Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charity Idea - Cycle Ride: Goldstone > Priestfield > Withdean > Falmer

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
So presumably you will take the Offham Road from Lewes, along the Downs, past Plumpton College and through Westmeston?

Whilst that road is very scenic and possibly my favourite in Sussex, have you ever seen how people drive down it? Like they're filming for 'Top Gear' that's how!

Not sure an unmarshalled cycle down there is a good idea!

Again if you are prepared to go off road then I'd get onto the South Downs Way.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Best idea seen on here since Mr McGhees book.

I can no longer cycle,and I aint rich,but I'd put my long arms into my short though moth lined pockets to sponsor this gig.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
While a statue is a nice idea, I'm not sure how easy it would be to raise sponsorship money for. I can quite easily go around and ask my workmates/family to give money in aid of the REMF, but in aid of a statue?

It's a statue to commemorate the deceased who never got the chance to see Brighton play in a proper stadium again though innit!?- not just a statue?

What circa £3,500 would stretch to though I have no idea.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I have had some brilliant feedback and ideas chucked my way on here, emails and PMs

as for what the money can be used for, ideas hae included

- money donted to REMF
- a statue at Falmer
- mosiac at Falmer
- memorial garden at Falmer*
- pay for part of the ground to be named after this
- money donated to Rocking Horse Appeal
- commemarative plaque at Falmer

no idea what to do with the money raised, or indeed how much will be raised, but thought Id share the feedback with everyone

* apparently that corner of the Falmer site will remain untouched by the stadium works. Maybe a garden here, where a bluebell or plant/tree is planted for every person who lost their lives. Landscape it a bit, and maybe have it as a place where ashes are scattered??

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
secondly, the rest of the feedback regarding the actual ride.

Option A - Two Days
Day One
Cycle from Goldstone Ground to The Priestfield
Day Two
Cycle from The Priestfield to Withdean
Cycle from Withdean to Falmer

Option B - One Day
Nostalgic double decker bus ride from Goldstone Ground to The Priestfield
Cycle from The Priestfield to Withdean
Cycle from Withdean to Falmer

Option C - One Day
Nostalgic double decker bus ride from Goldstone Ground (via Withdean) to The Priestfield
Cycle from The Priestfield to Falmer

Option D - Two Days
Day One
Cycle from Goldstone Ground (via Withdean) to The Priestfield
Day Two
Cycle from The Priestfield to Falmer

Option E
Something not thought of yet

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
6 of my mates and I cycled from the Goldstone to Gillingham back in 1998. We were given the name 'the magnificent 7' by someone. Argus I think. Anyway, we were raising money as part of the then buy a player fund. We raised 2 grand and it went towards purchasing Rod Thomas.
It's not an easy journey, plenty of hills but it was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done. Good luck with it but don't take it lightly. Do some training.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
A monument/statue at Flamer with the money raised would be an excellent idea.

Representing ALL supporters that fought for Falmer. Those we have lost, those that are still going strong.

It could be a permanent symbol of what people can achieve when they work together to achieve a common goal. I'm sure the club would be up for that.

"Pedalling For The People" - to commemorate the Albion fans who didn't get to see Falmer.

"The Last Ride" - the fight is finally over. Albion fans have a new home.

It's a great idea Brett.

Thanks Dan,
I think something to remember ALL fans is important, no idea what yet, a garden sounds good to me, I reckon we can raise £5,000 between everyone, but obviously we cant have too many people doing it

The Last Ride sounds like a great name...

6 of my mates and I cycled from the Goldstone to Gillingham back in 1998. We were given the name 'the magnificent 7' by someone. Argus I think. Anyway, we were raising money as part of the then buy a player fund. We raised 2 grand and it went towards purchasing Rod Thomas.
It's not an easy journey, plenty of hills but it was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done. Good luck with it but don't take it lightly. Do some training.

I had no idea it was done before, you will have to fill me in with the details in the pub next home game. Training shouldnt be a problem as Im meant to be doing Lands End to John O Groats next year

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It looks like the first question needs to be:-

How many people constitute just a one off charity cycle?
verses
A full on legitimate, organised (insurable/legal type stuff) event?

As I bet there's a massive difference in the outlay required.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
It looks like the first question needs to be:-

How many people constitute just a one off charity cycle?
verses
A full on legitimate, organised (insurable/legal type stuff) event?

As I bet there's a massive difference in the outlay required.

that is my main concern, it would have to be limited in numbers as it could result in having to pay for policing, stewarding, road closures and all sorts

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I had no idea it was done before, you will have to fill me in with the details in the pub next home game. Training shouldnt be a problem as Im meant to be doing Lands End to John O Groats next year

Yes will do mate. You've brought back some very happy memories.
It even made it in to The Sun sport pages on the Monday.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
A garden would be nice but a bit impractical to maintain.

An appropriate monument, such as something that symbolises the Goldstone (i.e. in happier times), would be great.

Maybe a meeting area outside the stadium with a central focal point?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think you should arrive back in Brighton the Friday before the game where Fat boy Slim puts on a huge pre-match party in the evening, hopefully on the seafront.

It would be like Quadrophenia, in a peddletastic 21st Century way. Loads of Stripes (rather than parkas) turning up on their cycles - hysterical.

I think it could be rather splendid.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Think I fancy the walk from the Goldstone and am happy to sponsor the bike ride (for which I am much too old/stiff jointed/unfit/lazy*)

*delete as appropriate

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I have had some brilliant feedback and ideas chucked my way on here, emails and PMs

as for what the money can be used for, ideas hae included

- money donted to REMF
- a statue at Falmer
- mosiac at Falmer
- memorial garden at Falmer*
- pay for part of the ground to be named after this
- money donated to Rocking Horse Appeal
- commemarative plaque at Falmer

no idea what to do with the money raised, or indeed how much will be raised, but thought Id share the feedback with everyone

* apparently that corner of the Falmer site will remain untouched by the stadium works. Maybe a garden here, where a bluebell or plant/tree is planted for every person who lost their lives. Landscape it a bit, and maybe have it as a place where ashes are scattered??

Maybe it could coincide with my original mosaic idea. Will have a think about that :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here