Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Pub Name Changes

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hemmingways. Is it still as empty as it was 6 months ago? No atmosphere at all.

It's nearly always empty whenever I walk past. Shame really, I used to quite like The Cuthbert in a strange way.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's nearly always empty whenever I walk past

Shame, cos the guy that runs it is a really nice bloke. It is just out of the way I suppose. Alligator steak anyone? Impala?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In name only. It's now a monstrous abomination with expensive, poncey food and clean toilets. The pool table's gone, the big screens have gone, the lads have gone; I don't think I've even SEEN Kev Taylor since it was done up. It was also a rock-solid Albion pub (running a very handy minibus up and down to Withdean on matchdays) and one of the few pubs where if you cheered TOO loudly for a Premiership team you'd be told to shut the f*** up.

If (when) John leaves the Cleveland and the new guv'nor does it up - I'll burn it down.

The PPT was bought by a bloke who was, very briefly, manager of The Grand Hotel. Hardly the world's most gregarious chap, he got out of there, and moved up the hill from where he lives (Stanford Avenue) and did it out. No more white vans now.

The Cleveland is a tumbleweed pub. It shouldn't be, but is.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
The PPT was bought by a bloke who was, very briefly, manager of The Grand Hotel. Hardly the world's most gregarious chap, he got out of there, and moved up the hill from where he lives (Stanford Avenue) and did it out. No more white vans now.

The Cleveland is a tumbleweed pub. It shouldn't be, but is.

Not a fan of the "white van men" then?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hemmingways is ridiculous. Are they still trying to sell Kangaroo burgers in there? f***ing idiots. The food is stupid, the garden is massive. MAKE MORE OF IT. You could have massive bbq's up there if you put the effort in.

I might take over that pub, it's a goldmine waiting to happen.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
They are ALL ugly, have big sovereign rings, drive like mad wankers, drink crappy piss-lager and smell of runny poo. Probably. So there.

Apart from that, I have nothing against them at all.

Right.

:rolleyes:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't forget what was, for a while, Bertie Belcher's Brighton Brewery Company At The Hedgehog and Hogshead, It's Really In Hove Actually - which was called The Cliftonville when I lived in Hove. But isn't to be confused with at least two other Hove pubs that have also been called The Cliftonville.

Is that The Station now? I vaguely remember it on the way to the Goldstone but was way too young to drink at the time.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oooh, how about when they changed the name of "The Event" to "The Event II".

Brilliant.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
i do ive seen it go from sherrys/pink coconut/paradox, over the road was jenkinsons , anyone remember coasters ?? and im tha old i can remember when the gloucester was called MR Ks

Sometime around then went gay for a while 'Manhattons' !!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What was the pub nearer the West Pier, that all the Arabs seemed to like? I used to have to listen on the last bus home, to common disco Doris going on about how lovely Achmed was, and how she really fancied Mahmood and he's really a PRINCE back in Egypt :lolol:

Was it ZippyDeeDooDars !!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
do you remember rory the gay dj at coasters ??

Yeah, always thought he resembled a camp Steve Foster.

What was the name of the sex change ( Bebo ? ) that used to get all the out of town guys going, with all us locals laughing knowingly !!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Yeah, always thought he resembled a camp Steve Foster.

What was the name of the sex change ( Bebo ? ) that used to get all the out of town guys going, with all us locals laughing knowingly !!

I saw Big Audio Dynamite at Coasters :clap:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
haha the queens park tavern changing its name. almost the dictionary definition of 'polishing a turd'.

Take it you've not been in then since the relaunch. Not too bad and no more chav clientele.

The Frock and Jacket became Cafe de Paris or some such.

The Admiral Napier became the Setting Sun But was something before then or am I confused?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here