Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon leaving to go to Southampton [merged]

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why is it lunacy? How many clubs have had a successful first season in a new stadium?.

And why pass up the opportunity for our first year at falmer to win us promotion to the premier league?

May 8, 2010
Let's face it, you're a prick, now f*** off and die.

We will f*** Pardew over again and again, no matter how many managerial tips he needs from his nemesis.... Brighton And Hove Albion.

Your imbecilic turd of a manager is felch-ridden pond life.

Buy your way to The Cgampionship for all we care, you had to cheat the honest local businessmen out of their hard-earned, then got lucky with a grotesquely rich benefactor with no real understanding of your club or English football.

How amazingly impressive your promotion will be and God help you if you manage to still f*** it up.

If you consider this and other responses hostile, you ain't seen nothing yet you worthless Scummer! Now f*** off you insensitive, gloating wank stain on the butt of humanity's arse.......no offense! ;)

Again. All creditors were paid off in FULL

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
If Calderson was offered twice as much at Soton (it's a big 'if' I know) I can't think of any player in our squad who wouldnt leave us for a double your money contract. I can't think of anyone in any walk of life who wouldnt consider it.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If Calderson was offered twice as much at Soton (it's a big 'if' I know) I can't think of any player in our squad who wouldnt leave us for a double your money contract. I can't think of anyone in any walk of life who wouldnt consider it.

Exactly.

Or at the very least ask for a few days to hear what they had to say.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Where's this 200% figure from? we offer £5k and Soton apparently offer £15k. Isn't that 200% more than we offered?

Gus wants a team of people who want to play for the club, not people who are only playing for us because the better option didn't materialise. He wants people who want to play for us, not people using us as a back up.

Personally, as long as when they're with us they give 100% I don't care where we were on their list of preferred clubs, but I'm not the manager, Gus is, and I can see where he's coming from. The team spirit of 23 men who want to be there will usually be better than 7 or 8 that want to be there, 10 who saw us as the best option at the time, and 5 who just couldn't get an offer anywhere else.

How many managers do you think will be in their current job in 4 years time? It's incredibly rare. Exactly but you have avoided the rest of the point I was making about on offer from a bigger club for more money!

Honestly, I can see it going either way. He strikes me as someone who would be loyal, as long as we live up to promises, a chairman who supports him and doesn't suddenly refuse to back him in the transfer market, doesn't sign the players he wants etc.

I don't think he'd leave us to try to rescue Blackpool from premier league relegation next season or leeds from championship relegation, just because they're higher division/higher paying teams. Especially if we're doing well. But, perhaps if a promotion casing team, or top premier league team would offer him the job it would test him.

Are people seriously suggesting we made up the injury?

Perhaps you should read all the posts. Some were suggesting it was a smokescreen to put other clubs off.

Worked so well after we lost to Notts County in the play off final... Circumstances are completely different. We were in financial meltdown at that point and did extremely well to get where we did. If you go back a bit further, we missed out in 1978 and got promoted the following year. Had we gone up in the first year, would we have stayed up? Who knows!

And why pass up the opportunity for our first year at falmer to win us promotion to the premier league?

Now who is the loon!!!

Which 10 posts have credibility then? Obviously the ones that agree with your point of view.
I agree that wishing the bloke injury or worse is out of order, but it's all about opinions isn't it.
The fact that every time a player tries to f*** us over, you come out with your contract expert facts and use it to have a pop at the club and the manager, Doesn't mean you are right & everyone else is wrong.
Yers the fans are the only loyal faction but IMO Calde owed us a small amount of loyalty.

You are dumb aren't you. Where have I said anything about being a contract expert. As for supporting any player that tries to 'f*** us over' you know f*** all. Calderon hasn't tried to f*** us over. He just said that the terms we offered were ok, no indication that he had said he would sign nor that he wouldn't, just that he wanted a week to think it over and to see what other offers were being made. Why did we have to impose a meaningless deadline

The players that have tried to f*** us are Hammond, Harding O'Callaghan and I have no time for them and said so at the time.

Very simply it's extremely difficult to get promoted from any league, so you have to grab the first opportunity you have with both hands and worry about what comes after following that. Early promotion is always good for a club with a sound financial basis as ours has. If we don't get promoted next season it's not the end of the world but there certainly isn't any guarantee we'd get another chance in the years to come after.

Perhaps if you read my quote properly, you would see that I said if we do get promoted then we are not going to turn it down. But if we did go up next year and Bloom doesnt invest as heavily as everyone seems to think he will then in our first year in our knew home we could struggle. Do you remember 2002/03 when we lost a hat full of games at the start of the season. Do you think that will fill falmer? Going back even further, in 1977/78 we had a fantastic season and were robbed of promotion on the last day. We came back stronger, got promoted and spent 4 years in the top flight. Reading with all their millions didn't manage that (although I accept the premiership is a different kettle of fish to the old First Division).

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
You are dumb aren't you. Where have I said anything about being a contract expert. As for supporting any player that tries to 'f*** us over' you know f*** all. Calderon hasn't tried to f*** us over. He just said that the terms we offered were ok, no indication that he had said he would sign nor that he wouldn't, just that he wanted a week to think it over and to see what other offers were being made. Why did we have to impose a meaningless deadline

The players that have tried to f*** us are Hammond, Harding O'Callaghan and I have no time for them and said so at the time.

Yes mate, I am 'dumb' because I disagree with you and don't post as agressively.
TBH. you posted the same shite about Forster (also about contracts). :bla:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Just shows that administration is a farce. One minute they cant rub two beans between their hands and shafting everyone in sight, the next they are buying up any decent player on ridiculous wages.

One thing is for certain, Southampton and Leeds are both heading in the same way that got themselves into admin and L1. Hopefully next time, the rules will be changed so that when they go bust its out of the football league entirely.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just shows that administration is a farce. One minute they cant rub two beans between their hands and shafting everyone in sight, the next they are buying up any decent player on ridiculous wages.

That is what happens when you are bought out by a Swiss Billionaire and not stayed with the old company. Did similar not happen with us when we paid for Falmer with a new input of cash and a new headman.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Last edited:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

Completely agree with Poyet. Anyone who agrees a contract with us but delays signing it to see if he can get a better deal elsewhere can, as far as I'm concerned, get lost.

We need players who want ot play for the club. I expected some loyalty from Calderon and honestly thought he was a man who would give us that. It's not as if the wages we were offering would have put him on the breadline, I'd imagine they would have been FAR more than anything he has earned in Spain. It was absolutely the right decision to withdraw the offer.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Now who is the loon!!!

I didn't say anything about you being a loon. And if I'm being a loon, I was following your logic. If we get promoted next season we will carry momentum into our new stadium, as you say, teams with new stadiums often perform really well, combined this could lead to promotion to the play offs. Might soun ridiculous now, but let's see the team line up next season, and then the squad fr the following year. I doubt this year's squad could make it, but it isn't completely loony.

Where's this 200% figure from? we offer £5k and Soton apparently offer £15k. Isn't that 200% more than we offered?

I'm not questioning the maths of the 200%, I'm questioning the source. Sure, it is being bandied around here, but it's also being bandied around that Calderon hasn't actually been given an offer from southampton, just that he might get one. It's also a ridiculously large amount. Lots of false information is bandied around here, why take this wage increase as true?

How many managers do you think will be in their current job in 4 years time? It's incredibly rare. Exactly but you have avoided the rest of the point I was making about on offer from a bigger club for more money!

No, I didn't my response was in the two paragraphs that followed that line. Besides, the line you respond to was a point about how flawed your question was.

Perhaps you should read all the posts. Some were suggesting it was a smokescreen to put other clubs off.

I wasn't suggesting you were making the claim. I was surprised by people making that claim.

Last edited:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I didn't say anything about you being a loon. And if I'm being a loon, I was following your logic. If we get promoted next season we will carry momentum into our new stadium, as you say, teams with new stadiums often perform really well (where did I say that? In fact, very few teams do well moving into a new stadium), combined this could lead to promotion to the play offs. Might soun ridiculous now, but let's see the team line up next season, and then the squad fr the following year. I doubt this year's squad could make it, but it isn't completely loony. maybe harsh to call you a loon so apologies but exactly when was the last time a team got promoted to the Prem having just gone up from League One?

I'm not questioning the maths of the 200%, I'm questioning the source. Sure, it is being bandied around here, but it's also being bandied around that Calderon hasn't actually been given an offer from southampton, just that he might get one. It's also a ridiculously large amount. Lots of false information is bandied around here, why take this wage increase as true? Fair enough. I agree that there is no source, just that I was quoting several figures already mentioned.

No, I didn't my response was in the two paragraphs that followed that line. Besides, the line you respond to was a point about how flawed your question was. So, do you think Poyet would go if offered 200% more to go to a bigger club?

I wasn't suggesting you were making the claim. I was surprised by people making that claim.
Fair enough.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
(where did I say that? In fact, very few teams do well moving into a new stadium)

I thought that's what you said here:

At the end of the day, will it be good for us in the long run to get promoted next season. Personally, whilst you never turn promotion down, perhaps it would be better for us if we have great season and just miss out. Get promoted and our first season at Falmer could see us struggle in the championship without massive investment in the playing squad. Alternatively, we have a great season next year, just miss out but the momentum carries through to the following year where we build on the good season we just had, acclimatise to our new surroundings and the get promoted at the end of it.

You had some half decent points until that bit of lunacy.

Why is it lunacy? How many clubs have had a successful first season in a new stadium? Like I said, if promotion comes along next year then no one's going to turn it down but in the long run, how great would it be if, at the end of our first year at Falmer we got promoted? The place would be more likely to packed to the rafters than if we get promoted and struggle. Initially there will be the euphoria of going to Falmer but if we keep losing then the crowds might start to dwindle. Having said that, we may still get promoted next year and Bloom will then spend a bucket load of cash to keep us in the championship.

^^That conversation seemed to indicate you thought promotion would come from being our debut year at falmer.

So, do you think Poyet would go if offered 200% more to go to a bigger club?

Honestly, I can see it going either way. He strikes me as someone who would be loyal, as long as we live up to promises, a chairman who supports him and doesn't suddenly refuse to back him in the transfer market, doesn't sign the players he wants etc.

I don't think he'd leave us to try to rescue Blackpool from premier league relegation next season or leeds from championship relegation, just because they're higher division/higher paying teams. Especially if we're doing well. But, perhaps if a promotion chasing team, or top premier league team would offer him the job it would test him.

The money alone wouldn't be the key thing in his decision to leave us. I imagine Gus has done quite well for himself in his playing career and that wages aren't the big draw. He wants to create something at Brighton, if he leaves, it will be somewhere where they offer him more than just more money.

mehsaint

May 9, 2010
LOL @ Brighton fans calling us "scummers" as if there is some sort of rivalry. You sound just like Bournemouth. We don't care about either of you.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
LOL @ Brighton fans calling us "scummers" as if there is some sort of rivalry. You sound just like Bournemouth. We don't care about either of you.

And in the most part, we don't care about you either.

What we don't like though is ex-Palace scumbags like Pardew stepping in to steal our best talent, and ex-Brighton captains like Hammond celebrating a goal against us and gesticulating in front of our fans as if he's scored in the World Cup final.

mehsaint

May 9, 2010
And in the most part, we don't care about you either.

What we don't like though is ex-Palace scumbags like Pardew stepping in to steal our best talent, and ex-Brighton captains like Hammond celebrating a goal against us and gesticulating in front of our fans as if he's scored in the World Cup final.

That's football. Man up and get over it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here