Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff fan re: Noone

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Right....

Just to set a few things out, I'm really not here to argue with anyone, I really can't be bothered with any of that stuff as it's completely pointless and gets us nowhere.

Obviously I just wanted to chat with a few of you regarding Craig Noone who as you well know, we are interested in signing. Firstly though, I have to take you to task on something. I've read your thread on Noone throughout the day and in the most part, it's very good reading. I do have to take a huge exception to the thoughts that a move to Cardiff would be a sideways step and as a couple of people have stated, a backwards step???

With all due respect to you guys, you've spent the last few years in League one etc and in that time, we've been to an FA cup semi final AND FINAL, a playoff final and have been a constant in the top 4 of the Championship (although on a couple of occasions we should have done better, thanks Dave Jones). We are currently 4th in the league again and in the Semi final of the Carling Cup (hoping for your support v Palace, we'll try and do you a favour) so I believe that a move from Brighton to Cardiff is actually a step forward. Don't get me wrong, you boys have ambition and that is clear for all to see with your new stadium and signings like Mackail-Smith but that doesn't mean that we're worse than you.

Anyway, onto Noone....
I've seen this boy play a few times last season and I actuLly thought to myself then that he could be one for the future so I was happy to see that we put a bid in for him. Clearly our two clubs have been in dialogue and as it seems, we're further apart than we'd like to be on the price. Malky has stated that he is unsure whether he will go back in for Noone but from what I understand, he wants him and is likely to get him. I believe we offered £500 (I agree, far too little) and your boys want £1m, but we are likely to meet in the middle on £750k and a deal is likely to be agreed.

I've seen some of your views and it seems like he's thought of highly my the majority of Brighton fans which is a good thing, my question to you is (without Brighton blinkers), how far can Craig Noone go? Is he only ever going to be a decent Championship player or could you see him making it at Premiership level?

Anyway, as I say, I come in peace so I'd like to have a decent chat with you guys and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have for me too?

If we let Noone go for less than 3 million how will we replace him

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I find it amazing that there are so many fans who feel Cardiff are a step up. In my opinion the only way this can be is 1. You feel Cardiff are a top two team. With teams like West Ham, Middlesborough, Southampton, and Leicester in this division I don't believe that there are many people who believe that.
2. You don't believe that we can make the play-offs this season. Which if we sell players like noone to teams like Cardiff, you might be right.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I find it amazing that there are so many fans who feel Cardiff are a step up. In my opinion the only way this can be is 1. You feel Cardiff are a top two team. With teams like West Ham, Middlesborough, Southampton, and Leicester in this division I don't believe that there are many people who believe that.
2. You don't believe that we can make the play-offs this season. Which if we sell players like noone to teams like Cardiff, you might be right.

On top of which, if was a youngster earning his sort of wedge, I know where I'd prefer to live.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I've just been told that Noones contract is up this summer, can anyone confirm/deny this???
Don't think so, we only signed him last January and that would have been at least a two and a half year deal, maybe three and a half.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The idea that Dave Jones someow held Cardiff back is ludicrous. He seldom had any money to spend but still made the club competitive year after year.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
This would anger me if we sell Noone. We have one fit winger right now and that's Buckley and even he isn't fit all the time. If we're serious about making a push for the play offs then we shouldn't be selling one of our main players. We've already lost 2 of our best in the summer and still haven't replaced them properly. We don't need to sell but if 700k was to be offered for Noone then I can see him leaving.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps we should offer 400,000 for Whittingham.

Perhaps we should offer 400,000 for Whittingham.

Cardiff are in a far more perilous state of affairs financially than the Albion. Yes, they have a Malaysian Billionaire pumping money into the club, but he's not reduced their £40m+ debt only increased what they owe by converting his 'loans' into further guaranteed secured debt. All in a gamble to get Premier League status.

The rumour is that if they fail to get promotion this year he's going to cash in the debt. In that case Whittingham will be sold for far less than £400k

If Noone has any sense he'd stay put

Bluebird99

Jan 7, 2012
The idea that Dave Jones someow held Cardiff back is ludicrous. He seldom had any money to spend but still made the club competitive year after year.

There are other ways of holding teams back other than money by the way. How about the fact that in 99.9% of big games, he failed to motivate the players correctly. How about the fact that in massive games, he made massive errors when it came to tactics and personel involved. How about the fact he pretty much forced one of our brightest youth prospects (Adam Matthews) our of the club totally destroying him after he unluckily scored an own goal at Ipswich?

Don't get me wrong, he did masses of good for our club but in his last two seasons, he has squads capable of walking the league and failed so therefor as he lived by the sword, he died by the sword.

Bluebird99

Jan 7, 2012
Cardiff are in a far more perilous state of affairs financially than the Albion. Yes, they have a Malaysian Billionaire pumping money into the club, but he's not reduced their £40m+ debt only increased what they owe by converting his 'loans' into further guaranteed secured debt. All in a gamble to get Premier League status.

The rumour is that if they fail to get promotion this year he's going to cash in the debt. In that case Whittingham will be sold for far less than £400k

If Noone has any sense he'd stay put

This post made me chuckle. No idea where you're getting your facts chief but you're miles out. At no point did the debt ever hit £40m. It was just under £30m which as I've said, has been hugely reduced since Vincent Tan and TG took over. Any debt now has a payment scheme attached and every creditor is now happy with the current terms. Trust me, if we were £40m in debt and struggling, the football world would know it, rather than your wife's,friends, dog down the pub. Hope that helps you out

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
El P, you seem to think that every club is a step up, even the saints that played in front of 14000 at the dingly dell ! Cardiff and Brighton as such similar clubs. Brighton the Charity Shield in 1910, then nothing. Cardiff the FA Cup in 1921 (i think) then nothing. Both clubs massively under achieved with both having a very large fan base. Both clubs now looking to start to realise their potential. Noone will go if Cardiff offer more than Poyet values him for, but he wont if they dont.

I am not sure I agree about the very large fan base. We are certainly heading in the right direction under Tony Bloom. Attendances this season are certainly beyond expectations (including those at the club itself), but let's not get too carried away. I recall attendances fell to below 10,000 when we were in the top flight, and that's when the cost was £1.50 to watch the Albion, not £30.

There are other ways of holding teams back other than money by the way. How about the fact that in 99.9% of big games, he failed to motivate the players correctly. How about the fact that in massive games, he made massive errors when it came to tactics and personel involved. How about the fact he pretty much forced one of our brightest youth prospects (Adam Matthews) our of the club totally destroying him after he unluckily scored an own goal at Ipswich?

Don't get me wrong, he did masses of good for our club but in his last two seasons, he has squads capable of walking the league and failed so therefor as he lived by the sword, he died by the sword.

Or perhaps throwing money on big wages and loan / transfer fees and filling the dressing room full of prima-dona footballers with inflated egos is counter productive? Nobody has a divine right to promotion (as you lot have found out in the past few seasons)

Putting in derisory bids and trying to unsettle footballers (from better run clubs than Cardiff) won't get you far either.

Last edited:

As I posted in the other thread, regardless of whether Cardiff are a step up or not, I am simply "f***ed OFF" big time that they put in a bid of 400k. How dare they put such a shoddy, disrespectful, "We are the big boy" offer in. It is such a pitiful excuse of a bid. How can they possibly think, what with Noone on a 3 1/2 year deal, we would part with his services for 400k. Cardiff you can royaly f*** OFF.

This post made me chuckle. No idea where you're getting your facts chief but you're miles out. At no point did the debt ever hit £40m. It was just under £30m which as I've said, has been hugely reduced since Vincent Tan and TG took over. Any debt now has a payment scheme attached and every creditor is now happy with the current terms. Trust me, if we were £40m in debt and struggling, the football world would know it, rather than your wife's,friends, dog down the pub. Hope that helps you out

How has the debt been reduced - by borrowing off a Malaysian who has secured every penny he's pumped in? Sam Hammam is still waiting in the wings to be paid off from his £30m from 5 years ago FFS

Cardiff City's arrogance knows no bounds.

Bluebird99

Jan 7, 2012
How has the debt been reduced - by borrowing off a Malaysian who has secured every penny he's pumped in? Sam Hammam is still waiting in the wings to be paid off from his £30m from 5 years ago FFS

Cardiff City's arrogance knows no bounds.

Mainly because we aren't "borrowing" from majority share holders as they own the club. Secondly, Sam Hammam is the major guy behind the Langston loan notes and is happy with the reduced terms. It's true that on two separate occasions, he has approached Cardiff about coming back on board and thankfully the Malaysians have declined, another example of how much better we're being run. Also, isnt the fact you claim to know more about my football club than me hypocrisy in itself?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
As I posted in the other thread, regardless of whether Cardiff are a step up or not, I am simply "f***ed OFF" big time that they put in a bid of 400k. How dare they put such a shoddy, disrespectful, "We are the big boy" offer in. It is such a pitiful excuse of a bid. How can they possibly think, what with Noone on a 3 1/2 year deal, we would part with his services for 400k. Cardiff you can royaly f*** OFF.

This. How about we offer the same for Whittingham? I wonder whether they'd think that was a good deal for them. Key Championship player = worth more than 1m. FACT. Find another team in this division who'd willingly sell a prized asset on a 3 year deal, for less than half a million. f***ing joke.

Bluebird99

Jan 7, 2012
This. How about we offer the same for Whittingham? I wonder whether they'd think that was a good deal for them. Key Championship player = worth more than 1m. FACT. Find another team in this division who'd willingly sell a prized asset on a 3 year deal, for less than half a million. f***ing joke.

For a minute there I thought you were going to compare Whittingham to Craig Noone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here