Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cappello resigns (merged)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Just got home & heard the news.

Can't say I'm sorry to see the bloke go, but many of the tossers who were behind his appt. are still lurking in & around Lancaster Gate: so it's only a job slightly well done IMO. No doubt 'Arry will now be shipped in quicksticks now to be the all-new Messiah - which I personally haven't got a major issue with (given the alternatives), but I bet he brings the has-been, Show-Pony Beckham back to spearhead the forthcoming Euro Fail. Whoopee f***ing do... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I sometimes feel that I am in the wrong job!

Redknapp

1. I cant write, I cant use e-mail and I cant count.................YET.....I am paid loads of dosh because I can motivate a squad of players

He didn't say it but its reality...........I like Harry, I like his family but my god, if I could be paid HIS salary being illiterate I'd be laughing

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, Harry can't "wheel and deal" as England manager, so the FA will at least remain solvent.

He has a reasonable track record of making a nylon purse out of a sows ear, so I won't be OVERLY upset to see him take the job. At least he can spika da lingo, which is usually a start in this kind of role.

He'll do I suppose.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why appoint a manager at all? The FA obviously want to pick the team and decide the captaincy themselves.

They didn't decide the captaincy, they just decided it wasn't appropriate for the current one at the current time.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The real reason Don Fabio resigned....

Harry.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whether an office job, Brighton or England manager, or road sweeper, what kind of job description would it be that doesn't actually state the duties of the job and lines of reporting and authority within it?

A disciplinary decision to remove Terry's captaincy is only undermining to a manager such as Capello if he acted like he had ultimate authority over the captaincy and it is shown that he doesn't. A manager that knows the extent and limits of his powers from day one, and doesn't over-reach his authority, is not undermined.

What planet are you on????

It's undermining if the captain you selected is removed from post without you being involved in the process. It would apply whether you were in charge of the England team of the local refuse collection but that seems to go over your head. Never mind.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4704925 said:
Capello had the highest overall win percentage of any England manager.

Harry Redknapp has won the FA Cup by bankrupting Portsmouth.

And people are happy about this. Christ.

100 million per cent THIS.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What planet are you on????

It's undermining if the captain you selected is removed from post without you being involved in the process. It would apply whether you were in charge of the England team of the local refuse collection but that seems to go over your head. Never mind.

You draw your comparisons to other job situations. I can't help thinking, though, that the role the FA has played is most similar to that of a revising chamber, such as the House of Lords.

Just like Capello acting with his narrow concerns of the England football team, a Prime Minister in the House of Commons will often help pass a Bill with narrow party political concerns that he knows the House of Lords, with its expertise and ability to act from broader considerations, can make amendments to or even vote down if they think it is severely misguided. A PM who is accepting that that simply is the system of Parliament he operates within will not be left with the experience of being undermined. He will accept that that's the way it is. If he couldn't accept it, he should never have applied for election as MP in the first place. The system was like that before he became MP, and it continued to be like that during the time he serves. No one forced him to be in the House of Commons. What Capello has done is akin to being appointed PM, knowing that the job has limits to its power, and then getting uppity, acting like he's 'Il Duce' with boundless power.

There are many ways he could have responded to the situation. He could have been accepting that the FA had wider considerations, such as the national image of the game, commercial implications of having an England captain dealing with a racism court case, and acting consistently with ACAS guidelines. He could even have been appreciative that they cared enough to meet up over it, however misguided he may think their decision. Instead, feeling undermined is a creation that he brought to the situation.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Assuming he doesn't get compensation, which he shouldn't, it shows him to be a man of integrity who doesn't appreciate having the piss taken out of him by the incompetent clowns running the FA. He isn't a Sven.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They didn't decide the captaincy, they just decided it wasn't appropriate for the current one at the current time.
Yes, having previously allowed the manager to decide, only to then subsequently take that decision away from him and announce THEIR decision publicly without informing or consulting him first. Genius FA, f***ing genius ! : facepalm:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yes, having previously allowed the manager to decide, only to then subsequently take that decision away from him and announce THEIR decision publicly without informing or consulting him first. Genius FA, f***ing genius ! : facepalm:

The power to veto the England manager's choice of captain has always resided with the FA. It's not something they gave to themselves under Capello's reign.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The power to veto the England manager's choice of captain has always resided with the FA. It's not something they gave to themselves under Capello's reign.
You'd still expect them to have the decency to inform the manager of their decision first though before announcing it publicly, no? Especially when they had previously left the decision up to him when they really should have been exercising their authority and deal with the matter in it's infancy. The FA seem incapable of dealing with decision making in a simple and effective manner on ANY issue.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4704925 said:
Capello had the highest overall win percentage of any England manager.

Harry Redknapp has won the FA Cup by bankrupting Portsmouth.

And people are happy about this. Christ.

I. Like. This. A. Lot. Very good point well made.

Difference is of course is that, unlike Redknapp, Capello hasn't had his mates in the press touting him for the job for years, like some messiah in waiting. The portions of humble pie to be consumed in Fleet Street if he doesn't pull up any trees like just about all his predecessors will be sizable.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As manager, Capello should have been in the meeting about JT in the first place. To exclude him shows contempt by the FA.

Capello should have had the nous to relieve Terry from the captains role when he was charged, and said that he would not be picked for an England squad. To protect Terry. It is no presumption of guilt. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Terry should have been relieved of the captains duties. However it has happened the right thing has been done. Capello has gone - and I suspect he is not too upset about it. So again the right thing has happened. Now let's not f*** it up by appointing Rednapp.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I. Like. This. A. Lot. Very good point well made.

Difference is of course is that, unlike Redknapp, Capello hasn't had his mates in the press touting him for the job for years, like some messiah in waiting. The portions of humble pie to be consumed in Fleet Street if he doesn't pull up any trees like just about all his predecessors will be sizable.

He may well do ok. But we are in for another two tournaments of Lampard (and therefore the Gerald debate), and Terry. Give me strength.

We need a new broom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here