Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon leaving to go to Southampton [merged]

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Will every one stop talking about loyalty. Good players have no loyalty. They are in demand and will f*** off when presented with a better opportunity (footballing or financial). And let's not forget, 2 weeks ago Calde (despite being a fine, flair footballer) was on the brink of having to pack it in because of a dodgy hip.

Still disappointed he's going though - really good player at L1 level.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Wow just switched on and found this. What an unexpected turn of events. No honour in football it seems, Calderon you've gone from hero to zero in the flick of a pen. Same old, same old from the green eyed pardew (small p not a mistake).

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Wow just switched on and found this. What an unexpected turn of events. No honour in football it seems, Calderon you've gone from hero to zero in the flick of a pen. Same old, same old from the green eyed pardew (small p not a mistake).

Me too, what a nightmare way to start the day! :US:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Everyone is f***ed off with him going, but can I remind people to keep it in perspective.

Any more comments wishing him dead, a broken leg etc may result in a ban, we have handed them out for people saying similar about Andy Whing and other players, so you have been warned.

ps. Calling him a money grabbing twat is still acceptable, but if someone offered me £15k a week you would not see my arse for dust as I ran to sign the contract.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's about time NSC introduced a minimum age for posters on here. Having read through 18 pages of childish rantings and name calling with probably less than 10 posts of any credibility.

1. We gave Calderon a job and offered him a contract. He has been offered 200% more to play elsewhere. There is no sane person on this site who wouldn't accept the offer.

2. Exactly where does it state that you have to live in the city where you play football? What does it matter what either city looks like. How many Brighton players live in Brighton?

3. Because we wouldn't negotiate contracts until the last couple of weeks, we have now lost the best right back we have had for years and also our top scorer.

4. Why do we need to withdraw the offer? Keep it on the table. He may agree a contract with Soton but it may not go ahead if he fails the medical.

5. Hands up anyone who thinks Poyet will be our manager for the next 4 years and, if we are successful, will reject every offer made to him from other clubs, including the premiership, regardless of how much money he is offered.

6. In football, there is only one faction that is loyal to the club and that is the supporters.

7. Calderon was class but hopefully our scouting network will uncover others.

8. So, we make up an injury to put other clubs off the scent. Which 5 year old came up with that one? We tell Calderon he has an injured hip and both he and his agent fall for it. Marvellous stuff. Whether he is injured or not, his agent would still be touting him around the best deal.

9. Concerned at the way Poyet throws a hissy fit when he doesn't get his own way.

10. Painter signing is a good deal for us and who knows, McNulty could play right back. Afterall, Watson was a left footed rightback and it worked well for us.

At the end of the day, will it be good for us in the long run to get promoted next season. Personally, whilst you never turn promotion down, perhaps it would be better for us if we have great season and just miss out. Get promoted and our first season at Falmer could see us struggle in the championship without massive investment in the playing squad. Alternatively, we have a great season next year, just miss out but the momentum carries through to the following year where we build on the good season we just had, acclimatise to our new surroundings and the get promoted at the end of it.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
At the end of the day, will it be good for us in the long run to get promoted next season. Personally, whilst you never turn promotion down, perhaps it would be better for us if we have great season and just miss out. Get promoted and our first season at Falmer could see us struggle in the championship without massive investment in the playing squad. Alternatively, we have a great season next year, just miss out but the momentum carries through to the following year where we build on the good season we just had, acclimatise to our new surroundings and the get promoted at the end of it.

You had some half decent points until that bit of lunacy.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
What's the ACTUAL story of events? I can't be arsed to read all 18 pages. From what I can work out....

We offered Calderon a deal, he said he would sign it.

Southampton talked to him as he is a free agent.

Calderon hasn't signed our contract in the time Gus wants him to

Gus withdraws our offer to Calderon because of his own principles / mild hissy fit

Calderon has not signed anything to join Brighton

Calderon has not signed anything to join Southampton

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
A player's loyalty (for player read employee) is to his family and his career - in almost all cases that should be the way it is. Clubs drop players when it suits them - the lack of loyalty is really a two-way street. As Drew says, the only people genuinely loyal to a club are the fans.

However, this case seems to hurt more than many because from what we are told, Gus saved Calderon from obscurity and put him back in the shop window. It also seems a deal was agreed but not signed. That must piss Gus off. In return for resurrecting this man's career, we got a defender who many regard as Player of the Season. Looks like that was a fair deal to me.

Gutted he isn't signing, not impressed by Inigo's tactics (but not surprised), inevitable that he would take £15/k over £5/k, but we got something from this deal. The club goes onward - and upward - and it's Gus who is leading the way.

Seagulls!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You had some half decent points until that bit of lunacy.

Why is it lunacy? How many clubs have had a successful first season in a new stadium? Like I said, if promotion comes along next year then no one's going to turn it down but in the long run, how great would it be if, at the end of our first year at Falmer we got promoted? The place would be more likely to packed to the rafters than if we get promoted and struggle. Initially there will be the euphoria of going to Falmer but if we keep losing then the crowds might start to dwindle. Having said that, we may still get promoted next year and Bloom will then spend a bucket load of cash to keep us in the championship.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Really proud we've signed another money-grabbing Judas for £15k a week. ......shameful if that helps us win the league, but our recent administration has shown everybody that we no longer have any integrity or morals.

classic behavior from our once-proud club & the universally despised Pardue............Inbreds, Inbreds, Inbreds, Inbreds!

;)

There you go, I've fixed it for you. :bigwave:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
It's about time NSC introduced a minimum age for posters on here. Having read through 18 pages of childish rantings and name calling with probably less than 10 posts of any credibility.

1. We gave Calderon a job and offered him a contract. He has been offered 200% more to play elsewhere. There is no sane person on this site who wouldn't accept the offer.

2. Exactly where does it state that you have to live in the city where you play football? What does it matter what either city looks like. How many Brighton players live in Brighton?

3. Because we wouldn't negotiate contracts until the last couple of weeks, we have now lost the best right back we have had for years and also our top scorer.

4. Why do we need to withdraw the offer? Keep it on the table. He may agree a contract with Soton but it may not go ahead if he fails the medical.

5. Hands up anyone who thinks Poyet will be our manager for the next 4 years and, if we are successful, will reject every offer made to him from other clubs, including the premiership, regardless of how much money he is offered.

6. In football, there is only one faction that is loyal to the club and that is the supporters.

7. Calderon was class but hopefully our scouting network will uncover others.

8. So, we make up an injury to put other clubs off the scent. Which 5 year old came up with that one? We tell Calderon he has an injured hip and both he and his agent fall for it. Marvellous stuff. Whether he is injured or not, his agent would still be touting him around the best deal.

9. Concerned at the way Poyet throws a hissy fit when he doesn't get his own way.

10. Painter signing is a good deal for us and who knows, McNulty could play right back. Afterall, Watson was a left footed rightback and it worked well for us.

Which 10 posts have credibility then? Obviously the ones that agree with your point of view.
I agree that wishing the bloke injury or worse is out of order, but it's all about opinions isn't it.
The fact that every time a player tries to f*** us over, you come out with your contract expert facts and use it to have a pop at the club and the manager, Doesn't mean you are right & everyone else is wrong.
Yers the fans are the only loyal faction but IMO Calde owed us a small amount of loyalty.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have a funny feeling that Calderon under Pardew may not be the same player that we have been watching when managed by Gus

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Why is it lunacy? How many clubs have had a successful first season in a new stadium? Like I said, if promotion comes along next year then no one's going to turn it down but in the long run, how great would it be if, at the end of our first year at Falmer we got promoted? The place would be more likely to packed to the rafters than if we get promoted and struggle. Initially there will be the euphoria of going to Falmer but if we keep losing then the crowds might start to dwindle. Having said that, we may still get promoted next year and Bloom will then spend a bucket load of cash to keep us in the championship.

Very simply it's extremely difficult to get promoted from any league, so you have to grab the first opportunity you have with both hands and worry about what comes after following that. Early promotion is always good for a club with a sound financial basis as ours has. If we don't get promoted next season it's not the end of the world but there certainly isn't any guarantee we'd get another chance in the years to come after.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
It's what's known in the trade as a Gotsmanov; let's hope lightening strikes twice, treacherous Spanish ulcer.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Where's this 200% figure from?

Gus wants a team of people who want to play for the club, not people who are only playing for us because the better option didn't materialise. He wants people who want to play for us, not people using us as a back up.

Personally, as long as when they're with us they give 100% I don't care where we were on their list of preferred clubs, but I'm not the manager, Gus is, and I can see where he's coming from. The team spirit of 23 men who want to be there will usually be better than 7 or 8 that want to be there, 10 who saw us as the best option at the time, and 5 who just couldn't get an offer anywhere else.

How many managers do you think will be in their current job in 4 years time? It's incredibly rare.

Honestly, I can see it going either way. He strikes me as someone who would be loyal, as long as we live up to promises, a chairman who supports him and doesn't suddenly refuse to back him in the transfer market, doesn't sign the players he wants etc.

I don't think he'd leave us to try to rescue Blackpool from premier league relegation next season or leeds from championship relegation, just because they're higher division/higher paying teams. Especially if we're doing well. But, perhaps if a promotion casing team, or top premier league team would offer him the job it would test him.

Are people seriously suggesting we made up the injury?

At the end of the day, will it be good for us in the long run to get promoted next season. Personally, whilst you never turn promotion down, perhaps it would be better for us if we have great season and just miss out.

Worked so well after we lost to Notts County in the play off final...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here