Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit late now but question about the disabled section at Withdean.

tangfastic

Nov 1, 2009
hove
contacting bods (brighton official disabled supporters) might be a starting point. link on seagulls site. i have contact numbers/emails somewhere.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The post above by LbtP shows just how far the club can go when it tries, love the bit about wheelchair football, that must have been truly memorable. I believe that a lift is being installed at Falmer to make access easier to the ground from the car park for those with mobility issues...it is a pity, judging by these comments, that arrangements inside the ground don't appear to match.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I have made my representations to the club, and if they read this thread, they will know who I am. I blame myself to some extent because unless you are either disabled, or someone you love is, you can get a little battle weary fighting for everything from wheelchairs to after school clubs, and I didn't get involved in the stadium design - I just assumed it would be good.

Which is why you need gobby twats like me with (only slightly) less of an emotional attachment to do it for you! And we will - Christ I'm even agreeing with Prince Mohammed! See what you've done ;) But you're right, I think we've all just assumed it would be fit for 2010's not a throw back to the 1980's and before. And the club's caught us all out consequently. It's crushingly disappointing and as I've said in prior posts, totally out of character with the excellent work done by Teresa Sanders and co who actually make me beam with pride when winning such prestigious awards for our little club. It's just bizzare how the team working on the stadium don't seem to have consulted them. Perplexing.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just wanted to bounce this for a weekday discussion - I'm both moved and frustrated by this thread and I hope that whatever can be done will be done, or at least get the club to respond and answer these points. Hats off to those of you pushing this.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
I am waiting for a response to my ask the club question before considering next steps. Let's hope we get a positive response so we don't have to take this issue further. There is so much to be positive about at the moment that it's a real shame to be considering a petition and letters of complaint to the club but it's totally not acceptable to not provide a viewing experience for wheelchair users that it is not up to the standards of the rest of the ground. I think there is a word to describe this..........

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My son is disabled with Muscular Dystrophy, and normally at Withdean I carry him up the steps in F block so we can sit in the rain like proper fans! This was always going to be his last year as he is getting bigger, and my back isn't great. Before Xmas he fell and broke a couple of vertebrae in the base of his spine, so carrying him up steps whilst he is healing was not an option for 8 weeks. The club were really good, and have swapped our tickets for disabled section for December and January. I can confirm that the view is shit.

As for the Amex, was really disappointed with the prospective disabled seating, but it too is now a done deal. It too is basically all in the corners. The 2 northstand corners are pitchside, as per Withdean. Being pitchside, we would probably still get wet when it rains. Having done that for 12 years, was never going to sit there. The other southstand corners are half way up, but is basically a single walkway connecting the away fans to the east and west. No fans behind or in front, and therefore reduced atmos, and still not a good position in the stadium.

When you watch games in stadia that are not full, the areas that arn't full are the corners and pitchside. The reason is because they are the worst seats. Why we have done this at Falmer is so disappointing considering the efforts and brilliant work done by AITC. The broadfield stadium is better . With help from family and my impending redundancy payout, my son and I have decided to go 1901 disabled.
I've got to say, 100% total fair play and respect to you mate. As has been said you're one hell of a Dad, the club should bloody GIVE you a ticket.

There are a fair few organizations that would get their teeth into this issue! could an online petition be the start? I sure the argus would love this sort of story,this is an issue that the club need a kick up the a**e with.Yes the footballs great yes the stadiums superb! but do you recall falmer for all!
I recall it.

But move on. This is the new Albion.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I've got to say, 100% total fair play and respect to you mate. As has been said you're one hell of a Dad, the club should bloody GIVE you a ticket.

In fairness at falmer they will; as a helper. Just needed to fork out £2k first for 2 1901 licences because the alternatives were so appalling! and after 12 seasons and 2 at gillingham the discovery of the alternative pitch side or south corners on your own basically forced him into this through sheer despair.

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
I saw my first game at the Goldstone in the 1950's sitting behind the touch line in my wheelchair. It was normal then but this 2010. I was looking forward to taking my grandson to Falmer but I am not so sure now.

I think American Express should be made aware of the adverse publicity this could bring. They world have the clout to get something done.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There are a fair few organizations that would get their teeth into this issue! could an online petition be the start? I sure the argus would love this sort of story,this is an issue that the club need a kick up the a**e with.Yes the footballs great yes the stadiums superb! but do you recallfalmer for all!

That might be an option further down the line.

But it would be only fair to put this to the club first and see what their response is. To go running straight to the Argus without even giving the Albion a chance to clarify the situation would be a little like one of those bints that sleeps with a footballer, claims it wasn't consensual but books an appointment with Max Clifford and the Sunday People before even mentioning it to the police.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
I have submitted an ask the club question and a general enquiry type email directly to the club for more information on the facilities. I agree that we should wait for the club to respond and then when on receipt of the facts consider what to do next. I have to say my experience of the Albion with my Brother (Withdean aside - Duke of Wellington pub funded the sun/rain canopy over the dire supporters area) up to now has been good.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is there not the possibility for the club to build up a couple of the corners and make them into the disabled sections ? If the disabled fans are in the corner in an elevated position, and further back so as to be sheltered from the elements, then that has to be an improvement on what it currently being offered. I suppose its too late now to accomodate them into the West/East (as they most certainly should have done from the start) but perhaps this can be looked at next close season.

If those corners are essentially going to be empty until possible future expansion, then the club should build proper terraced stands in them with wheelchair access, so that those fans are on a level with the rest of those who are in the lower tier around the stadium. Still not brilliant being tucked in the corner, but that elevation and shelter could make all the difference. And planning-wise, its not going to make any discernable difference to the stadium capacity, so that shouldn't be an issue.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Easy, the answers to sone of your questions lie in earlier posts by likes of me, Lindfield by sea etc

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I view this thread with interest, since although our old man won't make it to Falmer, I assumed that the new disabled area was going to greatly "enhanced" due to the miserable facilities at Withdean.

I should know, I sat in there for years. We've probably spoken Portlock - many times.

It was far from good and what many people may not know is that the awning was often never in use because it couldn't handle the wind. It was also broken for a while.

At Falmer, I envisaged an area in the West Stand - presumably this isn't the case ? Have I read correctly, that the disabled fans are going to be tucked away in the "unused" corners, away from all the other fans ? At pitch level ?

Very surprised indeed. I'd be very interested to hear the thinking behind that decision.

Football has had a funny relationship with disabled supporters over the years. Historically, well ahead of the game in the universality of access. But having experienced sitting in such an area in the latter days of Withdean, the feeling of exclusion and difference expressed above is valid.

The view from a corner is probably great, but in my ignorant view - I would think the next step forward would be to do more to integrate the able and disabled together.

I'm sure I've seen this at other stadium.

I'm very much of the "level playing field" school of thought. In that, disabled fans shouldn't expect to pay less or be treated specially - but expect as far as possible the same match experience as us able bodied.

The world has moved on and a cheaper price shouldn't mean a compromised view.

The problem of people standing in front is a bit of a red herring. If disabled supporters are integral to the design, wouldn't you ensure that the seating areas in front are low enough to accomodate those permanently seated behind ?

Last edited:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Looking at the webcam, what's the big flat area in the corner:

17-Jan-11 13.11.jpg

I really find it hard to believe that the club would only offer pitch level viewing, it's appalling.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
I asked the Ticket office via email to confirm wheelchair seating areas - see below:

there are 5 different locations for Wheelchair users and their companions to sit.

West stand lower, situated next to the North penalty area, East Stand situated next to the North penalty area, North Stand either side of the goal, all these will be at the fron of the appropriate stands.

Sout East Corner raised viewinig, and South west corner raised viewing are right next to the west and the east stands which will hopefully be full along with corner sections so I personally don't believe it'll be lacking in atmosphere, but unfortunately we will not know untill we play our first game

Confirmation that seating will be a split of pitch level and the two corner areas as per the picture on the previous posting I guess. At least there will be some elevated seating but why the club is not integrating the areas and fans I don't know.:wrong:
My Brother always says he just wants to be treated the same in life...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here