Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Wilkins

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Why would you seriously 'not lose any sleep' if an acclaimed 'innovative' and 'brilliant' coach has been forced out of the club if you wish success for BHA.

I dont tend to lose sleep about many things that go on at the Albion - our coaches certainly aren't one of those things.

I honestly believe he could not do the role of coachto the best of his ability after managing the club. Equally dont think he would get the same respect from the players, to go from head honcho to a glorified coach cant do much for the self esteem either. He will go somewhere else and good luck to him.

He has been "forced out of the club" for the greater good in my opinion and as such I think we will end up with more success without him than with him as manager. If he stays then great we get the best of both worlds, dont see it happening though.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
MA over Wendy anytime...
MA WILL bring in new players and he will struggle to do worse than those who have left...
IC leaving a bonus; back to non-league for him...

So, all positive in the last 2 weeks, IMHO...

chappers is better than non league - dick would not have given him a contract last year if he wasn't - and that must be true because what dick says and does is always right isn't it?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
chappers is better than non league - dick would not have given him a contract last year if he wasn't - and that must be true because what dick says and does is always right isn't it?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I would assume he got the job on Dean Wilkins recommendation.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Last year I did hear that if DW was going to be kept on at the end of last season, he wanted to bring in one of his ex QPR colleagues as coach. I can't remember the name, but it obviously didn't happen as Chappers joined full time.

A bit irrelevant now I know, but the QPR reference just reminded me.

I think it is unlikely that he will stay, however it might depend just how much MA or DK really want him to, even so, it might be that he walks with his head held high.

I think you may be right, do they really want him to stay, or was the offer simply so they didn't have to sack him outright? It seems he's rated as a coach, but not as a manager or motivator. How highly rated remains to be seen.

But you see the real problem is you cant go on letting good people leave the football club.

Very true, but is that really the case here? I'm certainly not convinced, not that I need to be as I don't make the decisions.

Of course we have Falmer and we have MA back, which is likely to be backed with money and a few decent signings.

This will placate many especially before the season starts but eventually we will come unstuck.

Have you been an Albion fan long? Are you even a fan? MA did well for us first time, but I think the general view, and certainly one that has been voiced here several times is that it's dangerous to go back, and there are enough cynics and armchair pundits around to start the dissenting as early as July 1st!

Why would you seriously 'not lose any sleep' if an acclaimed 'innovative' and 'brilliant' coach has been forced out of the club if you wish success for BHA.

Acclaimed by who exactly? Even if the accolades are correct if it disrupts the harmony within the team to have him there then he should go, regardless of what good he brings. It's about getting the balance right.

Who exactly is the likely 'brilliant and innovative' replacement ?

That remains to be seen doesn't it? Does it have to be someone 'brilliant and innovative'? I would say it needs to be someone that compliments MA and his style so we can get the maximum out of the players.

You see football really does need organisation, imagination and yes a bit of luck, but money although helpful is not really the exclusive answer.

You really do need good management and outstanding coaching, its the difference between success and mid table mediocrity.

Precisely, and I'm not convinced we had either last season. Which is precisely the reason changes needed to be made, regardless of how unfair it may seem to some. That's life, deal with it.

Everything seems to be forgiven either because of Falmer or that we now have MA back.

Decisions are of course made by the owners of any club, but not to be able to make sound footballing decisions is one of our great weakeness's.

Is it? Or is that simply your opinion? Too often the board have been criticised for staying loyal to a group of players deemed by some to be past it or simply not good enough, yet when a decision is made to cut a person who has a long history with the club, because they are not considered good enough to do the job they are required to do, people start jumping up and down. Damned if you do etc...

Only time will tell if this has been a good decision or not, and even then we'll only get half the story. If MA does well and gets us up then it will point to a good move, but who can say whether DW would have achieved the same thing. If MA fails and DW starts doing a good coaching job elsewhere people will consider it a bad move, but again, who can tell if we'd have been better off with DW still in charge?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Linking DW to QPR seems more likely than Walsall. Have no worries that he won't do OK for himself and will almost certainly get a good few bob severence from us to boot.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think you may be right, do they really want him to stay, or was the offer simply so they didn't have to sack him outright? It seems he's rated as a coach, but not as a manager or motivator. How highly rated remains to be seen.

Very true, but is that really the case here? I'm certainly not convinced, not that I need to be as I don't make the decisions.

Have you been an Albion fan long? Are you even a fan? MA did well for us first time, but I think the general view, and certainly one that has been voiced here several times is that it's dangerous to go back, and there are enough cynics and armchair pundits around to start the dissenting as early as July 1st!

Acclaimed by who exactly? Even if the accolades are correct if it disrupts the harmony within the team to have him there then he should go, regardless of what good he brings. It's about getting the balance right.

That remains to be seen doesn't it? Does it have to be someone 'brilliant and innovative'? I would say it needs to be someone that compliments MA and his style so we can get the maximum out of the players.

Precisely, and I'm not convinced we had either last season. Which is precisely the reason changes needed to be made, regardless of how unfair it may seem to some. That's life, deal with it.

Is it? Or is that simply your opinion? Too often the board have been criticised for staying loyal to a group of players deemed by some to be past it or simply not good enough, yet when a decision is made to cut a person who has a long history with the club, because they are not considered good enough to do the job they are required to do, people start jumping up and down. Damned if you do etc...

Only time will tell if this has been a good decision or not, and even then we'll only get half the story. If MA does well and gets us up then it will point to a good move, but who can say whether DW would have achieved the same thing. If MA fails and DW starts doing a good coaching job elsewhere people will consider it a bad move, but again, who can tell if we'd have been better off with DW still in charge?

Let me come back on some of the points that you have made.

Firstly I think we can assume that Wilkins is highly rated as a coach by both DK and MA but how they feel the dynamics might change if he stays remain to be seen.

I am not too sure why you feel that Wilkins motivinational skills might be questioned, but he undoubtedly was successful last season whatever his methods.

Of course we cannot have good people leave any organisation, I would suspect that Wilkins with his background at the club from player through to youth team coach to first team coach before becoming Manager would suggest that he has many real footballing attributes that would enhance any football club.

I am sure with Adams appointment will come some decent funds and some decent signings all of which will give all of us fans some optimism, my point would be why not give Wilkins at least the same support and see just how far he might of gone, that would of been the reasonable football decision after last years good season.

'Wilkins is a brilliant and innovative coach' was quoted by Naylor but also both DK and MA have intimated just how highly Wilkins is thought within the game.

Of course we do not want disruption, but be fair, thats something that DK has to wrestle with and not Wilkins.

If your looking for an excellent coach, you need an excellent coach, no doubt.

Not too sure about having to compliment the manager, between them the agree a playing pattern and the coach must use his skills to impliment a training schedule that might help the team execute that plan.

Your dismissiveness of the 7th place last year is odd.

Managers live and die on results, unlike coaches that develop players and Wilkins CV remains untarnishes, no matter how hard you try to ignore his success last year.

My opinion remains that whatever MA achieves next year the decision was poor, but of course will be forgiven if he achieves at least a 'play off place'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here