Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton/London marathon training

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Are you serious? If so maybe the organisers should ban all the entertainment around the course and all spectators from clapping and cheering so that I have a better chance of HEARING people on my heels or 'darting in an out for drinks etc.'

In 2007 one person died, 57 people were taken to hospital and St John Ambulance said it treated 5,032 people. I wonder how many of these were iPod related?

Where did the reasoning for this ban come from anyway? Is there any science behind it? Probably not. But, if someone can come up with a paper which scientifically or statistically demonstrates that iPods are an above average risk then fair enough.....but I figure no one ever will because compared to the risks involved with actually running 26.2 miles it is totally minimal.

was 2007 the really hot year?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
i suppose wearing headphones listening to music removes/restricts one of our fundamental senses so it has got to be some sort of risk. I'll be ok carrying a ghetto blaster on my shoulder.

Simster - glad i'm not the only one to run like I'm giving Anne Widdicombe a piggy back when pissed after about 15 miles!

D

Deleted User X18H

It is 29 years to the day since the first London Marathon.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Does anyone know what the drinks (apart from water) will be? Someone told me it'll be Powerade and Clif Shot Bloks?

It's worth finding out so you don't give your stomach any nasty suprises. No one wants to emulate Paula Radcliffe and soil themselves mid-race.

Or do they?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Does anyone know what the drinks (apart from water) will be? Someone told me it'll be Powerade and Clif Shot Bloks?

It's worth finding out so you don't give your stomach any nasty suprises. No one wants to emulate Paula Radcliffe and soil themselves mid-race.

Or do they?
Thats the dream isnt it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Might have been, best play safe and ban the weather as well eh? This race is a turning out to be a death trap.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

I did London in 2007...it was 87 degrees in the Mall at the finish, might explain why Gordon Ramsey was spewing just after the finish in front of me...either that or he had some of his own tuck!

Ran worthing 20 yesterday and they frown on ipod players there, frown but dont ban. Its horses for courses....listen to ipod and you get the buzz from the beat which can inspire you.....dont and you get the atmospheric lift from the awesome crowd.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i suppose wearing headphones listening to music removes/restricts one of our fundamental senses so it has got to be some sort of risk.

As I point out, running 26.2 miles has risk attached to it. Eating a sausage has risk attached to it.

I might even have some truck with it if it was a workable ruling....but it isnt.

Health and safety gone made.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seven cardiac deaths have been reported in the London Marathon: five from severe coronary heart disease – in 1991, 1994, 1995 1997 and 2003 – and two with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM, a chronic disorder affecting the heart muscle) – in 1990 and 2001. Five successful cardiac resuscitations have taken place (in 1983, 1988, 1990, 1997 and 1998); all patients had coronary heart disease and were subsequently discharged from hospital. In the millennium race, a young man collapsed at the finish complaining of neck pain and died the following day in hospital following a diagnosis of subarachnoid (brain) haemorrhage.

This is an extract from ‘Morbidity and Mortality in the London Marathon’, a paper in Marathon Medicine, 2001.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seven cardiac deaths have been reported in the London Marathon: five from severe coronary heart disease – in 1991, 1994, 1995 1997 and 2003 – and two with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM, a chronic disorder affecting the heart muscle) – in 1990 and 2001. Five successful cardiac resuscitations have taken place (in 1983, 1988, 1990, 1997 and 1998); all patients had coronary heart disease and were subsequently discharged from hospital. In the millennium race, a young man collapsed at the finish complaining of neck pain and died the following day in hospital following a diagnosis of subarachnoid (brain) haemorrhage.

This is an extract from ‘Morbidity and Mortality in the London Marathon’, a paper in Marathon Medicine, 2001.

If only they hadnt been wearing Ipods.

Apple have a lot to answer for.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got my longest training run tomorrow...22 miles.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last long run today - 24 miles. Nice to have finished them as they have been WELL boring

Likewise, although mine was only 22. I slowed (and seized up) towards the end and I'm starting to feel it now, I've got quite a few niggling pains....and my feet are bloodied, blistered and nails are falling off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here