Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cappello resigns (merged)

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Re Capello....it has to be the manager's job to select the squad and chose his captain. If the administrators go over his head he is diminished before his players and his position is untenable.

New manager? I would not rush it. - appoint Stuart Pearce (record of success with under 21 team, respected by the players) then sort out a long-term replacement in the Summer, after the Euros - Hell,, we are not going to win it anyway!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm always astounded that we (The FA) seem to offer the most money and the longest contracts in international football.

I can't think of one candidate who is going to turn a lot of underperforming and mediocre players into world beaters. To be honest, I am not fussed who they appoint. I'm pretty apathetic towards our national side and that has nothing to do with our 50 year hiatus. As soon as we stop playing a load of cocks, I might raise the flagt once more.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Anyone who thinks that Poyet isn't going to Tottenham when Redknapp leaves is burying their head in the sand.

bye bye Gus if Redknapp gets the job.

Why exactly? How does Gus fit the requirements of the Spurs role?

1) Top Prem experience. No.
2) Champions league experience. No.
3) Proven track record of handling top flight players. No.
4) Experience in handling significant transfer budget. No

Just coz he used to play for them doesnt make him a shoe in....yet.

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
John terry is a cancer on the game. Strikes me that Capello going now suits both him and the FA...given that he was going to leave after the Euros anyway....

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
I think most people would agree that Terry should no longer be England captain (dont they?) so if Capello still wants him in the role it shows how out of touch he is with the morality feelings of the country that he is representing. For the sake of doing the right thing the FA had to step in and remove Terry form the equation. At the end of the day Capello works for The FA and any decent employer would step in to correct a poor decision if they saw one being made. In my book that is all The FA have done here.

I despise John Terry after his affair and all that but his Racism charge has not been sorted so innocent to proven guilty.

If I was England manager I wouldnt have something dictated to me from the FA. Football Management is not like a normal job you need full control of your team.

Like I said Im not a fan of Capello and am happy he has gone but no other top manager will stand for board interference.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Re Capello....it has to be the manager's job to select the squad and chose his captain. If the administrators go over his head he is diminished before his players and his position is untenable.

Normally I would agree with you. But this is a particularly sensitive situation. Terry has already had one strike. There is no way the FA could let him carry on the role in light of the allegations against him and the work they are trying to do in the game. Any one who has seen the footage knows he is guilty as sin....could not be clearer what he said. If Capello couldnt see this the FA HAD to do something.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Could you see a Prem manager like Dalgliesh or Fergie or Wenger being dictated to by there respective boards?? Not on your life. Capello has come out of this with a degree of being a decent manager.

Im not a Capello fan but if he picks Terry to be his skipper then he should and needs to have total control of the team.

That's not the point, though. Capello must have known his remit and the FA's remit in the appointment of the England captain. It's a completely unworkable situation to agree to work in a job with that remit and then not abide by it. if he had complaints about the potential of others to decide the captaincy, he should have challenged it before he signed his contract. Not now.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Disagree..How can it be 'his own stupid fault' ?

He resigned over the principal that he should be left choose who should be his captain...he's done nothing wrong for it to be his fault

Errrr ..... if my boss tells me to do something then I tend to do it. The FA ( his boss ) told him to strip Terry of the captains armband ( correctly so ) so he can't have any argument with it. If he does ( and clearly he did ) then he should resign. Thankfully he did and now we can get a decent manager ....... hopefully.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Spurs won't go for Gus!

They'll be after Mourinho, or even Capello himself.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011

New manager? I would not rush it. - appoint Stuart Pearce (record of success with under 21 team, respected by the players) then sort out a long-term replacement in the Summer, after the Euros - Hell,, we are not going to win it anyway!

Exactly this. The Manager needs full control otherwise he loses the respect of the team.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Disagree..How can it be 'his own stupid fault' ?

He resigned over the principal that he should be left choose who should be his captain...he's done nothing wrong for it to be his fault

Given what Terry has been accused of, it is only correct that he should suspended from his job [ie - England captain] until the legal process has been concluded. That is what would happen in every other walk of life, regardless of what a line manager thinks. It is standard HR policy.

If Capello can't or won't accept that, then he should resign. And he has.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Anyone who thinks that Poyet isn't going to Tottenham when Redknapp leaves is burying their head in the sand.

bye bye Gus if Redknapp gets the job.

I think there will be a pretty long list of managers Tottenham will be looking at before Gus somehow.......being an ex Tottenham player currently managing a mid table Championship team will not put him at the top of the list.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Certainly not like an Italian to abandon a sinking ship....

Oct 25, 2003
But the rumour mill is saying that Real Madrid want him out. And he's been on record as saying he wants to come back to England. Not really a long shot

no way will he leave Real for Spurs though......only hope is that he quits before Redknapp leaves for the England role

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here