Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hodgson
Redknapp
Pearce
Bruce
Shearer
Hoddle

6 names of the top of my head, im sure there are others who should all be considered for the Role when Capello goes.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, some people's definition of the word 'improve' is interesting. Anyone who was at that disgraceful England home game against Germany, the last at 'old Wembley' when Keegan resigned knows Sven did improve us. In fact, how we ended up winning that group is a miracle. He just ran out of ideas a bit against the very best teams in his three major quarter-finals, and didn't seize some opportunities.

McClaren looked way out of his depth, and under Capello we slaughtered Croatia twice and qualified, whereas he didn't. I don't really see hos that isn't an improvement either. It's all relative, we were desperate at the finals, but from where we were, definitely an improvement.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Capello is on 6 million they say.

I will take a £20 wager with you now money to REMF, that when the next England Manager is appointed that they will be on half what Capello is on at most.

You're still missing the central point.

There are no English managers who are as good as the best foreign managers. The reasons, as have been said on here time and again are many and various, though most are laid at the FA's door.

In other words, draw up a list of the world's top 20 managers or even top 50 managers. How many are English? And of the top English managers you could find, how many could hold their own or compete with the best managers of the other nations that we would need to beat to succeed?

The level of salary, in terms of what it will achieve, is way down the list.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hodgson
Redknapp
Pearce
Bruce
Shearer
Hoddle

6 names of the top of my head, im sure there are others who should all be considered for the Role when Capello goes.

I think your list may be close on the 'English' front. Personally I wouldn't consider Shearer, not in fact because he doesn't have the experience because with the right man that can work. From his TV stuff he just doesn't seem bright or tactically aware enough for the gig. Redknapp should at least be considered, as should Pearce and Hodgson. Bruce may be interviewed (I wouldn't) and I can't see Hoddle coming back after last time. They'd have to beg him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You're still missing the central point.

There are no English managers who are as good as the best foreign managers. The reasons, as have been said on here time and again are many and various, though most are laid at the FA's door.

In other words, draw up a list of the world's top 20 managers or even top 50 managers. How many are English? And of the top English managers you could find, how many could hold their own or compete with the best managers of the other nations that we would need to beat to succeed?

The level of salary, in terms of what it will achieve, is way down the list.

The main problem in recent years is the lack of opportunity at Big Club sides in England for Englishmen to get the top roles.

With Ferguson and Wenger being around so long 2 of the top 4 jobs in the country are just not open.

And with Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool all under foreign ownership they just dont look at it like i do.

Thankfully Liverpool have at least given an Englishmen a go.

I really dont think any of the other World Managers with the exception of a couple could and have done any better than an Englishmen could do.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Despite EVIDENCE to the contrary.

(See Tooting's Croatia example)

Mclaren just didnt have the character or the respect of the players to pull the England job off. Its about Respect and dealing wth players at England level. Not coaching.

Most of the names on my list do have the above qualities.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The main problem in recent years is the lack of opportunity at Big Club sides in England for Englishmen to get the top roles.

With Ferguson and Wenger being around so long 2 of the top 4 jobs in the country are just not open.

And with Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool all under foreign ownership they just dont look at it like i do.

Thankfully Liverpool have at least given an Englishmen a go.

I really dont think any of the other World Managers with the exception of a couple could and have done any better than an Englishmen could do.

To quote one or two others on here... absolute bollocks.

With the exception of Arsenal and Manchester United, every club has had every opportunity to appoint an Englishman as manager.

I would say you've hit one nail on the head with your 'foreign owners' comment; people who aren't so inward-looking and narrow of thought as to think that they should employ an Englishman just because they're in England. Why? Because they want the best they can possibly get, and there aren't any Englishmen who are good enough.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
To quote one or two others on here... absolute bollocks.

With the exception of Arsenal and Manchester United, every club has had every opportunity to appoint an Englishman as manager.

I would say you've hit one nail on the head with your 'foreign owners' comment; people who aren't so inward-looking and narrow of thought as to think that they should employ an Englishman just because they're in England. Why? Because they want the best they can possibly get, and there aren't any Englishmen who are good enough.

absolute shite there are plenty good enough just they are too shit scared to give them a go in favour of foreign coaches like Gullit, Vialli, Zola, Avram Grant, Tigana, Christian Gross, the list is endless of shite foreign managers over the years with no record at all in management given a go ahead of Englishmen in this country.

Id rather have Holloway in charge the Capello at present to be honest, at least he would want the job.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Hodgson
Redknapp
Pearce
Bruce
Shearer
Hoddle

Great shame that Hoddle is mad otherwise a good shout but Eileen Drewery?? We can't go there again.

Stuart Pearce, Steve Bruce are nowhere near good enough and Shearer was a disaster at Newcastle so absolutely not.

Which leaves Redknapp & Hodgson from your list as the only credible candidates.

So you can see the consequences of the FA's stupidity to insist on an Englishman can't you. It narrows the choice to an absurdly small list. It's an idiotic mistake.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Great shame that Hoddle is mad otherwise a good shout but Eileen Drewery?? We can't go there again.

Stuart Pearce, Steve Bruce are nowhere near good enough and Shearer was a disaster at Newcastle so absolutely not.

Which leaves Redknapp & Hodgson from your list as the only credible candidates.

So you can see the consequences of the FA's stupidity to insist on an Englishman can't you. It narrows the choice to an absurdly small list. It's an idiotic mistake.

Opinion is divided on the matter. Marshy says it isn't, everybody else says it is.

tve843-00000003-42.gif

:dunce:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Id have Hoddle back in charge tommorow. I thought he was top drawer and we were really progressing nicely under him until the nonsense.
He was a young man then, no doubt would have done things differently with a few more years experience.

A great shame.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
absolute shite there are plenty good enough just they are too shit scared to give them a go in favour of foreign coaches like Gullit, Vialli, Zola, Avram Grant, Tigana, Christian Gross, the list is endless of shite foreign managers over the years with no record at all in management given a go ahead of Englishmen in this country.

Surely, if you're the chairman of a Premier League club you would want the best possible manager you can get. You seem to be saying that a chairman would rather a crap foreign manager over a good English one. That's surely bollocks - any club would want the best manager available whether he's English, Italian or Martian.

And of your list, Zola, Grant, Tigana and Gross all had managerial experience before being appointed to Prem League clubs.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Going back to the point though, even these so called superstar managers that have had success are not coaches, most of them had English coaches doing the dirty work for them, Mourinho had Steve Clarke, Ferguson had Mclaren, Phelan, Mclair amongst others, even Wenger trusts his coaching to the likes of Brady and Pat Rice.

Its a proper man manger we need in charge of the England side.

I wouldnt write off the likes of Shearer on the back of 7 weeks in charge at Newcastle or Pearce.
As for Bruce why not ?...I dont think he has done bad at Wigan and Sunderland and now has plenty of top flight management Experience.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Id rather have Holloway in charge the Capello at present to be honest, at least he would want the job.

Your logic is about as arse-on-end as you can get.

I'll agree that some clubs have gone for shite foreign PLAYERS over English ones - that's usually either a financial reason or a 'kudos' reason (look at us, we can attract 'flair' players...) As for managers, absolute bollocks.

Still if you think that employing English managers, whose track record regarding national titles or cups domestically over the past two decades is embarrassingly woeful, is the way forward, you carry on. In this instance, I'll take pragmatism over pride any day.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Going back to the point though, even these so called superstar managers that have had success are not coaches, most of them had English coaches doing the dirty work for them, Mourinho had Steve Clarke, Ferguson had Mclaren, Phelan, Mclair amongst others, even Wenger trusts his coaching to the likes of Brady and Pat Rice.

Its a proper man manger we need in charge of the England side.

I wouldnt write off the likes of Shearer on the back of 7 weeks in charge at Newcastle or Pearce.
As for Bruce why not ?...I dont think he has done bad at Wigan and Sunderland and now has plenty of top flight management Experience.

You think that being manager of Wigan Athletic or Sunderland gives someone the necessary credentials to make the enormous leap to the next level?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Surely, if you're the chairman of a Premier League club you would want the best possible manager you can get. You seem to be saying that a chairman would rather a crap foreign manager over a good English one. That's surely bollocks - any club would want the best manager available whether he's English, Italian or Martian.

And of your list, Zola, Grant, Tigana and Gross all had managerial experience before being appointed to Prem League clubs.

They would rather take a gamble on an untried foreign manager than an Englishmen who has plied his traded in the lower leagues say for a few years that is plain to see.
They go for a name thats all as thats what people want. The Stupid people that is.

Having said that....I love GUS :thumbsup:

Im not saying every appointmnet has to be English but come on give them a go every now and then !

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Hodgson is by far the best qualified englishman for the job. Redknapp, as much as he is a cock, would probably command the respect of the players and he is a decent manager. Big Sam has done very well at Blackburn to restore his repuation but would he adapt his style?

I would consider using promising young managers intermittently with the various national sides, perhaps the likes of Tisdale and Howe doing work with the U19. U20 and u21 age groups as part of nurturing programme.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You think that being manager of Wigan Athletic or Sunderland gives someone the necessary credentials to make the enormous leap to the next level?

Yes why not ? If he does a good job.

With your criteria we will NEVER have an Englishmen in charge of ENGLAND again.

EVER

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here