Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff fan re: Noone

Phoenix Arrow

Mitoma Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009
Sverige
To clarify, Gus Poyets said that the DEAL is currently going nowhere, not Noone himself.
Yes, but Noone has said before he really likes the set-up we have here, it was that which attracted him here in the first place and he seems happy.

Cardiff is a step up from Brighton, of course it is, but is it a big enough step up for him to leave a club he's currently happy with? I'm not sure, but it's definately not a big enough step up for him to demand a transfer or whatever.

Of course, all that is irrelevant without an accepted offer. I mean, he'd probably go if the right offer came in, but we don't need money (dear god, Albion don't need money, what's happened to the world) so I can't see that offer being anything less and a million. I'd probably take that if it meant we could strengthen other areas of the squad. We've got plenty of wingers.

Albion boss Gus Poyet has warned Cardiff their interest in Craig Noone is "going nowhere".

The Argus revealed
And I stopped reading. :p
Regardless, that doesn't mean he isn't willing to sell, it just means that the offers haven't got a level he finds tempting yet. Or he could be play hardball.

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Right....

Just to set a few things out, I'm really not here to argue with anyone, I really can't be bothered with any of that stuff as it's completely pointless and gets us nowhere.

Obviously I just wanted to chat with a few of you regarding Craig Noone who as you well know, we are interested in signing. Firstly though, I have to take you to task on something. I've read your thread on Noone throughout the day and in the most part, it's very good reading. I do have to take a huge exception to the thoughts that a move to Cardiff would be a sideways step and as a couple of people have stated, a backwards step???

With all due respect to you guys, you've spent the last few years in League one etc and in that time, we've been to an FA cup semi final AND FINAL, a playoff final and have been a constant in the top 4 of the Championship (although on a couple of occasions we should have done better, thanks Dave Jones). We are currently 4th in the league again and in the Semi final of the Carling Cup (hoping for your support v Palace, we'll try and do you a favour) so I believe that a move from Brighton to Cardiff is actually a step forward. Don't get me wrong, you boys have ambition and that is clear for all to see with your new stadium and signings like Mackail-Smith but that doesn't mean that we're worse than you.

Anyway, onto Noone....
I've seen this boy play a few times last season and I actuLly thought to myself then that he could be one for the future so I was happy to see that we put a bid in for him. Clearly our two clubs have been in dialogue and as it seems, we're further apart than we'd like to be on the price. Malky has stated that he is unsure whether he will go back in for Noone but from what I understand, he wants him and is likely to get him. I believe we offered £500 (I agree, far too little) and your boys want £1m, but we are likely to meet in the middle on £750k and a deal is likely to be agreed.

I've seen some of your views and it seems like he's thought of highly my the majority of Brighton fans which is a good thing, my question to you is (without Brighton blinkers), how far can Craig Noone go? Is he only ever going to be a decent Championship player or could you see him making it at Premiership level?

Anyway, as I say, I come in peace so I'd like to have a decent chat with you guys and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have for me too?

Is it just me or does that basically read as we are a bigger club that you so therefore we will be able to pay a pittance for a decent player to a club who don't need to sell but should because its a very slight climb up the football pyramid.

We recently paid £300k for him, there are probably add ons and sell on clauses involved too, so why would we sell for such a low price when we don't have to? Even with 750k or even a £1m, would we be able to buy a better player with that money that works in our system? - I doubt it, so we are better off keeping him and he is happy here.

We have ambition finally backed up with decent facilities which we are still in the process of improving (extra seats and new training ground complex on the horizon) We are financially stable for the first time in ages. We no longer have to sell our players cheaply in order to try to balance the books and we are building for the future and a shot at promotion ourselves which doesn't mean selling your star players unless the offer is just too good to turn down or its too good for the player to turn down (Noone's case-Premier League?) so we wouldn't then stand in his way, but i doubt another Championship club would fit this category.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Noone's good, and we need him currently considering how fragile our wingers are (seems all of them) but can see Gus selling him if the right offer comes in, dependent on whether or not we can get a replacement in or how highly Gus rates Simmonds. Thought today would have been a good chance to see him, considering we played 2 wingers from the start but we should probably see him in the replay!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Noone's good, and we need him currently considering how fragile our wingers are (seems all of them) but can see Gus selling him if the right offer comes in, dependent on whether or not we can get a replacement in or how highly Gus rates Simmonds. Thought today would have been a good chance to see him, considering we played 2 wingers from the start but we should probably see him in the replay!

I dont honestly think we'll be looking for a replacement if Noone goes, Gus has said that he's looking for a striker to play alongside CMS so that tells me we'll be going back to playing a front 3 of 2 strikers and a winger that has been poyet's favoured formation since he's been here. When Gus has got the available players to play that formation he only tends to have 2 wingers in the squad and thats 1 starting and 1 on the bench (along with a keeper, defender, central midfielder and a striker) So I could see him using any money from the sale of Noone towards buying a striker or a central midfielder rather than another winger.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dont honestly think we'll be looking for a replacement if Noone goes, Gus has said that he's looking for a striker to play alongside CMS so that tells me we'll be going back to playing a front 3 of 2 strikers and a winger that has been poyet's favoured formation since he's been here. When Gus has got the available players to play that formation he only tends to have 2 wingers in the squad and thats 1 starting and 1 on the bench (along with a keeper, defender, central midfielder and a striker) So I could see him using any money from the sale of Noone towards buying a striker or a central midfielder rather than another winger.

My thoughts as well. Kazenga and Buckley will suffice.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
OK, you heard it hear... I saw and chatted to noone yesterday before the game, and i asked him about the inquiry from Cardiff.

He said "don't worry i am not going anywhere. Even if the club accepted a bid, i wouldn't agree personal terms. I love it here and I am Staying"

he really is a top bloke. I think i have a little bit of Man love for Noone...

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
OK, you heard it hear... I saw and chatted to noone yesterday before the game, and i asked him about the inquiry from Cardiff.

He said "don't worry i am not going anywhere. Even if the club accepted a bid, i wouldn't agree personal terms. I love it here and I am Staying"

he really is a top bloke. I think i have a little bit of Man love for Noone...
thats what benno told me? 2 days later he went to norwich

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Once it is on the back page of the Argus - I am concerned. Traditionally that is part of the softening up process. I think the OP was fair in his assesment, and it would be a step up for Noone at the moment.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Right....

Just to set a few things out, I'm really not here to argue with anyone, I really can't be bothered with any of that stuff as it's completely pointless and gets us nowhere.

Obviously I just wanted to chat with a few of you regarding Craig Noone who as you well know, we are interested in signing. Firstly though, I have to take you to task on something. I've read your thread on Noone throughout the day and in the most part, it's very good reading. I do have to take a huge exception to the thoughts that a move to Cardiff would be a sideways step and as a couple of people have stated, a backwards step???

With all due respect to you guys, you've spent the last few years in League one etc and in that time, we've been to an FA cup semi final AND FINAL, a playoff final and have been a constant in the top 4 of the Championship (although on a couple of occasions we should have done better, thanks Dave Jones). We are currently 4th in the league again and in the Semi final of the Carling Cup (hoping for your support v Palace, we'll try and do you a favour) so I believe that a move from Brighton to Cardiff is actually a step forward. Don't get me wrong, you boys have ambition and that is clear for all to see with your new stadium and signings like Mackail-Smith but that doesn't mean that we're worse than you.

Anyway, onto Noone....
I've seen this boy play a few times last season and I actuLly thought to myself then that he could be one for the future so I was happy to see that we put a bid in for him. Clearly our two clubs have been in dialogue and as it seems, we're further apart than we'd like to be on the price. Malky has stated that he is unsure whether he will go back in for Noone but from what I understand, he wants him and is likely to get him. I believe we offered £500 (I agree, far too little) and your boys want £1m, but we are likely to meet in the middle on £750k and a deal is likely to be agreed.

I've seen some of your views and it seems like he's thought of highly my the majority of Brighton fans which is a good thing, my question to you is (without Brighton blinkers), how far can Craig Noone go? Is he only ever going to be a decent Championship player or could you see him making it at Premiership level?

Anyway, as I say, I come in peace so I'd like to have a decent chat with you guys and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have for me too?
Obviously a JCL Cardiff supporter, how old are you son 18/19?

I remember watching you and Fulham scuffing the ball about in the 4th division in front of 2500 at Ninnian, not too long ago. Its shit or bust this season isn't it?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I do not agree with all this "Cardiff are a step up", they are not. We're in the same division and either team could have a run of good or poor results which take them up or down, the end of the season is the time to think what type of step a move is. For me currently it is no more than siideways.

Value wise, I think that everyone of our players has a price. Noone I believe is £1m to £1.5m with add-on's.

The other slightly amusing point was the Dean Cox comparison. He had one good season and then went rapidly downhill, had a good game in the TV game at Southampton in his last 2 years.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Nailed it. Craig could be worth more to us right now as a pile of tenners rather than as a squad winger. Only Gus and a few others know if that is the case.

Bluebird99

Jan 7, 2012
Obviously a JCL Cardiff supporter, how old are you son 18/19?

I remember watching you and Fulham scuffing the ball about in the 4th division in front of 2500 at Ninnian, not too long ago. Its shit or bust this season isn't it?

28 mate, just the 10 years out. As for sh*t or bust, uhhn no. Really not sure where people are getting our financial problems from? Yes we do have a debt thanks to Sam Hammam and yes we have been in a bit of trouble in the past under Ridsdale but the first thing that the Malaysians did when they came in was to tackle the debt. In the most part, the debt has been significantly reduced and with the money that we do owe, it's been sorted with regular payments to the creditors which our owners have done without fail, hence the face you haven't heard of us being trouble for a good 18 months now.

We've already got rid of the biggest earners like Bothroyd, Chopra, Bellamy and Burke and replaced them with players on less wages and in the most part, signed them on free transfers. Despite all this, we have more points than at this point last season and have lost half the amount of games.

So, in short....no it's definitly NOT sh*t or bust as we have the Carling Cup money on top too but appreciate your interest.

Someone asked me about Earnshaw, his form and if he's part of the deal....

Earnie has't really played a great deal to be honest. We started the season with two up front with Earnie partnering King Kenny but it wasn't working and the game against you boys was a class example of that. We switched toba 4-2-3-1 and that system suits Kenny far better as it's how he plays in Scotland. We'd like to see Earnie play more but it only really works when he's next to a big guy like Rudy Gestede who's been injured quite a bit.

He won't be part of this deal however as we're just as short on strikers and are in the Market for one ourselves, but who knows towards the end of the window??

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
28 mate, just the 10 years out. As for sh*t or bust, uhhn no. Really not sure where people are getting our financial problems from? Yes we do have a debt thanks to Sam Hammam and yes we have been in a bit of trouble in the past under Ridsdale but the first thing that the Malaysians did when they came in was to tackle the debt. In the most part, the debt has been significantly reduced and with the money that we do owe, it's been sorted with regular payments to the creditors which our owners have done without fail, hence the face you haven't heard of us being trouble for a good 18 months now.

We've already got rid of the biggest earners like Bothroyd, Chopra, Bellamy and Burke and replaced them with players on less wages and in the most part, signed them on free transfers. Despite all this, we have more points than at this point last season and have lost half the amount of games.

So, in short....no it's definitly NOT sh*t or bust as we have the Carling Cup money on top too but appreciate your interest.

Someone asked me about Earnshaw, his form and if he's part of the deal....

Earnie has't really played a great deal to be honest. We started the season with two up front with Earnie partnering King Kenny but it wasn't working and the game against you boys was a class example of that. We switched toba 4-2-3-1 and that system suits Kenny far better as it's how he plays in Scotland. We'd like to see Earnie play more but it only really works when he's next to a big guy like Rudy Gestede who's been injured quite a bit.

He won't be part of this deal however as we're just as short on strikers and are in the Market for one ourselves, but who knows towards the end of the window??
Thankyou for the reply.

Would you have preferred the Hammam era not to have happened then? Seems to me that he was the one who lifted you from the floor getting in the likes of Kavanagh, Fortune-West and Gordon. OK he left you a debt, but where would you be now without his input?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I can't believe the negative comments about Noone. I would be very disappointed if we sold him.

It amazes me as well,often this season Noone has looked our only possible threat.We have so many average players at the moment and Nooney isn't one of them.We need to keep him.

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
The fact poyet says its going nowhere at the moment an they'd have to more than significantly up their offer does not scream "not for sale to a competitor" does it? I think poyet will accept a certain amount but its wrong. The bennett situation was different as we were selling to a premiership club. Look how much we've closed the gap on Cardiff in past 12 months, some more good ins and outs and we'll be up there next year for sure.

Noone is a top championship player, you don't many of his style these days being able to jink past a player or 2 with ease. For us to replace him would cost over £1m. Buckley cost us £1m and that's coz Watford were desperate for the cash. Do not sell Gus, not for anything to our competition!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Couple of points...Poyet did not say he is going nowhere, he said the offer is not good enough. Point two, Noone came from Plymouth and a move back to Cardiff may suit him from a personal point of view, as in its a lot closer to scouseland via motorway connections, could be an issue. I think if Poyet could get £700k with a striker thrown in, then he would drive Noone to Cardiff himself and bring back the striker. In answer to the OP original question, never be a prem player in a million years, average mid table championship player who plays in flashes and I think Gus knows this, otherwise he would have killed the deal dead, not left the door open for a better offer. Wonder what Noone thinks of Poyet's comments?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Noone is a top championship player, you don't many of his style these days being able to jink past a player or 2 with ease. For us to replace him would cost over £1m. Buckley cost us £1m and that's coz Watford were desperate for the cash. Do not sell Gus, not for anything to our competition!!

But we wouldn't sell him simply to use the money to replace him. That's an incredibly one dimensional way of looking at this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here