Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit late now but question about the disabled section at Withdean.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not at all simple - on account they've sold all the 1901 seats haven't they? And only had about 4 disabled 1901 seats available as I said at the beginning of last week, which may have gone by now as more disgruntled disabled fans stump up for the seat licences in the 1901 club area just to get a non pitch side view in a home stand.

Yes, they have sold some seats at the premium price but it would be simple to declassify some areas and reimburse the holders of any WC bays so they now pay the regular price. Whilst it will not address the issue of these bays being unavailable in the past, it will address the problem from here on in i.e. there will be a greater selection of WC bays available at regular prices albeit in some areas only when the WC season ticket lapses, or folk make their ticket available for an indivual game.

I've highlighted what I feel is the single flaw, and I will fully understand people being miffed by this. But I think this will be very simple to arrange and a good place to start. Where there is a will......

Last edited:

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010
It's not just wheelchair users and BODS members who will need consideration and a shuttle service. It's ambulant disabled fans as well - the absence of adequate blue badge parking within convenient walking distance of the stadium will cause a lot of fans to struggle.

BODS are very concerned about the parking for all disabled supporters. If a shuttle service could be put in place to run between carparks and the ground then it would be for all disabled supporters not just BODS members. The parking could make the difference between being able to go to a match or not.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
BODS are very concerned about the parking for all disabled supporters. If a shuttle service could be put in place to run between carparks and the ground then it would be for all disabled supporters not just BODS members. The parking could make the difference between being able to go to a match or not.

I recall this has been a concern for a while. Due to having no need to sit in there anymore, I completely forgot about that.

My brother was having concerns about how to get my dad there.

Hopefully this is relatively easy to sort out and if other fans can help out in any way (although I'm not sure how...), all the better.

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010
There will be 26 blue badge spaces by the stadium concourse. The access road to this parking will be closed 90 minutes before a game and could take up to an hour to re-open after a game The rest will be at the universities , the nearest being a 5 minute walk ( for able bods)

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
Maybe I am jumping the gun but I have emailed Martin Perry today on the advice of the office person who responded to my email inititially as he could not answer all of my questions. It's probably not appropriate for me to copy the exact email up onto NSC but points I asked for clarification on as follows:
I have asked for an explanation on the clubs rationale for deciding the seating arrangements for fans with disabilities ( in particular those in a wheelchair)?

• Why there will still be a high reliance on pitch side seating ( open to elements, poor view etc..)?
• Why no integration between fans with disabilities and those without( other than those in the 1901 area)? It’s almost like segregation.
• Positioning the elevated seating areas in the corners of the ground ( the worst areas for viewing)

I have made the point that it's not really sounding like the Community Stadium we were all expecting.

Apologies if you think I should have waited etc.. but just feeling very frustrated and quite annoyed about this issue

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Do you think that if they filled in the corners then we could have a fully integrated elevated disabled section. Similar to Charlton? With able bodied supporters in the rows behind?

To be honest corner views are excellent as long as you are elevated.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Do you think that if they filled in the corners then we could have a fully integrated elevated disabled section. Similar to Charlton? With able bodied supporters in the rows behind?

To be honest corner views are excellent as long as you are elevated.

Agree. If the viewing areas are at the top of the corner sections then I don't think that will be too bad at all.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
Agree. If the viewing areas are at the top of the corner sections then I don't think that will be too bad at all.

Sorry, but is that good enough?

Shouldn't all fans have an option on where to sit. I think most agree that on the halfway line in an elevated position is the best place in the ground but if you are unless you pay for 1901 there isn't that option for fans with disabilities.

I don't know, I spend months not posting and now I can't stop!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If the answer comes back that there is little they can do, poor though that would be, perhaps they can address when they add the second tier to the East Stand?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
1. I am astounded by the lack of decent stadium provision for disabled supporters.
2. The number of Blue Badge car parking spaces is, frankly, a joke.
3. Somebody at the Club needs to take hold of this and get it sorted.
4. All the Supporters Club Bar stuff and first club to offer Real Ale blah blah blah is find and dandy. But it seems eyes have been taken off the more important issues.
5. Falmer For All?

Hope it all gets fixed, for all concerned, now and in the future.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I thought one of the reasons why we had to make some 'housekeeping' changes to the original planning application was so that along with other things we complied with the updated disability act? If these are the revised plans (presumably improved) then what were the original plans like?

I sure I heard that one of the requirements was that disabled supporters were to have access to all areas of the stadium, within reason. I can't see why in a brand new stadium disabled supporters are limited to the corners of the ground. Very disappointing. Hopefully something can be done to address this?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I thought one of the reasons why we had to make some 'housekeeping' changes to the original planning application was so that along with other things we complied with the updated disability act? If these are the revised plans (presumably improved) then what were the original plans like?

I sure I heard that one of the requirements was that disabled supporters were to have access to all areas of the stadium, within reason. I can't see why in a brand new stadium disabled supporters are limited to the corners of the ground. Very disappointing. Hopefully something can be done to address this?

Agreed.
Would be a shame if the first goal to be scored at the Amex is an own goal...

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Agreed.
Would be a shame if the first goal to be scored at the Amex is an own goal...

Yes, if I worked in the club's PR I'd be addressing this before the Argus do. Or do they not read NSC? Yes there's a lot of nonsence but every now and then, issues like this are raised and frankly the club ought to act upon them.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Agree with all the sentiments expressed. Thanks to everyone who's PM'd me so far. Just to re-iterate, we're all waiting to hear back from the club on this before Tina and BODS decides what to do next. If Tina and her gang need any help then hopefully we can get a few people together to show solidarity and lend a hand.

To be perfectly frank, I can't quite believe this situation still.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Agree with all the sentiments expressed. Thanks to everyone who's PM'd me so far. Just to re-iterate, we're all waiting to hear back from the club on this before Tina and BODS decides what to do next. If Tina and her gang need any help then hopefully we can get a few people together to show solidarity and lend a hand.

To be perfectly frank, I can't quite believe this situation still.

You said up top that you wished you'd never started the thread cos it depressed you. Hope you've now given your depressed self a good kicking and realised that you've helped highlight a major issue that the club will hopefully now address before the opening game.

Boy done good :clap:

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
Nothing to report this morning from either "ask the club" or Martin Perry. To be fair I am sure Martin is very busy and should be given a few days? to respond. At some stage though this might need to be esculated via BODS and us as well - the Argus being an obvious starting point.
Let's wait and see......we might be surprised!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You said up top that you wished you'd never started the thread cos it depressed you. Hope you've now given your depressed self a good kicking and realised that you've helped highlight a major issue that the club will hopefully now address before the opening game.

Boy done good :clap:

I agree. I seem to remember that we were told that the facilities for the disabled were going to be second to none once upon a time.

Last edited:

Nothing to report this morning from either "ask the club" or Martin Perry. To be fair I am sure Martin is very busy and should be given a few days? to respond. At some stage though this might need to be esculated via BODS and us as well - the Argus being an obvious starting point.
Let's wait and see......we might be surprised!

falmer for all,don't give up on this one:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here