Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Pub Name Changes

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
Not mentioned yet is Hector's House. I don't remember what it was before that but it's now The Blind Tiger Club.

How about the Sidewinder? I'm assuming that once had a more normal name although I can't remember it.

Hectors was The Norfolk Arms & The Sidewinder was The Lion.
The Red Lion at the bottom of Queens Park Road is now flats

(I may have The Lion & Red Lion the wrong way round) :hilton:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think the Sidewinder is named after a landmark Jazz album, cannot remember who it's by but very acclaimed.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
That's brilliant though. In the 1880's it was the locomotive workers pub of choice.

The Argyle was boozer of choice, for a sneaky lunchtime pint or two on payday, when i worked in one of the offices in Preston Road.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Does anyone remember the three Polar Bars and what they used to be?

Polar Central is now The Hope

Polar East is now The Thomas Kemp

Polar West was somewhere in Hove but I don't go up that way so much so I can't remember where it was.

But what were they before being Polar Bars?

Polar West is now the Duke of Norfolk. Not sure what it was before Polar West tho.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Other lost pubs , they might have been mentioned before but :
Star in the East now Gala bingo
The Eastern Eastern Rd now flats ?
Dog Tray , Edward Street now offices ?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I remember it as the Deryk Carver in the 60s. Black Lion was a different pub, to my memory.

The historic character DC used a Black Lion as his emblem, hence the street name, pity they lost his name over the entrance & renamed the pub after the street rather than the guy himself, crazy of you think of it. There is a plaque on the wall as some minor consolation to the chap

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
I remember it as the Deryk Carver in the 60s. Black Lion was a different pub, to my memory.

The historic character DC used a Black Lion as his emblem, hence the street name, pity they lost his name over the entrance & renamed the pub after the street rather than the guy himself, crazy of you think of it. There is a plaque on the wall as some minor consolation to the chap

The pub is on the site of the Black Lion brewery, The original building was meant to be retained, but fell down during its 'restoration' and was rebuilt. It was called the Deryk Carver when it first opened in the 60's. There was a pub to the south on that street but I can't recall its name, even though I used to go in there lunchtimes. The landlord would always be drinking vodka and tonic from a pint glass.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Bought for £30k, done up for £30k, sold for a £1m...how to put your redundancy to good use

Down to you? The Market Inn is one of my favourite winter Sunday afternoon pubs, sitting in front of the fire on a cold day with a great atmosphere, I love it.

If I still lived in Brighton I'd probably be there now.....

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Somewhen between being called the Norfolk and Hector's House it was an alcohol-free bar. Can anyone remember what it was called then? It didn't last very long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here