Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cappello resigns (merged)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But why did they remove his captaincy, but still make him available for selection ?

No idea. But they didn't say he was guilty.

The nightmare scenario would be Terry lifting the trophy on the Sunday, then a week later at her majesty's pleasure. Think how often you see Moore holding the Jules Rimet.

Apart from the press going on about it non-stop for the next five months.

Let's all move on.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
But why did they remove his captaincy, but still make him available for selection ?

In a statement, the FA said Terry would not "captain the England team until the allegations against him are resolved".
It continued: "The FA board expected the trial to be concluded prior to the European Championship.
"Further to Wednesday's confirmation that the trial will not take place until after the tournament, the board has discussed the matter in detail and has collectively decided it is in the interests of all parties that John has the responsibilities of captaincy removed at this time.
"This decision has been taken due to the higher profile nature of the England captaincy, on and off the pitch, and the additional demands and requirements expected of the captain leading into and during a tournament."
The FA said Capello was free to select Terry for the Netherlands friendly in February and Euro 2012.
"FA chairman David Bernstein has spoken to both John Terry and Fabio Capello to explain the facts to them," the statement continued.
"Fabio Capello has not been involved in the FA Board discussions which reached this conclusion, but understands that the FA Board has authority to make this decision.
"Fabio Capello will take the decision as to who will be made captain moving forward.
"This decision in no way infers any suggestion of guilt in relation to the charge made against John Terry. The FA will be not be making any further comment on this matter."

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Football Management is not the same as your job. If Tony Bloom said to gus I want you to stop playing Lewis Dunk because there is a Police investigation and Gus said No. Then if Tony blocked dunk from playing Gus would have every right to walk away.

Capellos position as manager was ripped apart by a meddling board.

Totally this

blackshaadow

Jan 29, 2012
Seaford
Thank heavens someone has enough conviction (as well as money) to walk away because I challenge anyone to admit they would accept what the FA did over the Terry incident.
In my eyes the FA have yet again made themselves the laughing stock to all looking in....no change there I hear you say.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Poor Jon Culshaw, will miss his impressions of Capello, was the only one I found mildly amusing :(

Twitter

AlKH5nMCMAMG_d0.jpg

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Thank heavens someone has enough conviction (as well as money) to walk away because I challenge anyone to admit they would accept what the FA did over the Terry incident.
In my eyes the FA have yet again made themselves the laughing stock to all looking in....no change there I hear you say.

At £4M or whatever it was a lot of people would have lived with it. Capello never understood the importance we put on the captain - so what difference did it make ?

blackshaadow

Jan 29, 2012
Seaford
I'm sorry but it does imply guilt, if I was charged with an offence I knew I wasn't guilty of I would expect full backing until resolved. Would anyone be happy if they then decided to change my working conditions before any conclusions had been reached....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

They haven't made themselves a laughing stock to all, given that a sizeable number of people agree with their decision.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
My reading of this is that whatever you actually think of Capello's tenure, the FA have provoked this to try and save some pay-off money. The way they handled taking captaincy off Terry (again, whatever you think of him) without keeping Capello in the loop clearly undermined him and his ability to manage the team. Maybe they calculated it was the final straw that might make him resign, rather than sack him.

It's going to the lawyers now I imagine, the FA will try and say he broke his contract, and Capello might well go for constructive dismissal to get his millions. Once again, it's an almighty mess the FA have presided over. When will they learn how to do things properly?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My reading of this is that whatever you actually think of Capello's tenure, the FA have provoked this to try and save some pay-off money. The way they handled taking captaincy off Terry (again, whatever you think of him) without keeping Capello in the loop clearly undermined him and his ability to manage the team. Maybe they calculated it was the final straw that might make him resign, rather than sack him.

It's going to the lawyers now I imagine, the FA will try and say he broke his contract, and Capello might well go for constructive dismissal to get his millions. Once again, it's an almighty mess the FA have presided over. When will they learn how to do things properly?

I think it may well have suited Capello, it suited the FA, it suited the fans. I hope it doesn't go to the lawyers. Anyway - there was ONLY (ha) five months left on his contract.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm sorry but it does imply guilt, if I was charged with an offence I knew I wasn't guilty of I would expect full backing until resolved. Would anyone be happy if they then decided to change my working conditions before any conclusions had been reached....

If you were charged with an offence similar to that with which John Terry has been charged, and I was your manager, I would suspend you on full pay until a court of law had determined your guilt or innocence. After that you would either be reinstated without a stain on your character or dismissed. That is what happens in grown-up jobs. Can't see why professional football should be any different.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Having been in a situation a while ago (I was asked to finish work early as a pre-caution because of an incident that involved me), I can't say I was happy. However, I fully understood why it would have caused potential complication to have stayed on before an investigation had been carried out and that the precautionary action was not an implication of guilt.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY

Plenty of companies would Suspend you pending an investigation & not all of them would do it with full pay. It obviously depends on the offence.

IMO the FA were right to strip him of the captaincy & should of done it for the friendly earlier in the year.

Not even sure he should pull on an england shirt again either TBH. (because he not good enough, not the racism thing)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The manager picks the captain of his team.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Totally this

Agreed.
Capello was the England Manager, and wasn't even part of the meeting regarding Terry. Insulting.

The xenophobic media are loving this tonight and portraying Bernstein as savvy & tough, and genius Harry will lead the troops to at least semis this Summer and possible WC glory 2014.

Let's see if he can turn good PL players, into a team with inbred world class technique, vision, tactics, pace, will to win & disipline.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here