Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton waste collection strike….

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
think we need to remember drivers withdrew their labour on the grounds they didnt want to do alternative routes. or in other terms, simply do their job for their hours. there isnt a criticism of the profession of binmen, its Brighton and Hove binmen who seem a particularly miserable and inept at their job, when they feel like doing it.

I still don't understand the key movements and players within this dispute. I live in Brighton, and think that the binmen do a decent job. I'd add that they have one heck of a job to do, cleaning up the mess that Brighton's hedonistic economy creates. (I could add a few other things but, for the moment, let's leave it there.)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I still don't understand the key movements and players within this dispute. I live in Brighton, and think that the binmen do a decent job. I'd add that they have one heck of a job to do, cleaning up the mess that Brighton's hedonistic economy creates. (I could add a few other things but, for the moment, let's leave it there.)

Oh go on. Add the other things. You know you want to.

Well done to a group of Brighton workers standing up for themselves, hope it inspires others to join a union and demand their fair share

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry if I appear obtuse.

I know nothing about Swansman's history on this forum, apart from what I've learned on this thread.

What I do know, is that he seemed unduly concerned about what my profession is. I knew he had some other agenda which he wants to confirm, so I didn't tell him what I do, just to annoy him.

As it is, he has clearly been burrowing away, had his eureka moment, revealing I'm a day trader (a shocker), who once worked in IT (this is possibly even worse), and used that to have a weird rant at me, complete with fabricated scenarios of lobsters and champagne.

Is this what usually happens on here? It is kind of weird, yet entertaining at the same time. At least I was right when I said he's got potential. It's just that I guess you've already experienced the potential and are now tired of it.

So it's YOU who keeps pegging back one of my AIM investments :lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Out of interest in Brighton and Hove are they on a weekly collection schedule or is fortnightly?

Refuse is weekly, the recycling is fortnightly.

Edit. I should add the above is for those with wheelie bins, city centre areas have large communal bins which the residents use, they are emptied regularly.

*All of the above when the system works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Refuse is weekly, the recycling is fortnightly.

Edit. I should add the above is for those with wheelie bins, city centre areas have large communal bins which the residents use, they are emptied regularly.

*All of the above when the system works.

Thanks

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well done to a group of Brighton workers standing up for themselves, hope it inspires others to join a union and demand their fair share

I agree, naughty bully boy managers daring to ask those proactive drivers for a bit of flexibility in order to keep their city clean.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Shame on the bin men who threw their toys out the pram simply because they were asked to be more flexible with the rounds they do . Their strike caused huge embarrassment to our city and left it stinking with rubbish and rats . Unions are nowadays simply mainly confrontational for the sake of it with little regard for their actual workers. it’s just the senior union members on big salaries.

The council should have threatened to sack them all and recruit other bin men if they are going to strike for such a pathetic reason . The council won’t because of the loony green and remnants of the hard left
Labour . Embarrassing.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Shame on the bin men who threw their toys out the pram simply because they were asked to be more flexible with the rounds they do . Their strike caused huge embarrassment to our city and left it stinking with rubbish and rats . Unions are nowadays simply mainly confrontational for the sake of it with little regard for their actual workers. it’s just the senior union members on big salaries.

The council should have threatened to sack them all and recruit other bin men if they are going to strike for such a pathetic reason . The council won’t because of the loony green and remnants of the hard left
Labour . Embarrassing.

doubt there's a particularly long line of people clamoring to become bin men

sack them all and then recruit....who?

Labour . Embarrassing.

Ah cry more Tory elitist, "actual workers" lol how can you get more actual workers than binmen

I agree, naughty bully boy managers daring to ask those proactive drivers for a bit of flexibility in order to keep their city clean.

Shame that working people having a little bit more control over their working conditions troubles you so. Perhaps have a chat with the guys and ask them how much they were messed around every day because CityClean can't recruit enough people on the wages they pay - I did just that so heard about the real situation first hand. The binmen shouldn't have to pay for the fact that the management weren't doing their job properly, too many ordinary workers in this country have to do that and it's good these folks said no, hope to see plenty more of that

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Labour . Embarrassing.

If you want a less confrontational approach between unions and employers (it's interesting that you've avoided mentioning their confrontational approach over decades leading to decreased real terms pay and deteriorating working conditions), you could consider co-dependency, but I don't see that being offered as a solution, which is yet another sign of the paucity of political debate over here.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Shame that working people having a little bit more control over their working conditions troubles you so. Perhaps have a chat with the guys and ask them how much they were messed around every day because CityClean can't recruit enough people on the wages they pay - I did just that so heard about the real situation first hand. The binmen shouldn't have to pay for the fact that the management weren't doing their job properly, too many ordinary workers in this country have to do that and it's good these folks said no, hope to see plenty more of that

Do you work or have you previously worked in any capacity for the GMB either for reward or not?

Do you work or have you previously worked in any capacity for the GMB either for reward or not?

LMAO what? And they say the centre-right don’t produce any good conspiracy theorists

Do you want me to sign some affidavit that I have not or never have been a member of the Communist party and its more dangerous affiliate the general, municipal and boilermakers union

Hold that thought, its KO

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
LMAO what? And they say the centre-right don’t produce any good conspiracy theorists

Do you want me to sign some affidavit that I have not or never have been a member of the Communist party and its more dangerous affiliate the general, municipal and boilermakers union

Hold that thought, its KO

It hasn't gone unnoticed that you didn't actually answer Chicken Run's question.

Instead, you avoided answering by trying to make light of it, and asking him an absurd question in return.

Hold that thought.....

It hasn't gone unnoticed that you didn't actually answer Chicken Run's question.

Instead, you avoided answering by trying to make light of it, and asking him an absurd question in return.

Hold that thought.....

Ha ha oh my Lord another vote for the conspiracy theory!

Do you really live in a world where it’s totally impossible for anyone to have sympathy for the binmen unless you work for their union? Seriously?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here