Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit late now but question about the disabled section at Withdean.

Tiger Barb

Jan 31, 2009
Finland (where else?)
Shame there's only going to be 12 disabled parking spaces at the ground which is less than we have at Withdean.

And you have the road closure to contend with.

I think I am right in saying that cars will need to be parked up 2 hours before a game and unable to leave for up to 1 hour after a game. Not really convenient for those attending mid week games or those with children.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Good practice says that where the number of blue badge parking spaces is limited and demand will exceed supply, it is essential that ALL blue badge spaces are bookable in advance. That will be an interesting process. How will the Club manage it?.

From what I understand the spaces will have to be pre-booked and user's will have to pay to use them as well, On top of that I've also been told that to gain access to the spaces it will mean getting to the ground something like 2 hours before kick off and then having to wait over an hour after the match to get your car back out again.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
From what I understand the spaces will have to be pre-booked and user's will have to pay to use them as well, On top of that I've also been told that to gain access to the spaces it will mean getting to the ground something like 2 hours before kick off and then having to wait over an hour after the match to get your car back out again.

If true and no reason to doubt you it doesn't sound great does it:

Continuing with pitch side seating
Elevated seating in corners only not integrated with other fans
Only elevated integrated seating for those able to pay for 1901
12 parking spaces
Have to arrive two hours before game and wait one hour after

Not really what I was expecting at our community stadium.
No response from insider yet so next steps will be email to Martin Perry later today.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
And you have the road closure to contend with.

I think I am right in saying that cars will need to be parked up 2 hours before a game and unable to leave for up to 2 hours after a game. Not really convenient for those attending mid week games or those with children.

In all honesty as far as disabled fans are concerned it looks like the match day experience at Falmer is going to be harder work and a lot more expensive than Withdean has ever been.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I do not see the need for holding folk back for an hour. Why? Whilst I appreciate there will be some form of traffic management on match days there will certainly be an express route from the immediate stadium surroundings after a game. You cannot tell me that everyone who has a car parked at the ground i.e. players, officials, press and staff will all be held back an hour.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
There appears to be a set of wider terrace steps at the top of the east stand/south end just below the webcam, are these to be/could they, be used for wheelchair spectators, anyone know what they are for?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If true and no reason to doubt you it doesn't sound great does it:

Continuing with pitch side seating
Elevated seating in corners only not integrated with other fans
Only elevated integrated seating for those able to pay for 1901
12 parking spaces
Have to arrive two hours before game and wait one hour after

Not really what I was expecting at our community stadium.
No response from insider yet so next steps will be email to Martin Perry later today.

You can add doing away with concessionary prices for disabled fans to the list as well.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Has anyone got the BODS contact number/name/email address please?

Can't see it on the Seagulls website. I'm going to contact them and draw their attention to this thread and (hopefully) the Insider responses. With their permission, I'll put the BODS reply on here.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Still no response from Insider.

The more I think about this the worse the club come across. I remember very many times Martin Perry and others talking about how disabled supporters would have a wholly improved experience and even mocking stadiums that have been built without considering this and I think this is why people didn't even consider that it was going to be an issue, UNTIL NOW.

The club needs to sort this out and quickly.

Tiger Barb

Jan 31, 2009
Finland (where else?)

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Still no response from Insider.

QUOTE]

Give him a chance already! The questions were only posted on Sunday evening. It's not something he'll be able to answer himself. I think you should interpret the fact that they haven't been answered yet as an indication the questions are being taken seriously and care is being taken to provide a full and detailed response.

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
In PR speak a "full and detailed response" often means "whitewash" or "sweeping under the carpet". Hope the Albion are better than that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've spoken with Tina, chairman of BODS and the gist of her response is thus:

BODS is delighted with the facilities and access for disabled fans within the Amex stadium and truly believe this can't be faulted. They are, however, surprised that places for disabled fans who are not 1901 club members are offered only at pitch level at the front of the main stands or in a restricted area away from fellow Albion fans. This was not quite what they were expecting.

They are also concerned about parking and the lack of disabled parking bays in the immediate vicinity of the stadium. They are trying to lobby the club for funding for a shuttle service for disabled fans to a nearby carpark.

We're obviously waiting on the club's response to the questions in ATC before we take the next steps but I hope we can show the club that we all just want fans to share the Falmer experience equally. I hope as well we can help with the campaign for funding for the shuttle service. Tina did also ask me to thank everyone for their support. They've been working for this for 8 years now and really appreciate it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I cant believe in this new super stadium they couldnt allocate a small elevated section to our disabled supporters within the east or west lower.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
.. but you do still get a free carer ......

Not in the 1901 club you don't e.g. a £2k outlay before you've even started your monthly direct debit. Why go 1901? Because the alternatives are something none of us would want unless they were te very last seats in the AMEX. Let alone if you're getting first dibs because you've been a STH for 14 years in Gillingham and Withdean.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I've spoken with Tina, chairman of BODS and the gist of her response is thus:

BODS is delighted with the facilities and access for disabled fans within the Amex stadium and truly believe this can't be faulted. They are, however, surprised that places for disabled fans who are not 1901 club members are offered only at pitch level at the front of the main stands or in a restricted area away from fellow Albion fans. This was not quite what they were expecting.

They are also concerned about parking and the lack of disabled parking bays in the immediate vicinity of the stadium. They are trying to lobby the club for funding for a shuttle service for disabled fans to a nearby carpark.

We're obviously waiting on the club's response to the questions in ATC before we take the next steps but I hope we can show the club that we all just want fans to share the Falmer experience equally. I hope as well we can help with the campaign for funding for the shuttle service. Tina did also ask me to thank everyone for their support. They've been working for this for 8 years now and really appreciate it.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here