Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon leaving to go to Southampton [merged]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just had a thought was there not mention on here last week that we had a Celta Vigo reserve on trial and didnt he play right back or central defence or am I mistaken

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
and what did he have to say, if you dont mind me asking?

He said that he had really hoped he could stay next season, but now it doesn't look like that can happen.

He said that he will never forget the goal at The Valley, because of how important it was for the club.

He said 'I will always be a Seagull.'

It seems that he just wanted to see what other offers were out there, and to be honest he would have been an idiot if he hadn't looked to see what other people were offering.

As fans we tend to demand complete loyalty, but that is such a fallacy.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Been quality since he has been here, so not bothered.

If we are top 2 in January as expected, he won't be going anywhere.

Lallana leaving is more of a worry

I wouldnt be quite so sure that Lambert will remain with you either, I can see a championship club coming in for him. Offering considerably more cash.

Lallana also he could well be off, it wont be easy replacing those guys even with a stack of cash in your back pocket.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
He said that he had really hoped he could stay next season, but now it doesn't look like that can happen.

He said that he will never forget the goal at The Valley, because of how important it was for the club.

He said 'I will always be a Seagull.'

It seems that he just wanted to see what other offers were out there, and to be honest he would have been an idiot if he hadn't looked to see what other people were offering.

As fans we tend to demand complete loyalty, but that is such a fallacy.

Interesting. I think the level of bad feeling towards him has come as he was clearly loved by the Albion faithful and I think he could have shown a bit more loyalty considering we were the only ones who took a punt on him after Gillingham and Norwich didn’t fancy him. Still, life goes on, no one player bigger than the club and all that...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im sure if the Soton offer isnt up to as much as he and his agent hope, wether he may well be back on the phone.... would be interesting to see if any amount of grovelling would work with Gus and Mr Bloom.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I have been wondering how much of a loss Calderon will truly be. He has been fantastic for us this half season. However, in most of that time he has had a five man midfield and Navarro has done a lot of covering for him when he breaks forward and doesn't always hurry back. If, as I assume, we go 4-4-2 next season, that cover would not be so readily available and he might have left our defence exposed quite often. If Poyet can find another version of Painter for the right back position, I think we may actually be better off (although I am still gutted he has gone).

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
so has he actually got an offer on the table from the scummers or did he just ask for an extra week in case he got an offer from them??

As far as i can tell no offer yet.
He could end up with some serious egg on he's face, because if southampton were going to make an offer they can now make a much smaller one than before and i doubt he will get one for the three years we were going to give him.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If Pardew gets sacked then Calde could end up with no offer which will all be down to his agent being a greedy bastard.

Feb 14, 2010
If Calderon had a whiff of a better offer than fair enough. Its players that sign then dont understand or preted to not understand their contract that I have no time for. fair play if he thought someone else would offer him more and fair play of Poyet saying sign now or leave. That is a free market and fair play on both. No hard feelings either way.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
If he loved the club that much then he would have signed the deal once it had been agreed. If there really wasn't an offer from Southampton and he was just waiting to see if he would receive one, then there is no way Poyet should have given him time. Gus made completely the right decision.

Feb 14, 2010
If he loved the club that much then he would have signed the deal once it had been agreed. If there really wasn't an offer from Southampton and he was just waiting to see if he would receive one, then there is no way Poyet should have given him time. Gus made completely the right decision.

he doent "love the club" and he would be a weirdo if he did, he is at wok. Fair play to calderon and fair play to Poyet.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
he doent "love the club" and he would be a weirdo if he did, he is at wok. Fair play to calderon and fair play to Poyet.

I'd say "I will always be a Seagull" translates fairly clearly as "I love the club". If not exactly then not far off.

Feb 14, 2010
I'd say "I will always be a Seagull" translates fairly clearly as "I love the club". If not exactly then not far off.

the fellas at work and like you and me wants to earn a few quid. Fair play to him and to Poyet who has to run the club. No hard feelings, its a free country and a free market. Just wish they would leave out the bollocks, i dont even want the players to love the club, just do their f***ing job to the best of their ability

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Lets hope Calderon doesn't pass their medical, he can then be deported back where he came from.

How can he be deported, he is an EU citizen.

Grow up.

the fellas at work and like you and me wants to earn a few quid. Fair play to him and to Poyet who has to run the club. No hard feelings, its a free country and a free market. Just wish they would leave out the bollocks, i dont even want the players to love the club, just do their f***ing job to the best of their ability

So, like me and unlike a lot of muppets on here, your not convinced of a players sincerity when they kiss the badge of whichever employer they happen to be playing for at the time!!!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I was at first quite angry at all this, but now I just think life is too short!

End of the day and "allegedly", the guy has been offered a big pay rise to do what he loves, play football.

In his position, I would do the same and good luck to him. Unfortunately, if this offer doesn't come to fruition, I don't see anyway back for him with Gus.

Think we all need to move on and look forward to the new season!
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here