Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charity Idea - Cycle Ride: Goldstone > Priestfield > Withdean > Falmer

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd prefer to do it on the day of the first friendly but I would be worried about missing the game.

80 miles is going to take a fair amount of time and I do think we'd have to leave at stupid o'clock to make sure we do it on time

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Looks like a 3 day event then (well one evening, a whole day, then a morning)

3 days
Day One - bus ride from Goldstone to Gillingham (two days before game)
Day Two - cycle from Priestfield to Withdean (day before game)
Day Three - cycle from Withdean to Falmer (day of the game)

I'd be up for this also. Not that fit at 6'1 and 16 stone however after doing some cycling in belguim during the holidays i'd like to give this a stab if still more places available!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Looks like a 3 day event then (well one evening, a whole day, then a morning)

3 days
Day One - bus ride from Goldstone to Gillingham (two days before game)
Day Two - cycle from Priestfield to Withdean (day before game)
Day Three - cycle from Withdean to Falmer (day of the game)

A mass cycle from Withdean to Falmer doesn't really have the same impact, does it?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
what would be your preference? I am thinking two day thing, bus up the day before, and ccle back on the day of the game.

If its a 3pm kick off, and we left Gillingham at 6am, we would be back before 1, I am sure, thats 7 hours

That would be my preference too. It would have to be 6.00 sharp though, I could see some people rolling up at 6.30/6.45 and I think we'll be cutting it fine.

It will take more than 7 hours - guaranteed.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
My old man does a lot of Cycling, and im sure he'd be more than interested in doing it especially for charity with other albion fans. He does the south downs way ever year and could do it a similar way to that as it always seems well organised.
Top idea though:thumbsup:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
That would be my preference too. It would have to be 6.00 sharp though, I could see some people rolling up at 6.30/6.45 and I think we'll be cutting it fine.

It will take more than 7 hours - guaranteed.

Indeed, thats why I thought a bus trip to a hotel in Gillingham they day before, then EVERYONE is in the same place, and we can bang on doors to get people up if needs be.

Say a 5am meet in a hotel recpetion, a 10 min drive to Priestfield, 30-40mins to get bikes and set up - then away we go

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Indeed, thats why I thought a bus trip to a hotel in Gillingham they day before, then EVERYONE is in the same place, and we can bang on doors to get people up if needs be.

Say a 5am meet in a hotel recpetion, a 10 min drive to Priestfield, 30-40mins to get bikes and set up - then away we go

Evening game, 10 o'clock start, publicity On south today when we get back, simples.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
If you use me as an example. I'm neither overly unfit or very fit, somewhere inbetween and I'm 43. A couple of years back I cycled 75 miles from Wetherby to Filey in an organised ride. I started at around 9 and arrived around 4.

So it can be done on the day. Obviously if you leave at round 6.30/7.00am you give yourselves some leeway in order to get to the game if its 3pm kick off.

Btw put me down for it

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
The event would have more impact if it was all cycling, Goldstone - Priestfield - Withdean - Falmer. If we're getting the bus there we might as well get a bus back... and it solves the problem of getting the bikes over there in the first place!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm inclined to say that if it's going to happen it should be done properly i.e. cycle there and back. Perhaps there can be two options, one with coach and one with two cycle rides?

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
It's a fantastic iea, but no doubt the Health & Safety police will have their opinion. My dad is a member of Lewes Wanderers Cycling Club & has organised loads of races over the years. The police do have quite strict policies on this sort of thing & at one stage wanted to ban all cycle races. It might be worth checking out the Cyclists Touring Club CTC website to see if it gives any guidance.

Don't forget that if you're coming back via the A26 & Ditchling Beacon, you'll be doing part of the 1994 Tour de France route.

I've not been on a bike for over 20 years, but if I could borrow a bike, I might be able to do a couple of miles before conking out. Failing that I can hand out bottles of water.

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
Don't want to piss on anyone's chips or anything, it's a great idea and i'll be digging deep, but with regards to timings etc, Last year Me, Mr Banana, Johnny Byrne, Andy Joicey another dozen or so Albion fans and 35 or so others did Dieppe to Paris (160 miles, 3 days) i've also done L2B, just bear in mind it ain't gonna be like either of those two. very few quiet roads (unlike France) no road closures (unlike L2B) so for anyone who's done a ride like L2B it's not much use using that as your yardstick. as you will get caught in traffic and there'll be little bombing down hills and the like. 50 miles a day is probably more realistic as there are going to be a number of diffrent standads involved and there will inevidently be punctures. Good Luck in getting this thing going. (I mean that in the good sense, not the sarcastic way!)

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
This is a fantastic idea.

I'm taking up cycling again after a few months off from it.Going to need some serious training though for that distance.

It would be a great,positive challenge to aim for.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
People should stop looking for excuses for it NOT to happen and look at the best way we CAN make it happen.

Brett's idea of a Bus to Gillingham (bringing back matchday memories for some), an overnighter and then a cycle back to Withdean and Falmer is the best I reckon. If it's going to take a long time then we start earlier in the day.

It would be great to get Gillingham involved in some way - maybe Scally can pay for the Hotel :jester:

If we start early enough then it should be OK.

We HAVE to make this happen - it's a great idea that DESERVES to be taken to fruition.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Making it over more than one day is going to put off a lot of people I would have thought.....would you want to spend the night in a hotel with a load of internet geeks?... not to mention cost of hotel etc. 0509hrs train from Brighton, arriving Gillingham at 0742 and bobs your uncle.

:thumbsup::love::eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here