Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cappelo to leave after Euro 2012

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Going back to the point though, even these so called superstar managers that have had success are not coaches, most of them had English coaches doing the dirty work for them, Mourinho had Steve Clarke, Ferguson had Mclaren, Phelan, Mclair amongst others, even Wenger trusts his coaching to the likes of Brady and Pat Rice.

Its a proper man manger we need in charge of the England side.

I wouldnt write off the likes of Shearer on the back of 7 weeks in charge at Newcastle or Pearce.
As for Bruce why not ?...I dont think he has done bad at Wigan and Sunderland and now has plenty of top flight management Experience.

So because people haven't done "badly" they should be given serious consideration to manage our national side? Is that the criteria? You would obviously settle for far less but I want winners with a proven track record of achievement at the highest level of the game behind them before they would even be considered. This is England we're talking about not Wigan Atheltic.

Shearer couldn't generate any team spirit let alone save them from relegation. Did you see Newcastle's final game v Villa when they went down? It was one of the most risible performances ever witnessed. No, Alan Shearer is a million miles away from being a credible England management candidate.

Bruce has never won anything nor even managed a team in European competiton. Stuart Pearce, likeable though he is, is just not up to the job.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Coaching is a major issue but it is not at International level.
We have top quality coaches just not enough as i have mentioned.

Its a Manager we are after, great if they can coach as well but not required to manage England. Someone who can manage players and tactically make the correct decisions.

Sadly the man we have cant do that. And is football Dinosaur like Sven.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So because people haven't done "badly" they should be given serious consideration to manage our national side? Is that the criteria? You would obviously settle for far less but I want winners with a proven track record of achievement at the highest level of the game behind them before they would even be considered. This is England we're talking about not Wigan Atheltic.

Shearer couldn't generate any team spirit let alone save them from relegation. Did you see Newcastle's final game v Villa when they went down? It was one of the most risible performances ever witnessed. No, Alan Shearer is a million miles away from being a credible England management candidate.

Bruce has never won anything nor even managed a team in European competiton. Stuart Pearce, likeable though he is, is just not up to the job.

As i said previously you cannot judge Shearer on his 7 weeks if that at Newcastle when that club was a shambles.

Wil, people please get over this must have won a major trophy, must be managing in Champ League bollox.
Sure ideal but not a reason to discount someone.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I want winners with a proven track record of achievement at the highest level of the game .

I do think you have to broaden it a bit from that. Under those criteria, Joachim Loew would not have got the Germany job, because apart from a brief spell at Stuttgart his time as a manager was very low profile before Klinsmann made him No2. However, those in the know knew how talented he was, it didn't matter he hadn't managed Bayern Munich.

If someone has innate natural ability, there must be people at the FA who can spot that (maybe that's the problem, there aren't) even if they haven't already managed a title-winning side in England, Spain, or Italy, or taken an international side to the latter stages of a big tournament. It's brave, but that's what Germany were.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Its a Manager we are after, great if they can coach as well but not required to manage England. Someone who can manage players and tactically make the correct decisions.

Roy Hodgson is the highest qualified English manager currently plying his trade, having had experience abroad both at club and international level, and had an English club play in Europe (and do bloody well out of it).

After that, success on national league level, European club experience and international experience is pathetically thin on the ground.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Don't chairmen/chairmans and football associations overseas have more to choose from within their borders because their number of professional coaches with the necessary training badges is so much greater than our on-the-job see-how-it-goes lot?
One of the problems the FA have is that they have little power to really change football in the UK because of the bulbous moneybags of the Premier League who in essence are not looking for improvement to sport.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I do think you have to broaden it a bit from that. Under those criteria, Joachim Loew would not have got the Germany job, because apart from a brief spell at Stuttgart his time as a manager was very low profile before Klinsmann made him No2. However, those in the know knew how talented he was, it didn't matter he hadn't managed Bayern Munich.

If someone has innate natural ability, there must be people at the FA who can spot that (maybe that's the problem, there aren't) even if they haven't already managed a title-winning side in England, Spain, or Italy, or taken an international side to the latter stages of a big tournament. It's brave, but that's what Germany were.

Fully agree, but he was the product of a system, written by Howard Wilkinson, ignored by the FA, and taken up by the DFB.

Sadly, as you allude to, our system wouldn't have the procedures in place to allow someone with that kind of talent to be nurtured and promoted. Here, you have to prove yourself at club level first, and no Englishman is really doing that.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would happily have Hodgson or Redknapp in charge.
I take it now redknapp has got spurs to the champions league he is now a candidate.... where as before he wasnt...

If redknapp was given a go at a bigger club 10 years ago he would have had years of champions league exerience, but nobody was prepared to give him a shot.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

It's a fair point Tooting. The huge difference between us and the Germans is their coaching set up is just much, much better than ours. It's the strength of the German system ( and French etc) which allows people like Loew to come up and do so well, completely unlike ours. I'm all for bravery but there must be the talent in the first place. The problem is, and has been for a long time, in England it's not there.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Can't you make your bloody mind up! First you are stating that these successful overseas managers have done it on the basis of a layer of coaches underneath doing the dirty work, ie. leaving them to be man managers and pick the team. Then you say you actually want a man manager and coaching at international level isn't important.

Well, the manager picks the team and decides tactics and formation, not the coaches. Fergusson may have had coaches under him but which English ones have gone on to be successful? That goes for the coaches under the likes of Wenger, Mourinho etc etc.

It seems you are prepared to see the England team fail just to satisfy your desire to have an Englishman in charge. Well, personally, I'd like to see the English team succeed, preferably with an Englishman in charge but if they aren't up to the job, then I am happy with a foreign coach.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Nothing would give me greater pleasure than England to win Euro 2012 or the World Cup.

If he isnt staying till the World Cup though i dont see the point of keeping him on, we have already virtually guarnteed qualification with the 2 wins, it make sense to me to change it now and really start gearing for 4 years time.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Id have Hoddle back in charge tommorow. I thought he was top drawer and we were really progressing nicely under him until the nonsense.
He was a young man then, no doubt would have done things differently with a few more years experience.

A great shame.

But he has done so well since England. Sacked by Spurs, then sacked by Wolves in the Championship, since 2006 no club has gone near him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But he has done so well since England. Sacked by Spurs, then sacked by Wolves in the Championship, since 2006 no club has gone near him.

You're barking up the wrong tree. I don't think Marshy sees abject failure as an obstacle to being an England manager!!!!!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You're barking up the wrong tree. I don't think Marshy sees abject failure as an obstacle to being an England manager!!!!!

More like i dont see European success as any guarantee of being a good England manager.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So, you think Sven was a failure at Man City!

Yes reaally, what did they win.... ? that seems to be the only criteria that matter to people with regard to the england manager on here.
If he had been a success they would have kept him.
He was sacked wasnt he, just like Hoddle at Spurs.

Success at club level means nothing really when it comes to managing england.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here