Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charity Idea - Cycle Ride: Goldstone > Priestfield > Withdean > Falmer

PCBEARDMLORD

Isn't it ?
Jan 30, 2008
Patcham
I am in....I do the L2B every year so well up for this.

Just an idea, could the money raised pay for some season tickets for the first season and given to a local Charity or similar ?

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I think you should arrive back in Brighton the Friday before the game where Fat boy Slim puts on a huge pre-match party in the evening, hopefully on the seafront.

It would be like Quadrophenia, in a peddletastic 21st Century way. Loads of Stripes (rather than parkas) turning up on their cycles - hysterical.

I think it could be rather splendid.

I think that's a far better idea. Should any major problems crop up on the way back from Gillingham on the Saturday, then people may miss out on the first game at Falmer. At least by traveling on the Friday you'll get everybody back in time.

I'd probably be up for a Thursday / Friday cycle (gives me enough time to get fit). Perhaps we could cycle from the centre of Brighton to Falmer on the Saturday to promote sustainable transport to get to Falmer.

That would be a superb sight.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The only problem with the timing, is the reason why pretty much all cycling events happen on a sunday morning. TRAFFIC.
Believe me, it makes a world of difference.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
how far from clapham common is gillingham's pitch?

seriously fit riders could go up the day before the main london-brighton ride,
and stay over (B&B? camping?) for a few beers, before coming back-

as part of the L-R ride, getting some publicity for the club, REMF, Falmer etc along the way..

ah, stuff it, just a blue and white convoy, from goldstone to falmer.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I cycled to Bristol from London (Fulham) in June and it wasn't too bad over two days (126 miles, I think). I am very unfit and managed it in good time. I would be keen to do this as well.

Also planning a cycle to Paris, but that is a different kettle of fish!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Thinking about the support veichles, I think we would need two, a people carrier to take injured/knackerd riders and a van fo all the equiptment and overnight bags etc.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
doing google maps now..

Hove park to Priestfield -
72miles approx, by car (via M25)

Priestfield to Clapham Common (tube station) –
36miles.. that’s a late start for the main ride then..

And THEN 55-ish (?) back to BN2/Falmer..

Nutters!

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think that's a far better idea. Should any major problems crop up on the way back from Gillingham on the Saturday, then people may miss out on the first game at Falmer. At least by traveling on the Friday you'll get everybody back in time.

Nah, it would be great to come hotfoot (as it were) to the first game - it would be a great sight.

I do think that 7.00 is too late a start though (bearing in mind Stat Brother's point). It won't be so bad once we're on rural roads but the first part of the way back will be all urban and we want to miss Saturday morning traffic - I'd say be away at 6.15/6.30 - or even earlier. It should help ensure we get to Falmer on time.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No matter what the numbers are, I want as many as poss but understand logistical concerns, all participants should be in replica shirts. If possible the support persons/vehicles should be blue and white as well. Love to see Joe Public's face as we pass through Kent/SE London towns in numbers, colours, noise, hooters etc.. Oh what fun with sore arse, thighs, sweat running into my eyes........what have I agreed to?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't want to be Negative Nerys here, but I'm going to anyway! :lol:

If it becomes a mass ride, covering that distance with a large assortment of different standard riders, on a busy (1st game of the season) summer saturday morning, with the real possiblity of missing the 1st game, will be a nightmare.
Not to mention the possiblity of accidents en route.

To me this event should be the sunday before and a great way to start Falmer week.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Thinking about it and chatting to a couple of mates about it last night, I think the best option is

Do it for the first official opening game at Falmer - this is likely to be a pre season game against lucrative opposition.

Limit the event to 30 participants.

Hire a double decker, possibly open top bus (transport riders, helpers, WAGs, HABs and kids)
Hire a small lorry (transport bikes)

The evening before the ride, use said bus to take a nostalgic trip from The Goldstone Ground to the Gillingham. We then stay in a hotel near Priestfield, have dinner (maybe a couple of beers) and then rest up for the ride.

The morning of the ride, drive everyone from Hotel to The Priestfield (early O'clock) for the cycle to begin.

Cycle from The Priestfield to Withdean, then from Priestfield to Withdean

(Helpers, WAGs, HABs and kids can be on the bus with the riders and shout encouragement, bucket collection from bemused on lookers)

It is either going to be a 2 or 3 day event. (stat brother can do it during half time :jester: )

2 days
Day One - bus ride from Goldstone to Gillingham
Day Two - cycle from Priestfield to Withdean, then Withdean to Falmer (day of the game)

3 days
Day One - bus ride from Goldstone to Gillingham
Day Two - cycle from Priestfield to Withdean
Day Three - cycle from Withdean to Falmer (day of the game)

what do you reckon?.......

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think doing the Gillingham-Brighton bit of the ride on the day of the game is a MASSIVE mistake!

There is too much risk of missing the first game and I dont know about anyon else but I want to enjoy the first game and have a few beers before/after, not sit there all sweaty and sore from cycling 60odd miles! (also think about the people sitting arond you, do they want to be smelling you?)

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think doing the Gillingham-Brighton bit of the ride on the day of the game is a MASSIVE mistake!

There is too much risk of missing the first game and I dont know about anyon else but I want to enjoy the first game and have a few beers before/after, not sit there all sweaty and sore from cycling 60odd miles! (also think about the people sitting arond you, do they want to be smelling you?)

It is only a small sacrifice to make, especially what the ride is being done for.

But i think the majority would rather have a proper matchday experience for the first competitive game, as opposed to the first friendly. So the thinkin gi s do the ride to coincide with the first friendly against Man City or some other big club

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Not sure about a MASSIVE mistake, but I think Friday would be better to arrive back. Or, maybe get back to Lewes on Friday, lash it up at De Vechi's gaff:laugh:, and then ride in to Falmer on Saturday morning?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
There is still a massive chance we could miss the first game. Obviously whatever day is chosen I'll do it but I do think that doing it the day before or weekend before would e a better idea.

We could do it as a seprate event the week before and get much more publicity than doing it on the same day when everyone will be intrested in the stadium and we will be a footnote on the event.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What gives Ali, are you just looking over my shoulder. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here