Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cappelo to leave after Euro 2012

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
the german "they've got loads of foreigners aint they" thing is always blown out of proportion

to my knowledge it's only really cacau (who was only a squad player) that has no real links with germany...people like klose and podolski have lived there since fairly young and certainly before they were playing football

when france filled their team with african born/african origin players in 1998 and 2002 it was a "triumph for multi culturalism" yet when germany do it it's somehow dodgy?

Yep that's cos they're the enemy :thumbsup:

It does happen in most countries and it will always happen. Different people will have different views on it but it simply won't change. I do feel sorry for Poland though!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
OK, he wasn't English but in 1997 John Charles was voted Juventus's best ever foreign player - ahead of Platini and Zidane.

Indeed.
Just further illustrates the point though dunnit. Maybe not just the english, but British footballers in general rarely look to broaden their horizons beyond these shores.

"I just couldn't settle in Italy. It was like living in a foreign country."

I. Rush.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
the german "they've got loads of foreigners aint they" thing is always blown out of proportion

to my knowledge it's only really cacau (who was only a squad player) that has no real links with germany...people like klose and podolski have lived there since fairly young and certainly before they were playing football

when france filled their team with african born/african origin players in 1998 and 2002 it was a "triumph for multi culturalism" yet when germany do it it's somehow dodgy?

its because its germany isnt it

podolski, klose etc have just as much right to play for germany having spent their lifes growing up there as hargreaves does for england having done so purely due to his father being english

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
he got the job at the wrong time because of their desperation to have an english manager - unfortunately, the backlash that will follow should he even be considered again means that no matter what he achieves abroad he wont get another crack at the top job

Let's be honest though he was also the author of his own misfortune. Had he not had 'new manager, new broom' syndrome perhaps he would have continued to pick Beckham from the outset of the Euro campaign and I suspect we would have qualified. As it was, if I recall, it was when Beckham was brought back into the fold that the campaign was revived, faltering on the last game thanks to some dodgy goalkeeping from an inexperienced youngster (McLaren's selection) and even then, we turned round a two goal deficit which, had it remained that way, would have seen us in the Euros.

I would happily stand to be corrected on this, because I can't be bothered to check them all, but don't ALL the other better countries have and have always had (maybe always will) homegrown managers?

I am thinking Italy, Holland, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, France, Sweden...if that is right, you can't simply dismiss it as xenophobic, for one reason or another all these countries feel the national side will best be put together, coached and motivated by a compatriot if possible.

I would actually agree that the FA have unnecessarily limited their 2012 options, you want the best man for the job. But I also think most people in this country would, given candidates of EQUAL ability (and no, they're not at the moment) want an Englishman in charge. At the very least we'd all like to see a conveyor belt of talented young English coaches in positions of responsibility and providing a decent shortlist, just like we'd all like to see a talented crop of young English players playing regularly in the top flight.

No offence but I think you are stating the bleeding obvious though. The question is whether we want a foreign manager or an English manager but whether you want an Englishman regardless of ability or whether you want the best man for the job. If two candidates were of equal or very similar ability and one was English then of course the Englishman should get the job but that isn't the way of the world. We don't have coaches who seek to learn abroad just as we don't have many players that are prepared to do that so it is difficult to see when the cycle will change. Let's not forget but I think the last English coach to win the Premiership/Old 1st Div was Howard Wilkinson (I stand to be corrected of course).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We've had foreign managers for 2 of the last 3 appointments because there aren't enough good managers to choose from who would want the job.

The reason for this is that we're not producing good English managers (any more).

The reason for this is IMO probably because the world game has got more sophisticated and technical, to the point that deficiencies can no longer be covered up by passion and desire or whatever. Instead, you need properly qualified, technical coaches with the relevant badges. In Germany there are about 11,000 such people. In Spain there are 9,000. In England there are less than 2,000.

Sort it out at grass roots, and eventually the problem will sort itself out. In the mean time, the FA ought to be stuck with appointing foreign managers because the chances are that they are the better managers.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
have England improved with foreign managers ?

In my opinion no

Worth paying 3 times more than anyone else ?

No

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
have England improved with foreign managers ?

In my opinion no

Worth paying 3 times more than anyone else ?

No

Those are two separate issues though. The answer to the first is clearly yes. We were a shambles under Keegan until Sven took over and then. after three QFs, we get an Englishman and fail to qualify. Capello then rectifies the situation.

As to the second point, of course we shouldn't be. But look at the amount we paid McClaren off - do you really think an English manager would take a massive salary drop?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I think Capello is a good manager........

but he has not handled situations well.

He should not have let Beckham come back

He has no control over our "celeb footballers"

The Fa seem to have allowed him to make some ridiculous interviews and gaffs

He is a million times better than Erikson who was only here for the money

He is a dead man walking from now on and will be on his way at great expense to us if we lose.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Let's be honest though he was also the author of his own misfortune. Had he not had 'new manager, new broom' syndrome perhaps he would have continued to pick Beckham from the outset of the Euro campaign and I suspect we would have qualified. As it was, if I recall, it was when Beckham was brought back into the fold that the campaign was revived, faltering on the last game thanks to some dodgy goalkeeping from an inexperienced youngster (McLaren's selection) and even then, we turned round a two goal deficit which, had it remained that way, would have seen us in the Euros

beckham only started ONE qualifier in that campaign - away to estonia. to say that it was that moment that turned things around is ludicrous. if anything, it was when barry and heskey were recalled that things took off with a convincing wins at home to russia, israel and estonia. dropping him completely was undoubtedly a mistake, but once it became clear he wasnt going to be playing for madrid either for the first part of that season i think sticking with the decision to play players playing with their clubs was the right one

at the end of the day though i would be an idiot to say he was blameless. that croatia game was a cock up from start to finish. a rookie 'keeper on a wet night as a knne jerk reaction to your up until then dependable number one making a mistake summed it up really. the trouble with mcclaren is that he got the job too soon as a result of the fa's desperation for an english manager. the one promising young coach we did have was thrust into the job far too early in his development when he needed a couple more bigger jobs beforehand. now he is proving what a good manager he actually is, but because the media and the fans called for an english manager he is a clown as far as most people are concerned

with the mistakes of last time and the fact he is the only english manager out there experiencing how things are done in countries far better than us, i think you would see a marked improvement if he were given the job again - which, i appreciate, is about as likely as john terry winning a husband of the year accolade

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Let's try and get a positive. We know we haven't got many, but who are the best and brightest young English managers?

I have heard a lot of good things about Paul Tisdale at Exeter, and Paul Buckle at Torquay. Hopefully that's not the complete list...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Those are two separate issues though. The answer to the first is clearly yes. We were a shambles under Keegan until Sven took over and then. after three QFs, we get an Englishman and fail to qualify. Capello then rectifies the situation.

As to the second point, of course we shouldn't be. But look at the amount we paid McClaren off - do you really think an English manager would take a massive salary drop?

Not seperate issues at all. Would Sven and Capello have taken the job for 2 million a year ? No

Im sorry but we have not improved at all under the 2 foriegn coaches.
I would say Capello has been extremely lucky to get 2 of the easiest qualifying group in recent memory.

Yes and i do think an English manager would take the drop to 2 million a year lets say. Thats the offer take it or leave it.
Any Englishmen offered the job would snap your hands of for it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not seperate issues at all. Would Sven and Capello have taken the job for 2 million a year ? No

I would say Capello has been extremely lucky to get 2 of the easiest qualifying group in recent memory.

Yes and i do think an English manager would take the drop to 2 million a year lets say. Thats the offer take it or leave it.
Absolute bollocks I'd say. What on Earth makes you think anyone will take a pay cut to run the national side.

You're living in cloud cukoo land. The reason Capello was offered a high salary was because he was perceived to be among the best. The same would apply to an Englishman if he happened to be the best.

That's completely wrong though, isn't it? Do you remember the shambles under Keegan? And what exactly was the difference between the Euro group containing Croatia and Russia that we failed to even make 2nd place in under McClaren and the WC group containing Croatia and Ukraine that we won at a canter undert Capello?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Well, I prefer to go on results and quite clearly England's results were better under Ericksson than they were under Keegan and quite clearly results under Capello were better than they were under McClaren. You say that England had an easy group for the WC but those "easy" teams included Croatia who beat us twice under tried and trusted Englishmen McClaren.

No, of course Sven and Capello wouldn't have taken the job for under £2m but my point was that an Englishman wouldn't either. McClaren's salary was £2.5m - more than twice as much as Loew earns at Germany. Would Redknapp, say, take the job for a million or so - somehow I doubt it.

Fabio Capello's big deal to be England manager - Telegraph

I think the salary that England Capello is ludicrous but that's because it's too high not that we shouldn't be paying that much.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Absolute bollocks I'd say. What on Earth makes you think anyone will take a pay cut to run the national side.

You're living in cloud cukoo land. The reason Capello was offered a high salary was because he was perceived to be among the best. The same would apply to an Englishman if he happened to be the best.

Capello is on 6 million they say.

I will take a £20 wager with you now money to REMF, that when the next England Manager is appointed that they will be on half what Capello is on at most.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I see Steve Bruce has now thrown his hat into the ring to replace Capello. Thanks to the staggering stupidity of the FA this is the calibre of manager England are now being linked with. They are morons.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Everyone can have opinions but it's insane to say Sven didn't improve us.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Capello is on 6 million they say.

I will take a £20 wager with you now money to REMF, that when the next England Manager is appointed that they will be on half what Capello is on at most.
I'm not arguing that point.

Capello commands £6m a year because his CV determines that he can. Jose Mourinho would probably command even more. If an Englishman would take the job for £2m a year then that is because they are not good enough to earn more. What you actually said was this:

And I'm saying that I don't agree that any English manager would take a DROP in salary to run the national team. I am saying two things actually. Firstly, you are deluded if you think they would do so. Secondly, none of them are actually good enough to be in a position to take a drop in salary to £2m a year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here