Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charity Idea - Cycle Ride: Goldstone > Priestfield > Withdean > Falmer

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Count me in, (all being well).
Try speaking to Rupert Rivett or Steve Bock, at SRS events. SRS Events - Burgess Hill Cyclosportive.

They have been putting together some very well organised cyclosportives in the Burgess Hill area, for a few years now.

Do I have to ride it over 2 days?, I've got my reputation to think of.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could the money that is raised buy a monument of a couple of supporters , I say 2 because I would be accused of being sexist if I said just one either male or female, that could stand at Falmer as a reminder for years to come similar to a war memorial. I do believe that during the celebrations of opening Falmer at the first game a minutes silence should be observed in memory of those that unfortunatly never saw their dream.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
For those concerned about being fit enough to do this, I am mid-40s and not very fit and managed to do the 60 miles Capital Coast on the hottest day of the year the summer before last. I am a regular cyclists, but not over long distances. The key is having regular refuelling stops - it literally feels like putting petrol in the tank if you eat and drink the right stuff. For CapitalCoast I had to go up the north downs to Epsom Racecourse and then up Sedlescombe to come over the Dyke. The first I managed, the second I had to walk a bit, I admit.
PG

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Deffo, it's not a difficult as it sounds. Although going 'up' to Gillingham will be slightly more testing that the usual L2B rides, as it will up against the gradiant.

A half decent bike, would obviously help. But more importantly the right tyres properly inflated makes all the difference. So basically just changing the tyres on a mountain bike, will be more than good enough.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
My kind of vision for this at the moment

Will be done to coincide with the official opening friendly game - assume it will be a Saturday 3pm affair.

65 miles ish each way - roughly 7 hours each way, including stops (which there will be plenty)

If we leave at midday the Friday before the game - arrive in Gillingham about 7pm. get to hotel, have dinner and rest up.

Leave 7am ish on the Saturday. Get to Brighton for around 2pm

Lets say £50 to enter
This will cover all drinks, snacks, first aid things and petrol money for the support vehicles. It will also cover the cost of a cheap hotel in Gillingham for the overnight stay.

If everyone raises at least £200 we should get a fair whack for whatever we chose to use it for

17 people have shown an interest. If 17 people raise at least £200 each, then thats £3,400 going to charity.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I should be up for this, Brett. Sounds like the sort of thing that I'd regret not doing.

Might have to pay extra insurance for leaving our bikes in Gillingham overnight.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I assume this is the sort of refreshment stop you have in mind:

tour-de-france-1921-break.jpg

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
A monument/statue at Flamer with the money raised would be an excellent idea.

Representing ALL supporters that fought for Falmer. Those we have lost, those that are still going strong.

It could be a permanent symbol of what people can achieve when they work together to achieve a common goal. I'm sure the club would be up for that.

"Pedalling For The People" - to commemorate the Albion fans who didn't get to see Falmer.

"The Last Ride" - the fight is finally over. Albion fans have a new home.

It's a great idea Brett.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't you want a stopover in the middle so that you can shag Victoria Pendleton?

We definately need a sarcasm smilie that I could have put at the end of my original post. I didn't feel like I had 100 miles in my legs all summer (unsuprisingly). Hopeful by the time of the ride I will be back to my former self and blow you all away with my amazing quadpower :lol: :sarcasm:.

As for Ms Pendleton, I bet it would take me longer to get my leg over my top tube, than ...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
oops sorry just read the bits above.

For those of us who are not as fit as the rest of you young whippersnappers, could we not do it in a form of relay, ie split the journey into sections of say 15 miles a piece and then be sponsored by section or something like that

I'm going for it, Dave and I'm five years older than you.

(of course, I might not be able to finish it ...)

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
A cracking idea. May be arrange it for when they have one of the ramp up events as arriving all hot and bothered on the day of the first league game might be too much.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
In aid of all the Brighton fans that died after leaving The Goldstone and sadly never got to see us play at Falmer.

No idea on the logistics of it, or how many people will do it, it was just an idea that I had after reading this thread (Goldstone, Withdean, Falmer - North Stand Chat) and a friend of mine agreed to do it with me.

It is approximately 120 miles...

So many questions:

What could it be called?

Is it a charity that can be sustained after the ride i.e. other events further along the line?

When would we do it? (First official opening friendly/or first competitive game)

What can the money raised be used for?

Is it even possible to do without using motorways and A roads?

The route?

How many people would be interested?

Can we get a list of all those who have passed away since 26/4/1997?

How do we get people/bikes to Gillingham?

Organising Designated stop points or a driver with first aid/food/drink supplies?

Anyway, thoughts please. We have a fair bit of time to organise it if it goes ahead…..

You must be f***ing joking! On a push bike?

I have a much better idea. How about a sponsored pub crawl, by train or coach? That way we could all enjoy our favourite watering holes - old and new from when we used to make similar journeys to see the lads play.

Seagulls Tavern, Cricketers, Sportsman and a new one to be adopted when we get to Falmer. Oh, and obviously a few others en-route.

A monument/statue at Flamer with the money raised would be an excellent idea.

Representing ALL supporters that fought for Falmer. Those we have lost, those that are still going strong.

It could be a permanent symbol of what people can achieve when they work together to achieve a common goal. I'm sure the club would be up for that.

"Pedalling For The People" - to commemorate the Albion fans who didn't get to see Falmer.

"The Last Ride" - the fight is finally over. Albion fans have a new home.

It's a great idea Brett.

While a statue is a nice idea, I'm not sure how easy it would be to raise sponsorship money for. I can quite easily go around and ask my workmates/family to give money in aid of the REMF, but in aid of a statue?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here