Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Pub Name Changes

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
whats the bar near the club shop, in Queens Road? that changes names every tme you blink..

Was The Electric Grape for a while.

Exchange became The Pub with No Name.

Admiral Napier was Sun now Cornerstone might have been something else.

Horse and Groom = Doom and Gloom = Severed Head, a local legend I believe.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
All this goes to prove that it should be ILLEGAL for a pub to change its name - or at the very least individual name changes should require individual Acts of Parliament.

Most change to something that the new owner thinks is witty: 'The Slug and Lettuce' or 'The Piston Broke' (although I think that one, not in Brighton, was disallowed). But very soon they just sound stupid. Others pick esoteric sounding names to make the place sound, you know, 'a bit different'. "It's not a pub it's a gathering place." These can ALMOST work; for example I've almost come to accept the 'Open House' instead of the Springfield. ... Almost. But the new name of the Windsor, Earth and Moon or something, is just WANK.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
All this goes to prove that it should be ILLEGAL for a pub to change its name - or at the very least individual name changes should require individual Acts of Parliament.

Most change to something that the new owner thinks is witty: 'The Slug and Lettuce' or 'The Piston Broke' (although I think that one, not in Brighton, was disallowed). But very soon they just sound stupid. Others pick esoteric sounding names to make the place sound, you know, 'a bit different'. "It's not a pub it's a gathering place." These can ALMOST work; for example I've almost come to accept the 'Open House' instead of the Springfield. ... Almost. But the new name of the Windsor, Earth and Moon or something, is just WANK.

Quite. What sort of pub would call itself 'No Man Is An Island', especially when it's patently untrue.

Have they never heard of the Isle of Man?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Quite. What sort of pub would call itself 'No Man Is An Island', especially when it's patently untrue.

Have they never heard of the Isle of Man?
I've a good mind to go and paint that on its walls! But it's SO witty because the pub is surrounded not by water but by roads, so it's like an island but surrounded by traffic! At least the Gladstone down the road, despite calling itself The Glad Stone for a while, has resisted the temptation to rename itself BurpBubble or something.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Notice how most of the classic Brighton boozers (and restaurants) are still called exactly what they were called quarter of a century ago.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've a good mind to go and paint that on its walls! But it's SO witty because the pub is surrounded not by water but by roads, so it's like an island but surrounded by traffic! At least the Gladstone down the road, despite calling itself The Glad Stone for a while, has resisted the temptation to rename itself BurpBubble or something.

It never really called itself the Glad Stone. If anything, it was the locals who re-christened it 'The Happy Testicle' in reference to Glad Stone. Geddit?

It was always the Gladstone.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
They are ALL ugly, have big sovereign rings, drive like mad wankers, drink crappy piss-lager and smell of runny poo. Probably. So there.

Apart from that, I have nothing against them at all.
OI! I drive a white van and I definitely don't wear sovereign rings:angry:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i do ive seen it go from sherrys/pink coconut/paradox, over the road was jenkinsons , anyone remember coasters ?? and im tha old i can remember when the gloucester was called MR Ks

we used to have the sign from mr k's in our lounge when i was a stude. bloody great perspex thing

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Take it you've not been in then since the relaunch. Not too bad and no more chav clientele.

The Frock and Jacket became Cafe de Paris or some such.

The Admiral Napier became the Setting Sun But was something before then or am I confused?

no i havent been in there in donkeys, it was so fantastically grotty that it seems a shame that its been uncarpeted and seared tuna on the menu-ed.

talking of that part of the world the walmer never changed its name but went f***ing beserk like so many. it used to be nice like a lot of pubs round there until they comissioned teams of three year olds to redecorate, or at least thats what it looks like.

Last edited:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
f***ing hell. the geezer who fell off the lighting? blimey thats a blast from the past.

Thought he died another way actually - Could be well wrong, but thought AIDS played a part..

Anyway, top bloke and DJ used to do F+J before Tonka and play out with Andy Mac amongst others.

Think (hope) i still have a tape of his around somewhere - his wake was an absolute monster night out at MoS.

:rave::rave:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Thought he died another way actually - Could be well wrong, but thought AIDS played a part..

Anyway, top bloke and DJ used to do F+J before Tonka and play out with Andy Mac amongst others.

Think (hope) i still have a tape of his around somewhere - his wake was an absolute monster night out at MoS.

:rave::rave:

andy mac the bookshop spac. i bet he posts on here.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't suppose anyone with a little too much spare time on their hands fancies summarising these pub name changes do they?!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Was The Electric Grape for a while.

Exchange became The Pub with No Name.

Admiral Napier was Sun now Cornerstone might have been something else.

Horse and Groom = Doom and Gloom = Severed Head, a local legend I believe.

The Electric Grape - Polar Bar - The Hope

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Bricklayers Arms - The Greys

Golden Cross - The Geese

Thurlow Arms - Jurys Out

Windmill - Sir Loin of Beef - Setting Son

The Sutherland - Round George's

Thurlow Arms - Jurys Out - Caledonian Review Bar - Jurys Out.

Also, noticed yesterday that The Racehorse has changed it's name, can't remember what to though?

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
didn't the Eddy used to be called Game of Life?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here