Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cameron in Brighton on Thursday!

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Poll tax was a terrible theory. People worse off paying the same amount as people who make a hell of a lot more money. Hmmm, yeah great idea there.
Also not everybody paid. You could scam your way out of it if you didn't own a house and weren't on the electoral role as they had no real way of being able to track you down.

Amazingly similar to the arguments against the wretched TV licence we have to pay now....unless you're 75+ of course.

And the BBC threatened to track you down with their detector vans...:mad:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Amazingly similar to the arguments against the wretched TV licence we have to pay now....unless you're 75+ of course.

Wretched?

The BBC deserve that fee for their website alone! It's actually incredibly good value for money from the one of the most respected organisations in the world.

The BBC is a national treasure and is criticised far to frequently in my opinion.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
some might say that the millions of "immigrants coming over here stealing our jobs" suggests there *are* some jobs for them... and you idea of culling the civil service is the same idea.

No, it is ridiculous some of the ideas that these people have. There's far too many quangos that serve no real purpose other than keeping civil servants in job. I've said this many times though, we'd have a lot more jobs if we stopped giving work visas to non EEC passport holders such as colonials.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Wretched?

The BBC deserve that fee for their website alone! It's actually incredibly good value for money from the one of the most respected organisations in the world.

The BBC is a national treasure and is criticised far to frequently in my opinion.
Barbara Windsor is a "National Treasure" lol but that in it's self don't make her great!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, it is ridiculous some of the ideas that these people have. There's far too many quangos that serve no real purpose other than keeping civil servants in job.

maybe i didnt put it right: your idea to cull the quangos is already an idea the Conservative have, and they have already started.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, it is ridiculous some of the ideas that these people have. There's far too many quangos that serve no real purpose other than keeping civil servants in job.

maybe i didnt put it right: your idea to cull the quangos is already an idea the Conservative have, and they have already started. (and the seminar probably represents the quality of staff at the job center more than central government policy.)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
maybe i didnt put it right: your idea to cull the quangos is already an idea the Conservative have, and they have already started.

We'll see, it's qn old boys' club the Civil Service so getting rid of dead wood is not that simple. However it's not just Quangos that are a waste of time but a lot of the advice that is paid for is useless. For the first three months of the year I was working for a government department who's role was to promote tourism in the UK. I had to get Security Clearance for the role for no reason other than it was a government organisation. This is despite the fact that there was no security issue and in fact they had poor internal IT security (I knew the Chief Exec's ID and password). In itself not a huge amount of cash running the check but I got my clearance ten days before my contract ended.

The thing is though that it was a totally unnecessary expense and many millions must be wasted on such trivia because some clueless Civil Servant says so. The fact that their back to work schemes are useless is just another waste of tax payers money. Granted they are no better or worse than their predecessors as frankly the Civil Service do as they wish anyway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You've got to feel sorry for Cameron, having to meet the local Tards.

I wonder if my 'too-cool-for-school' MP will be there? I last heard he was trying to be the first MP to wear an Iron Maiden shirt in the chambers or something. Yes, very radical and different. FFS.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He's not wearing medals today is he?

John Lennon returned a medal in protest over a foreign war. And now, in a way, so has Neil Duffy.While Lennon returned his MBE to Buckingham Palace in 1969 because of his anger at British support for Vietnam, Duffy, a former sergeant in the Royal Artillery, has returned all of his medals to David Cameron in protest at his treatment after he left the Armed Forces.

Duffy will not consider wearing them again until the Prime Minister helps servicemen and women “regain their dignity” by altering the way the benefits system operates. He’s after a veterans’ benefit, if you like. He was discharged in June last year with post traumatic stress disorder, after he had experienced flashbacks from his time in Iraq in 2003. Since then his benefits have been halved, and he, his wife, and three children have been left without a home. He says:

After 20 years of faithful service, I am unable to provide for my family due to injuries and illness I suffered. Now, at the time I need it most, the country for which I would have paid the ultimate sacrifice has turned its back on me.

Duffy’s four medals – for his service in Cyprus, for Operation Telic during the Iraq war, a Queen’s Jubilee medal and a long service good conduct medal for 15 years’ service – are now in a drawer in Downing Street. You can read more about his campaign here.

Coincidentally, Duffy’s medals won’t be far from an unreleased report on how to help veterans deal with mental battle scars. It was commissioned personally by the Prime Minister from Andrew Murrison, a Tory MP and naval doctor. The publication of the report, which is only a few pages long, is imminent. It is likely to recommend better screening for veterans when they leave the forces, so any signs of nascent post traumatic stress disorder can be picked up.

All this is to be welcomed. The Telegraph’s support for hard-working charities like Combat Stress, and its Enemy Within appeal, is well known. But charities can only do so much, and the PM’s support is vital. PTSD among veterans typically manifests itself 14 years after they leave the forces. This means that we are only now seeing mental problems among veterans that were sparked by fighting in Bosnia, Kosovo and Sierra Leone.

And – worryingly – it means that the stored-up mental battle scars among the tens of thousands of British troops who have fought in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2003 are yet to be felt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here