Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton/London marathon training

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
This is my first marathon but even so my times seem appalling compared to the ones here. Had my last long run today (Just over 20 miles) which is my longest yet and it did include a couple of big hill, including bear road but I struggled to a time of 3:45.

I did only have a small bottle of water for it but even so I am really thinking an extra 6 miles is gonna be hell.

Any advice for the next few weeks training and diet wise?

Are you doing any interval sessions training for a marathon is not all about long runs,what time you will achieve is all about how quickly you can run 200/400/800/1500mtrs most important that you have speed as well as endurance.Long runs should be about time on feet,i used to worry about pace when doing interval sessions and tempo and fartlek runs put effort into these sessions and your long runs will get quicker.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I was going to go out saturday but I felt really sore from doing a treadmill run on friday so i left it and did another inside run this morning.

I am going to go 15 miles next week end.

Im not sure if im looking forward to it or am nervous....

D

Deleted User X18H

Just noticed that it says MP3 players are not allowed on the day....this likely to be strict? I rely on my music when doing these long runs!

It will be STRICTLY no headphones. Tim Hutchins told me this himself. All to do with insurance and emergency service vehicles. Apparently the crowds and camaraderie should keep you going.

D

Deleted User X18H

I am doing 20 on Friday or Monday, over most of the course I will miss out the double backing round The Level, Ovingdean and the Harbour though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just looking at the Brighton marathon site, they want us all there for 7.30am, for a 9am start. Looks like it'll be the 7.03 from Hasocks, arriving at PP at 7.10.

On a Sunday. *groan*

D

Deleted User X18H

This event is the epitome of Brightonianishness anyone not competing will have to re-apply.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I did the Worthing 20 yesterday in 2 hours 42 mins which I was pleased with. Went out slowly which enabled me to pick people off on the last lap. This will be my first marathon and have been told to start the taper this week ready for Brighton in 3 weeks.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I am honestly shocked there will be no ipods etc allowed.... I use mine for pacing etc plus most people train with them.

I fail to see how having an ipod is a Health and saftey issue, If you can strangle yourself on headphones you shouldnt be allowed out, let alone to do a marathon.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I am honestly shocked there will be no ipods etc allowed.... I use mine for pacing etc plus most people train with them.

I fail to see how having an ipod is a Health and saftey issue, If you can strangle yourself on headphones you shouldnt be allowed out, let alone to do a marathon.

It's quite common with larger events I believe. More to do with not being able to hear instructions, emergency vehicles, etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can only assume they are banned because other runners accidentally knocking into an ipod might be a bit painful or perhaps if you drop your ipod on the floor, there is a good chance you'll disrupt other people behind you (in the early part of the race). Apart from that, I can't see why they're banned.

That said, I can't see why anyone would think they are necessary really. Running with thousands of others, with drink stops and the level of support you get, is not the same lonely experience as running alone.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I can only assume they are banned because other runners accidentally knocking into an ipod might be a bit painful or perhaps if you drop your ipod on the floor, there is a good chance you'll disrupt other people behind you (in the early part of the race). Apart from that, I can't see why they're banned.

That said, I can't see why anyone would think they are necessary really. Running with thousands of others, with drink stops and the level of support you get, is not the same lonely experience as running alone.

True. I think its just what im used to though and they are (in my view) Good for timing.

I could understand not being able to use them for first 2 miles, but Once the crowd splits you should be able to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here