Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cappello resigns (merged)

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Does anyone else get the feeling that Capello "bottled" it before the Euros and the Terry incident has played into his hand. In the South Africa World Cup England flopped with the "golden era" players whatever that means. With 6 months left on his contract and the Euro finals looming, why quit now, unless he feared he was going to flop again?

I think it may well have suited Capello, it suited the FA, it suited the fans. I hope it doesn't go to the lawyers. Anyway - there was ONLY (ha) five months left on his contract.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Does anyone else get the feeling that Capello "bottled" it before the Euros and the Terry incident has played into his hand. In the South Africa World Cup England flopped with the "golden era" players whatever that means. With 6 months left on his contract and the Euro finals looming, why quit now, unless he feared he was going to flop again?

No.

Rooney sulked because he knew deep down his wife was about to find out his dirty little secret.

And sorry, but Ozil, Muller, Sweinsteiger, Podolski, Klose, Lamn ... were a class above Barry, Terry, Lampard & other donkeys.

The golden generation was the era of the missed trick under the useless Sven, when Cole, Gerrard, Rooney, Beckham, J.Cole, Owen, Ferdinand etc were on fire.

No.

Rooney sulked because he knew deep down his wife was about to find out his dirty little secret.

And sorry, but Ozil, Muller, Sweinsteiger, Podolski, Klose, Lamn ... were a class above Barry, Terry, Lampard & other donkeys.

The golden generation was the era of the missed trick under the useless Sven, when Cole, Gerrard, Rooney, Beckham, J.Cole, Owen, Ferdinand etc were on fire.

Sven wasn't useless.... Best record in major tournaments since Alf Ramsey, and Capello has the BEST win ratio for an England manager ever. I think people don't realise that other nations are just so much better than us

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
To be honest, terry should have stood down himself, as he should have known that this would overshadow footballing matters. Let's face it, no England captain should ever be booed by his own fans like he has been at Wembley. Whilst I think he is an odious excuse of a man, with history showing what lengths he has gone to to protect his own reputation at any cost, his refusal to stand aside forced the FA to take matters into their own hands. As they are Capellos manager, he doesn't have to like their decision, but has to respect it..
Let's face it, we were never gong to win the Euros under Capello, so now we are in a no lose position. Let Pearce step up in the shor term, until the new man gets chosen.
As for Terry.....well I hope that justice is done and he never wears an England shirt again.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If Harry steps up will Spurs come for Gus?

don't panic, I really don't think, with Spurs now a top 3 side, they will give the reigns to someone as inexperienced as Gus, in his second full season as manager.

Mourinho to spurs more like, even if it is Gus (which it wont be) , Warnock is available.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
At last someone mentions Gus. This is immediately what sprung to my mind when I heard the news.

HOW IN DANGER ARE WE?

not all imho, it won't be Gus. Brendon Rogers who has been managing longer, plays flowing attacking football and has actually taken Swansea into PL and made them competitve, is far more likely to get the nod than Gus. Still think they will go for someone with european experience. They are a champion league team now.

Gus has 1 league 1 title and is in second full season. no chance

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
don't panic, I really don't think, with Spurs now a top 3 side, they will give the reigns to someone as inexperienced as Gus, in his second full season as manager.

Mourinho to spurs more like, even if it is Gus (which it wont be) , Warnock is available.

I think you're right, it's only his 2nd full season so the risk may be too much but who else is there? And don't for a minute think Jose would go to run down pikey old Tottingham from Madrid. He wants BIG money and a shiny new stadium.
My hope is that after Harry's almost emotional praise of all things Spurs today he will go back after the summer and leave England to Pearce or someone. But one thing is for sure, Harry is leading England out in the Ukraine.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
very interesting timing with everything else that is going on involving Terry, Redknapp etc...Capello has moved on at the right time

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
not all imho, it won't be Gus. Brendon Rogers who has been managing longer, plays flowing attacking football and has actually taken Swansea into PL and made them competitve, is far more likely to get the nod than Gus. Still think they will go for someone with european experience. They are a champion league team now.

Gus has 1 league 1 title and is in second full season. no chance

Brendan Rogers, forgot all about him, shit hot at the moment. We'll be fine, thanks for putting my mind at ease

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Capello has been saying for years, that he doesn't understand the English over-obsession for who the captain is

So to resign over it, doesn't ring right with me.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Never mind. Didn't rate him anyway. Made his position untenable with some pretty stupid comments. Personally I think he deliberately manipulated the situation (his comments not the Terry situation) so he could get out. Hopefully he doesn't get compensation if he quits.

You're a prize fool if you think the situation was manipulated by the Capello rather than the FA!!!!!

The FA made his position untennable by saying who he can and can't have as skipper...usual f*** up by the powers that be and fair play to him for standing by his guns

This but unfortunately will go flying of the heads of the xenophobes!!!

I think the FA did the right thing. If he hasn't got the sense/balls/decency to make the right decision by geting rid of Terry then they had to. Terry should never have had the captaincy given back to him in the first place. Good riddance if you ask me.

If the FA were so high and mighty then Terry should have been dismisssed when he was charged by the CPS back in December, not when the court date was set!

Sorry but it was one of the few things the FA have got right. The vast majority of organisations would place anyone accused of gross misconduct on precautionary suspension. Terry, has in fact, been treated more gently.

They got it right but only by default. If they did it on principle why did they not do it in December when he was charged????

No, they didn't. He became England manager with the FA having ultimate authority to withdraw the captaincy from a player if they deemed fit. He didn't press for that to change as a condition of becoming manager. It's his own stupid fault. He agreed to the rules of how things were done and now he's complaining when others are playing by those rules.

I think most people would agree that Terry should no longer be England captain (dont they?) so if Capello still wants him in the role it shows how out of touch he is with the morality feelings of the country that he is representing. For the sake of doing the right thing the FA had to step in and remove Terry form the equation. At the end of the day Capello works for The FA and any decent employer would step in to correct a poor decision if they saw one being made. In my book that is all The FA have done here.

I'm not entirely sure Capello is over happy with Terry as Captain but the FA have dithered about the situation since he was charged. The FA should know that to depose the captain without consultation with the manager would have repercussions and they have manipulated the situation to this effect. Let's not forget that Bernstein is a new broom at the FA and Capello was not is appointment.

That's not the point, though. Capello must have known his remit and the FA's remit in the appointment of the England captain. It's a completely unworkable situation to agree to work in a job with that remit and then not abide by it. if he had complaints about the potential of others to decide the captaincy, he should have challenged it before he signed his contract. Not now.

Sorry but exactly when were you privvy to the contract between the FA and Capello?

In a statement, the FA said Terry would not "captain the England team until the allegations against him are resolved".
It continued: "The FA board expected the trial to be concluded prior to the European Championship.
"Further to Wednesday's confirmation that the trial will not take place until after the tournament, the board has discussed the matter in detail and has collectively decided it is in the interests of all parties that John has the responsibilities of captaincy removed at this time.
"This decision has been taken due to the higher profile nature of the England captaincy, on and off the pitch, and the additional demands and requirements expected of the captain leading into and during a tournament."
The FA said Capello was free to select Terry for the Netherlands friendly in February and Euro 2012.
"FA chairman David Bernstein has spoken to both John Terry and Fabio Capello to explain the facts to them," the statement continued.
"Fabio Capello has not been involved in the FA Board discussions which reached this conclusion, but understands that the FA Board has authority to make this decision.
"Fabio Capello will take the decision as to who will be made captain moving forward.
"This decision in no way infers any suggestion of guilt in relation to the charge made against John Terry. The FA will be not be making any further comment on this matter."

That statement says it all. Of course the FA have the right to stop someone being captain but in a situation that would involve discussions with the man who is charged with selecting the team, exactly as it would at club level with interference from chairman in team selection. It would be the professional courtesy to Capello that they and the press are now accusing Capello of lacking. The FA should have had a meeting about this in Dec with Capello and issued a joint statement. Had Capello been involved in the process he might not have agreed with the outcome, we don't know, but he would have been party to any press release and unity within the management camp would have been apparent. That was obviously not what Bernstein was looking for.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The blame lies squarely at the door of the idiots who decided to charge Terry with racial abuse. What a bunch of nonsense! I believe it started because some bloke saw Terry say something to Anton ON TV!!! Hey, blokes do swear. That's what we do. And sometimes it might be a bit off colour and something you didn't want your Granny to hear. But taking the guy to court for something said in the heat of the moment on the football field is absolutely effing stupid. Don't get me wrong, I don't personally like Terry ... I think the guy's got all the makings of a thug and I'm not sure he is currently one of the country's best two central defenders ... but this whole thing is PC gone effing mad.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Capello has been saying for years, that he doesn't understand the English over-obsession for who the captain is

So to resign over it, doesn't ring right with me.

Yeah, what a divvie to lose a job over John bloody Terry. Terry's not worth it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As for a temporary manager, Curbishley is currently out of a job! He would keep the seat warm for 'Arry' until after the Euros. (My money would be on Pearce though)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The blame lies squarely at the door of the idiots who decided to charge Terry with racial abuse. What a bunch of nonsense! I believe it started because some bloke saw Terry say something to Anton ON TV!!! Hey, blokes do swear. That's what we do. And sometimes it might be a bit off colour and something you didn't want your Granny to hear. But taking the guy to court for something said in the heat of the moment on the football field is absolutely effing stupid. Don't get me wrong, I don't personally like Terry ... I think the guy's got all the makings of a thug and I'm not sure he is currently one of the country's best two central defenders ... but this whole thing is PC gone effing mad.

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here