Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Pub Name Changes

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
Counting house - no mans island - hub - the dugout - the white crow , not sure what it was before???

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

And isn't the Hare and Hounds, The Hydrant now?
Was for a bit, gone back to the Hare and Hounds now. I think it had ownership issues, also it still had (thankfully) a sodding great sign saying HARE AND HOUNDS and the new name just didn't stick.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What's the Somerset in St George's Rd, Kemptown called now?

It changed to The Dragon and is now a coffee shop called something odd like Neac or summat, they have taken the sign down for painting. Still got the Somerset Arms and The Dragon signs above the door. It is co-run by a man with the BIGGEST beer belly I have EVER seen in my life.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Back to Hove ...

This one's had an extended identity crisis over the years. I only have a hazy recollection of its various identities but its history goes something like
The Sackville
BooBoos
The Sackville
then ????
Hove Park Tavern

Plastic pint pots for home games and an incredibly intimidating atmosphere at some games (especially that one v you know who opening day 1974/75)

When it was the Sackville, Boo Boo's was just the name of the bar at the back (in car park) where there was a disco. At one point it was the Seagull Tavern. I worked there from 1987 to 1989. I used to be the doorman when there were home games.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
When it was the Sackville, Boo Boo's was just the name of the bar at the back (in car park) where there was a disco. At one point it was the Seagull Tavern. I worked there from 1987 to 1989. I used to be the doorman when there were home games.

That was it - Seagull Tavern. Thanks for putting me out of my misery :thumbsup:

Used to have pints of shandy in there (about 14p) after playing Sunday League (Div 13) for Goldstone Valley Rangers. Always had to arrange drivers. Not to avoid drink driving (we all did that) but because hardly anyone had a car.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
The Springfield - the Open House
The Greyhound - The Fish Bowl
The Sudeley - The George & Dragon
The Green Dragon - The Office
The Stanford Arms - Circus Circus
Hare & Hounds - Hollies - Hare & Hounds
The Volunteer - Mash Tun

Wasnt the H&H called something else, until recently? was v confusing seeing two names on the front..

D

Deleted User X18H

most daft name change eas the Argyle (in Argyle Road), 'back to its original' name, The Engineer? Like anyone remembers that..

That's brilliant though. In the 1880's it was the locomotive workers pub of choice.

D

Deleted User X18H

They are doing up the Crown & Anchor which I know has suffered dreadfully in recent years since the Albion relocation.

I had a peek yesterday , it looks like they are extending the bar, a la the Connaught etc. So another gastro type pub might emerge.

But at least it's staying as a pub.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Does anyone remember the three Polar Bars and what they used to be?

Polar Central is now The Hope

Polar East is now The Thomas Kemp

Polar West was somewhere in Hove but I don't go up that way so much so I can't remember where it was.

But what were they before being Polar Bars?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Not mentioned yet is Hector's House. I don't remember what it was before that but it's now The Blind Tiger Club.

Was the Hand in Hand in Upper St James' Street always so named?

How about the Sidewinder? I'm assuming that once had a more normal name although I can't remember it.

That dreadful pub opposite the Rock Inn on Rock Street has been spruced up and renamed although I don't know what it's called now. It used to be the I Go Inn and before that the Hervey Arms.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The Devonshire Arms --> Housing
The Stag Inn --> Housing
The Bute Arms --> Housing
Pressure Point --> Housing
The Islingword Tavern --> Housing
The Horseshoe --> Housing
The Clyde Arms --> Housing
The City of Hereford --> Housing
The Chichester Arms --> Housing
The Alliance Tavern --> Housing

:rant:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Does anyone remember the three Polar Bars and what they used to be?

Polar Central is now The Hope

Polar East is now The Thomas Kemp

Polar West was somewhere in Hove but I don't go up that way so much so I can't remember where it was.

But what were they before being Polar Bars?

The Thomas Kemp used to be The Burlington

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Wasn't Pressure Point formerly Hectors House formerly the The Richmond?

Market Inn formerly Golden Fleece.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here