Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton/London marathon training

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
No music can sod right off, I don't always wear headphones running but I'm gonna have em in my pocket if I need a bit of music every now and then. I guess if something is said over the tannoy the other runners will react too :p

Did 20 miles over the weekend, time to taper now!

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Apparently it's a precaution in case any emergency vehicles need to get by.

Because the flashing blue light and deafening siren won't be enough of an indication? :shootself:

I understand you can get earphones that reduce ambient sounds and maybe some people might have the volume up too loud but BANNING iPods altogether is a bit extreme. I've been training with Nike+ and when I'm really feeling the strain (16 miles onwards) the music really does keep me going.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Apparently it's a precaution in case any emergency vehicles need to get by.

Because the flashing blue light and deafening siren won't be enough of an indication? :shootself:

I understand you can get earphones that reduce ambient sounds and maybe some people might have the volume up too loud but BANNING iPods altogether is a bit extreme. I've been training with Nike+ and when I'm really feeling the strain (16 miles onwards) the music really does keep me going.

Same as me.

Im not happy about this.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Exactly, I have no wish to hurt or put anyone in danger but as long as you pay attention to your surroundings you'll be fine.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On the other hand I can't honestly say I'm really compos mentis after about 17 or 18 miles of running. There are times when I wonder whether I'm even going to stop at junctions for lorries FFS. So given that fact, I think the emergency services are probably right to ask competitors to be as alert as possible, and I'd suggest running with an MP3 player is not going to help...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
On the other hand I can't honestly say I'm really compos mentis after about 17 or 18 miles of running. There are times when I wonder whether I'm even going to stop at junctions for lorries FFS. So given that fact, I think the emergency services are probably right to ask competitors to be as alert as possible, and I'd suggest running with an MP3 player is not going to help...

I can see where they are coming from, but i think they are over reacting a little bit by having a total ban. I really struggle without music even on the shortish runs.

I think i will take one and use it when needed, but not all the time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No Ipods is ridiculous.

Is it the same for London? Not seen anything in the blurb.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
The organisers are quite rightly partly covering themselves by making the right noises about the banning of ipods etc but in practice it is totally uneforceable. I can't see marshalls in yellow hi-viz's stopping people as they pass through the start gate.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The organisers are quite rightly partly covering themselves by making the right noises about the banning of ipods etc but in practice it is totally uneforceable. I can't see marshalls in yellow hi-viz's stopping people as they pass through the start gate.

I assume the same Hi Viz people will ban deaf people?

Ipods are always banned at marathons and big race events. And rightly so!!

It is considered ban manners to run a race wearing one.

Why on earth would you want to wear one during a race anyway!
The atmosphere during a marathon is brilliant. We are not talking about a training run here. You would want to hear the crowds, music being relayed & atmosphere surely.

With 12,000 runners, you won't be on your own & will be running alongside others the whole way run. People swerving to get drinks, crossing roads, and away from obstacles wont here you if you are wearing an ipod.

Just for once - on race day, don't bring your ipods folks.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It is considered ban manners to run a race wearing one.

Not me having a go at you.....

But why? For me its about getting to the end in the quickest time by any means possible, why would me wearing an Ipod effect other peoples enjoyment?

I want to run it fast, and if an Ipod can help me so what?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It doesn't really matter, surely? It's quite cool being able to talk to other competitors anyway (until the last 5 miles when NO-ONE is interested in talking).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It doesn't really matter, surely? It's quite cool being able to talk to other competitors anyway (until the last 5 miles when NO-ONE is interested in talking).

I think it will be yes, But I still would like to use one at certain points when lagging, such as the last 5/6 miles.

Not me having a go at you.....

But why? For me its about getting to the end in the quickest time by any means possible, why would me wearing an Ipod effect other peoples enjoyment?

I want to run it fast, and if an Ipod can help me so what?

As stated for the reasons I gave earlier, it is considered bad manners to run with an ipod. Surely for 3,4 or 5 hours you can do without the thing!
When the organisers have layed on music & entertainment, for someone to be wearing an ipod is rude isn't it?

Also as said earlier, people will be in your way, on your heels, passing close by, darting in & out for drinks etc. If you cannot hear them you will get knocked & bumped. A common complaint amongst first time marathon runners who wear one!

Surely you can leave it at home, for one day only?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As stated for the reasons I gave earlier, it is considered bad manners to run with an ipod. Surely for 3,4 or 5 hours you can do without the thing!
When the organisers have layed on music & entertainment, for someone to be wearing an ipod is rude isn't it?

Also as said earlier, people will be in your way, on your heels, passing close by, darting in & out for drinks etc. If you cannot hear them you will get knocked & bumped. A common complaint amongst first time marathon runners who wear one!

Surely you can leave it at home, for one day only?

Ive never done one of these things before, but is there going to be music throughout the track? I tend not to have my Ipod on full blast.

Surely An Ipod isnt going to affect your eye sight and you can see people coming?

Also I wasnt aware this wasnt a a rule when i signed up (My fault i know) but im sure im not the first time runner who is in the same boat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also as said earlier, people will be in your way, on your heels, passing close by, darting in & out for drinks etc. If you cannot hear them you will get knocked & bumped.

Are you serious? If so maybe the organisers should ban all the entertainment around the course and all spectators from clapping and cheering so that I have a better chance of HEARING people on my heels or 'darting in an out for drinks etc.'

In 2007 one person died, 57 people were taken to hospital and St John Ambulance said it treated 5,032 people. I wonder how many of these were iPod related?

Where did the reasoning for this ban come from anyway? Is there any science behind it? Probably not. But, if someone can come up with a paper which scientifically or statistically demonstrates that iPods are an above average risk then fair enough.....but I figure no one ever will because compared to the risks involved with actually running 26.2 miles it is totally minimal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here