Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff fan re: Noone

Feb 14, 2010
I am not sure I agree about the very large fan base. We are certainly heading in the right direction under Tony Bloom. Attendances this season are certainly beyond expectations (including those at the club itself), but let's not get too carried away. I recall attendances fell to below 10,000 when we were in the top flight, and that's when the cost was £1.50 to watch the Albion, not £30.

Crowds fell because Brighton had a major hooligan problem that was bigger than most both with our fans and also with travelling fans because Brighton is a weekend away. However Brighton have historically always have the larger crowds for the division the play in. The generation above me always think of the Albion with big crowds in the 3rd div, and they were in the crowd when Brighton got 34,000 for games with clubs like Rochdale. Difference is that there was no desire for the Albion to progress in those days. The crowds are now back, but the difference is that the board and fans will also require success.

Mainly because we aren't "borrowing" from majority share holders as they own the club. Secondly, Sam Hammam is the major guy behind the Langston loan notes and is happy with the reduced terms. It's true that on two separate occasions, he has approached Cardiff about coming back on board and thankfully the Malaysians have declined, another example of how much better we're being run. Also, isnt the fact you claim to know more about my football club than me hypocrisy in itself?

My accountant is a huge Cardiff fan (a typical Scummer money laundering thief) who knows far more about the internal goings-on at 'your' club than you. Being a Swansea fan with a vested interest in Cardiff City's financial demise also allows me to read the local Welsh media with interest.

You can come on NSC and try to take the piss about Cardiff's derisory bid for Noone and claim he'd be at a bigger club - but I know different. Brighton has a bigger, more loyal fan base, a far better stadium and a debt that is secured against someone with a love for the club and not money.

Cardiff will be League 1 in a few years and you'll be back supporting Merthyr Town

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Mainly because we aren't "borrowing" from majority share holders as they own the club. Secondly, Sam Hammam is the major guy behind the Langston loan notes and is happy with the reduced terms. It's true that on two separate occasions, he has approached Cardiff about coming back on board and thankfully the Malaysians have declined, another example of how much better we're being run. Also, isnt the fact you claim to know more about my football club than me hypocrisy in itself?

I love NSC, where else would you find Cardiff and Swansea fans going toe to toe (apart from their own boards of course)

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
For a minute there I thought you were going to compare Whittingham to Craig Noone.

I was making no comment on their quality as players, only their importance to the team. Whittingham is one of your key men, Noone is one of ours. So considering we're in the same division and you've offered an absolute pisstake sum for Noone, you must value Whittingham the same. Swim away mate.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I am not sure I agree about the very large fan base. We are certainly heading in the right direction under Tony Bloom. Attendances this season are certainly beyond expectations (including those at the club itself), but let's not get too carried away. I recall attendances fell to below 10,000 when we were in the top flight, and that's when the cost was £1.50 to watch the Albion, not £30.

In those days Reading used to get 4k at home, and Newcastle used to scrape just over 10k in the late 80s. The football world is completely different now and we have the right product to draw all demographics looking for a days entertainment. Our potential is huge, as is Cardiffs

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My accountant is a huge Cardiff fan (a typical Scummer money laundering thief) who knows far more about the internal goings-on at 'your' club than you. Being a Swansea fan with a vested interest in Cardiff City's financial demise also allows me to read the local Welsh media with interest.

You can come on NSC and try to take the piss about Cardiff's derisory bid for Noone and claim he'd be at a bigger club - but I know different. Brighton has a bigger, more loyal fan base, a far better stadium and a debt that is secured against someone with a love for the club and not money.

Cardiff will be League 1 in a few years and you'll be back supporting Merthyr Town
My earlier 'shit or bust' comment was a direct quote from a Cardiff City player (granted it was a conversation I had in the summer). Cardiff look like they'll be joining Swansea in the PL anyhow on current form, so it could all work out alright.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In those days Reading used to get 4k at home, and Newcastle used to scrape just over 10k in the late 80s. The football world is completely different now and we have the right product to draw all demographics looking for a days entertainment. Our potential is huge, as is Cardiffs

I agree that we both have the same potential, but Cardiff do have the advantage of being higher in the table and more players with CCC experience. Personally if I was Noone I would stay unless they offered more money, because I think Brighton is a far better city to live in, but we don't know how impatient he is for a chance of playing in the play-offs this season, or whether they are offering substantially more money. He is on a L1 contract, so probably no more than £2k a week. they could easily treble that. It could be good news for Nooney if Gus wants to keep him and offers a new contract.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I really don't want Nooney to go - he is a great little player for us.
If he does go and goes for less than £1M or £1.5M you've got a steal.

Despite having said this I have no anti Welsh bent - many is the time I've been on the old Bob Bank at Ninian with my Welsh mates and had a great day out with a few pints of Dark before and after the game - happy days when you were in the lower levels and had Rick Wright as chairman !
And I'm sure I join with all of us in wishing you luck on Tuesday against the pikeys from Selhurst

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Good to see you again [MENTION=14022]natterjack[/MENTION]. Are you going to be involved in building our Academy?!

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
If he does go and goes for less than £1M or £1.5M you've got a steal.

Really? Bennett went for £1.5Million and he had 28 assists and something like 8 goals. Noone has maybe 2/3 assists and 1/2 goals. On his day he is a class little player but he's pretty inconsistent lately, he has no final product either. £750,000 would mean we've made over double what we got him for so I don't think it's a steal BUT we really don't need to sell at all, we have 4 wingers, 3 are injured and Buckley isn't always fit so if we were to sell Noone then we'd have to get someone in very sharpish because otherwise we really will make it hard for ourselves in this league.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Really? Bennett went for £1.5Million and he had 28 assists and something like 8 goals. Noone has maybe 2/3 assists and 1/2 goals. On his day he is a class little player but he's pretty inconsistent lately, he has no final product either. £750,000 would mean we've made over double what we got him for so I don't think it's a steal BUT we really don't need to sell at all, we have 4 wingers, 3 are injured and Buckley isn't always fit so if we were to sell Noone then we'd have to get someone in very sharpish because otherwise we really will make it hard for ourselves in this league.

if he does leave will you be changing your username???

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus

Noone: 2 goals, 2 assists
Buckley: 3 goals, 0 assists
Kaz: 0 goals, 1 assist

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

good to hear from you! How I wish you were a Brighton fan but having us as your second team will just have to do. Great post and delighted that you are establishing yourselves in the prem and still playing "proper" football.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
If you new the plans the club had and is investing another £30 million in infrastucture you would realise it is a sideways step.

some people need to get a bit of a grip on this issue.

the point was not whether the Albion is on par with Cardiff in terms of potential, future investment, or history.

the reality is that Cardiff are currently an established Championship club, with recent history of playoff finishes and cup success. Brighton are a newly promoted club who are currently going through a process of consolodation before attempting to push for the Prem. BUT Noone could clearly decide that Cardiff offer the most immediate opportunity of the Prem.

things like the academy (yet to even receive planning permission) are frankly inconsequential to this discussion

edit: On the subject of Noone as a player - very exciting prospect, imho has greater ability at taking on players than Kaz (less obvious how and where he'll take the ball). his weakness is still his distribution and reliance on left peg - which would probably be exposed by top defenders.

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
some people need to get a bit of a grip on this issue.

the point was not whether the Albion is on par with Cardiff in terms of potential, future investment, or history.

the reality is that Cardiff are currently an established Championship club, with recent history of playoff finishes and cup success. Brighton are a newly promoted club who are currently going through a process of consolodation before attempting to push for the Prem. BUT Noone could clearly decide that Cardiff offer the most immediate opportunity of the Prem.

things like the academy (yet to even receive planning permission) are frankly inconsequential to this discussion

edit: On the subject of Noone as a player - very exciting prospect, imho has greater ability at taking on players than Kaz (less obvious how and where he'll take the ball). his weakness is still his distribution and reliance on left peg - which would probably be exposed by top defenders.

Not on last nights performance IMHO

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Not on last nights performance IMHO

fair enough - i didn't watch it.

don't get me wrong, i personally wouldn't make the move. i think the clubs are going in opposite directions. but people need to recognise we're still putting our roots down in the top half of the football league - def. where we belong, but somewhere we've been fleetingly present over the last 20 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here