Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Pub Name Changes

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
google + iphone + 4 year old thread = resolved agument when in town re pubs names + free large G&T !

ace work NSC -me an some old chums chatting about pub/club name changes (stood in Waggon & horses looking at the Mash tun)

Jul 20, 2003
Lansdowne Arms - Cooper's Cask
Litern Tree - Providence - CO-OP
? - The Juggler - The Paris House

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

The Paris House. Yeah. f***ing hell. God. I don't really know what to say about how I feel about that place.

Unwelcoming? Yeah. Snobbish? To the extreme. Will I ever go there again (this after a HALF pint I had there with the missus)? No.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
The Elephant & Castle now Ladbrokes / Greggs.
The Castle now the Pull & Pump.
Don't know what it's called now but the Golden Fleece behind Hanningtons. Used to have a big chiller cabinet with huge turkey , ham and beef joints for sandwiches as did the Wagon and Horses and the Princess Victoria.
The Station in Ditchling rise now the Signalman.
The Roundhill now the Poacher
As for lost pubs apart from the E&C , Snipe now Sainsbury and an old favourite of mine the Coachmakers in Trafalgar Street.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Don't know what it's called now but the Golden Fleece behind Hanningtons. Used to have a big chiller cabinet with huge turkey , ham and beef joints for sandwiches as did the Wagon and Horses and the Princess Victoria.
As for lost pubs apart from the E&C , Snipe now Sainsbury and an old favourite of mine the Coachmakers in Trafalgar Street.

Golden Fleece is now The Market Tavern. Good to see the Hare and Hounds (Preston Circus) is now the Hare and Hounds again.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

It was never The Station, it was The Railway.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Back to Hove ...

This one's had an extended identity crisis over the years. I only have a hazy recollection of its various identities but its history goes something like
The Sackville
BooBoos
The Sackville
then ????
Hove Park Tavern

Plastic pint pots for home games and an incredibly intimidating atmosphere at some games (especially that one v you know who opening day 1974/75)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The Hop Poles on Middle Street has changed its name about three times in the last year or so... It became the Spotted Dog and then the Cask and Kitchen. It is now the Hop Poles (again).

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
The Paris House. Yeah. f***ing hell. God. I don't really know what to say about how I feel about that place.

Unwelcoming? Yeah. Snobbish? To the extreme. Will I ever go there again (this after a HALF pint I had there with the missus)? No.

That place is an absolute C***hole. I've been done in the West End for less than there. Was the Juggler full of absolute pieces? That's the usual reason for driving up the prices when you take over a place (file under 'Good Companions').

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I've a good mind to go and paint that on its walls! But it's SO witty because the pub is surrounded not by water but by roads, so it's like an island but surrounded by traffic! At least the Gladstone down the road, despite calling itself The Glad Stone for a while, has resisted the temptation to rename itself BurpBubble or something.

Memory fades but wasn't that also the site of the Allen Arms before the gyratory was built

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bosuns, became Carpenters, became ...?

The Electric Grape was mentioned. That was an amazing place in Queens Road playing new wave.

The old Shades wine bar part of the Royal Pav Tav was great. Darkly lit and a selection of cold European bottled beers semi frozen to an open freezer chiller tray type-thing. And young Brightonians were getting into Muscadet, Lambrusco.
Then one day butchered by Brewery builders, all being opened up and overlit.

Pickwick East Street. The ground floor became a nice bar in East Street in the mid 1980s. Forgotten its name.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Lansdowne Arms - Cooper's Cask
Litern Tree - Providence - CO-OP

Bar Med at some point as well I think? Before it was The Providence maybe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here