clap2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, yes he should. Its been WEEKS, and we're now into June. The silence has been absolutely DEAFENING.

I think MA should be working under the assumption that Wilkins is a gonner, and should now be preparing his own backroom team accordingly.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It looks as though we might be thrashing out a severance deal. If he was going to stay, then I am sure we would have heard something by now.

However, there do not seem to be rumours from any other clubs who might be courting his signature. A deafening silence is rather strange as you would expect a leak somewhere along the lines.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Just the two of them ????

Discussing a new job maybe ?

if they have any sense they are - Dick knight said in his interview after dean was sacked - the club was moving forward at a very quick pace - so far we have given a keeper who has been here 8 years a two year contract - brought a manager back that left us for a premier league club - is looking at the released list maybe to bring some back - what are we travelling in then - a robin reliant?

Last edited:

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
would be sad to see him go but as said before noone is indispensible. the only people who deserve to decide is the board who are his bosses. we then get a chance to give our opinions. give the man time to make his decision in peace, the board have, and if he does leave im sure i wont be the first person to thank a true legend of this clubs recent history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here