Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton waste collection strike….

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Nor do you know his.

No, but I don't care what his job is. Nor is it relevant to the discussion, even if he's a binman himself.

I've noticed that Swansman likes to widen the discussion to binmen globally, together with firefighters, nurses etc. I'm afraid that's all noise.
This discussion - and this thread - has only ever been about the binmen of Brighton and Hove.

I have an opinion. I have a profession. But my profession doesn't influence my opinion. Therefore I haven't disclosed it.

No amount of shouting, swearing, manufactured scenarios of lobsters and champagne, or accusations of snobbery will change that.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think your approach is entirely unreasonable, and utterly miserable. You don't seem to want to project cheer onto other people. Especially those that do hard, difficult and dirty work, and even more, when they have the temerity to withdraw their labour.

Read my last comment. You're trying to widen the argument, to include all 'those that do hard, difficult and dirty work'. To repeat, this thread, and my criticism of the binmen, has been just about the binmen of Brighton and Hove, and how they have conducted themselves. Stick to the script. By the way, I thought your comparison of me to the company Pret a Manger was barking mad. Hope this helps.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think your approach is entirely unreasonable, and utterly miserable. You don't seem to want to project cheer onto other people. Especially those that do hard, difficult and dirty work, and even more, when they have the temerity to withdraw their labour.

think we need to remember drivers withdrew their labour on the grounds they didnt want to do alternative routes. or in other terms, simply do their job for their hours. there isnt a criticism of the profession of binmen, its Brighton and Hove binmen who seem a particularly miserable and inept at their job, when they feel like doing it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
think we need to remember drivers withdrew their labour on the grounds they didnt want to do alternative routes. or in other terms, simply do their job for their hours. there isnt a criticism of the profession of binmen, its Brighton and Hove binmen who seem a particularly miserable and inept at their job, when they feel like doing it.

Indeed. Not that it stops someone who doesn't even live in the country, let alone Brighton, sermonize about it when it seems he's too lazy to even take his own trash out. Just another example of Swansman sneering from his ivory tower about something that doesn't affect him.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Indeed. Not that it stops someone who doesn't even live in the country, let alone Brighton, sermonize about it when it seems he's too lazy to even take his own trash out. Just another example of Swansman sneering from his ivory tower about something that doesn't affect him.

I believe the ivory tower to be the one where you work with things like IT bullshit and then moan about things like binmen.

Maybe they had a very stressful day, didnt have enough capacity in the trucks, perhaps they were told by their supervisors not to waste time picking up the last loose scrap in order to save time or something. But rather than contemplating about that it seems preferable just to jump to conclusion that they are all lazy, greedy idiots.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I believe the ivory tower to be the one where you work with things like IT bullshit and then moan about things like binmen.

Maybe they had a very stressful day, didnt have enough capacity in the trucks, perhaps they were told by their supervisors not to waste time picking up the last loose scrap in order to save time or something. But rather than contemplating about that it seems preferable just to jump to conclusion that they are all lazy, greedy idiots.

There it is. You literally did stalk my LinkedIn profile to make an (incorrect) ad hominem point on a football internet message board. Well done.

As I said, no one is criticising the job they do (in fact, on most of this thread I've astonishingly agreed with [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] ). Normally they get a fat Christmas tip and I specifically thanked my crew for carrying on working through lockdown.

But they've lost all that good will with their latest behaviour, getting a pay rise for covering our city in rats and shit. That's the bit I have a problem with.

One thing IT people don't have is a union. When we get a pay rise we've earned it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There it is. You literally did stalk my LinkedIn profile to make an (incorrect) ad hominem point on a football internet message board. Well done.

As I said, no one is criticising the job they do (in fact, on most of this thread I've astonishingly agreed with [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] ). Normally they get a fat Christmas tip and I specifically thanked my crew for carrying on working through lockdown.

But they've lost all that good will with their latest behaviour, getting a pay rise for covering our city in rats and shit. That's the bit I have a problem with.

One thing IT people don't have is a union. When we get a pay rise we've earned it.

Actually I was referring to the Eric guy in a previous post saying he worked for AMEX IT department. But now when you say it I do remember your Linkedin.

Not having a union is nothing to be proud over. It just undermines the working class in their struggle against the employing class.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Got it in one!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I see his thread has turned into a bin fest.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Actually I was referring to the Eric guy in a previous post saying he worked for AMEX IT department. But now when you say it I do remember your Linkedin.

Not having a union is nothing to be proud over. It just undermines the working class in their struggle against the employing class.

What you fail to understand (because you know absolutely nothing about Brighton in reality) is that Amex is not only the club sponsor but also a massive local employer.

His Council Tax and the Council Tax of the colleagues who he helps to keep working pay the salary for the binmen you're defending. No Amex in Brighton, less Council Tax, less money for Mr Bin Man, And, as a side issue, fewer designer clothes for Graham Potter.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The binmen in Mid Sussex, West Sussex and East Sussex seem to be able to do the job competently and as far as I'm aware they are not disgruntled employees, downing tools frequently in the last 10 years, accused of fraud and dishonesty (in 2000) and seemingly highly militant (giving a bad name to unions in general and reminiscent of the 1970s). But it seems Brighton binmen unfortunately are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, but I don't care what his job is. Nor is it relevant to the discussion, even if he's a binman himself.
True but that said you and others are being lectured about all things regarding your refuse collection, your taxation and your lack of struggle against the employing class, of all things.

If it turned out you were being lectured by someone who doesn't work let alone collect rubbish, pay tax or have an employing class.

If nothing else it would instantly end the tedium.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
True but that said you and others are being lectured about all things regarding your refuse collection, your taxation and your lack of struggle against the employing class, of all things.

If it turned out you were being lectured by someone who doesn't work let alone collect rubbish, pay tax or have an employing class.

If nothing else it would instantly end the tedium.

Ah, I didn't know any of that. That's the price of coming a bit late to the party - I didn't join until about a year ago. You live and learn. Thanks for the info.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah, I didn't know any of that. That's the price of coming a bit late to the party - I didn't join until about a year ago. You live and learn. Thanks for the info.

I have no idea and truly don't care, but it's got to be worth an ask.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I have no idea and truly don't care, but it's got to be worth an ask.

I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry if I appear obtuse.

I know nothing about Swansman's history on this forum, apart from what I've learned on this thread.

What I do know, is that he seemed unduly concerned about what my profession is. I knew he had some other agenda which he wants to confirm, so I didn't tell him what I do, just to annoy him.

As it is, he has clearly been burrowing away, had his eureka moment, revealing I'm a day trader (a shocker), who once worked in IT (this is possibly even worse), and used that to have a weird rant at me, complete with fabricated scenarios of lobsters and champagne.

Is this what usually happens on here? It is kind of weird, yet entertaining at the same time. At least I was right when I said he's got potential. It's just that I guess you've already experienced the potential and are now tired of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry if I appear obtuse.

I know nothing about Swansman's history on this forum, apart from what I've learned on this thread.

What I do know, is that he seemed unduly concerned about what my profession is. I knew he had some other agenda which he wants to confirm, so I didn't tell him what I do, just to annoy him.

As it is, he has clearly been burrowing away, had his eureka moment, revealing I'm a day trader (a shocker), who once worked in IT (this is possibly even worse), and used that to have a weird rant at me, complete with fabricated scenarios of lobsters and champagne.

Is this what usually happens on here? It is kind of weird, yet entertaining at the same time. At least I was right when I said he's got potential. It's just that I guess you've already experienced the potential and are now tired of it.

It would certainly be an odd stance to take from someone unemployed.
As said I have no idea, but it has to be at least worth an ask!! :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here