Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton/London marathon training

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I recommend that April marathon runners run Goring 20 next Sunday. It will give you a race feel for a longer distance, together with completing the last long run in company.
Not the best route (4 loops) but it is flat. I have done this 5 times & would thoroughly advise for as many of you to do it

You got a link for it?

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
BANANAS. After struggling the last 2 weeks at 25k, despite gels, powerade etc... I took a banana this week. Not only was it nourishing and delicious after 20k, I ended up steaming the last 5k (25 - 30k). I shall be taking a whole BUNCH with me on marathon day.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I feel my training is coming on well - I did a 20 miler in 3hrs 9 mins last week, did just a slow 15 this week. Will aim for 22 in the next week of so, one more 18 then taper.

What is annoying is that I am on course for about 4hr 10 mins (in fact 4hr7mins) I would love to go sub 4hrs but may blow up if I go off too fast.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
As a keen runner reading these posts makes me feel i am in some way connected to a nerdy cult.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I feel my training is coming on well - I did a 20 miler in 3hrs 9 mins last week, did just a slow 15 this week. Will aim for 22 in the next week of so, one more 18 then taper.

What is annoying is that I am on course for about 4hr 10 mins (in fact 4hr7mins) I would love to go sub 4hrs but may blow up if I go off too fast.
If you can do 20 miles in 3 hours 9, that interpolates to around 4:06 or something. But you're still 4 or 5 weeks from your marathon - plenty of sensible food, and a sensible rest, and you may find that you make it on the big day.

I was disappointed at my own time this weekend, but have since re-evaluated things and am now confident I can hit my target time in 4 weeks time. :)

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
Completed the Hastings Half in 1:38:57 yesterday. Have to say its a great run, and the organisation is 1000% better than the Brighton Half, really good day out.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I managed 18 miles on Saturday in 2 hours 30 minutes which I was pleased with considering I had one of thos days when things didn't feel right.
I'm doing the Worthing/Goring 20 miler on Sunday and then starting the taper. Not too sure how much I shoudl actually drop my distances after this weekend but sure I will work it out.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Can you just turn up on the day for the Goring 20? It says there is limited spaces, anyone done it before?

I presume once the entry is full they close it. Registration is open at 7.30 on Sunday morning so I suggest getting there early, not ideal with the clocks going forward as well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Morning marathon runners. What are your running plans for this weekend?

Mine are:
Friday: interval training this lunchtime
Saturday: 7 miles fartlek
Sunday: light 5 miles
Monday lunchtime: 16 miles at marathon pace (I've started tapering down after 22 miles last weekend)

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
I've failed to do any training this week as I've had a cold! Major set-back with less than 4 weeks to go.

Was hoping to get back out there today but I'm still feeling a bit groggy. Probably go for a cheeky 6 miler tomorrow before Tranmere then 20 miles on Sunday, although the most I've done so far is 16 so whether I can step it up is another matter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Resting today/tonight (whilst the missus is out on the sauce).
Saturday 5m brisk run along the seafront.
Sunday Goring/Worthing 20 miler.

Two more weeks of serious stuff, then the taper begins.

Only 3 weeks to go folks, so how is the training going, injuries, starting to reduce mileage, fitness & realistic times for the marathon?

I run the Goring 20 this am in 2.37:01
was quite pleased by my time, though the marathon predictor time is 3.31
found the last 3 miles harder & slipped down a gear!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Ive gone and injured myself and will probably have to pull out of the London marathon.Gutted but i will probably defer to next year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just completed my ablutions and refuelling (ham sandwhich, coffee, Marocco's hot toffee fudge sundae and a bag of Bobby's Bacon Streaks incase you're wondering) post Goring 20. I really enjoyed it: well organised and nice people cheering you along the way. Nice Soviet style medal as well.

I did it in 2:31 in a nice steady manner which was deliberately a little off my marathon pace. I did the Thanet 20 at race pace (2:22) and was f***ed for a week after.

One more long run now (22 miles next Sunday) and then I start winding down for London.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
This is my first marathon but even so my times seem appalling compared to the ones here. Had my last long run today (Just over 20 miles) which is my longest yet and it did include a couple of big hill, including bear road but I struggled to a time of 3:45.

I did only have a small bottle of water for it but even so I am really thinking an extra 6 miles is gonna be hell.

Any advice for the next few weeks training and diet wise?

D

Deleted User X18H

This is my first marathon but even so my times seem appalling compared to the ones here. Had my last long run today (Just over 20 miles) which is my longest yet and it did include a couple of big hill, including bear road but I struggled to a time of 3:45.

I did only have a small bottle of water for it but even so I am really thinking an extra 6 miles is gonna be hell.

I did 10 miles today at a slow pace too slow actually about 1hr 35. I did 16 miles last week in 2hrs 39 so am looking at 4hrs 30 for the Marathon but you always run faster in the race it self (well I did over 10k)

Richy it's the taking part that counts not the speed over the course try to avoid five hours plus though.:thumbsup:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

don't be put off by the good times posted on here. You're not competing against them, you are competing against yourself and finishing will be one of the biggest personal achievements of your life. Everyone had to do their first one. Like you I've been taking on some very steep hills and they take an enormous amount of energy whatever part of the run. There will be nothing like them in the BM so you are actually training to a level quite a bit harder than the BM. The biggest enemy is negative thoughts and getting caught up in the excitement of the event. Just play your own game, don't go off too fast. Last point...don't forget why you are doing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here