Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit late now but question about the disabled section at Withdean.

There are a fair few organizations that would get their teeth into this issue! could an online petition be the start? I sure the argus would love this sort of story,this is an issue that the club need a kick up the a**e with.Yes the footballs great yes the stadiums superb! but do you recall falmer for all!
I recall it.

But move on. This is the new Albion.
Do you think it is acceptable then?
I think you should clarify this?

I guess I should clarify what I meant.

To be honest, I was feeling just a little bit jaundiced when I made my earlier post - and I probably ought to apologise. But the point I was making was that, for many years, the Club and the Project Team involved the Falmer For All Team in detailed discussions about just about everything related to the stadium and the struggle to achieve it. That no longer seems to be happening and decisions are now being taken by the Project Team, without the input of the group of "critical friends" that were involved at the earlier stages.

I may be wrong, of course, and it may be that similar consultations still continue, but without my input. I'm not aware, however, that this is the case. As people may recall, last September, I had a bit of a personal spat with one individual member of the Project Team - arising from a misunderstanding on his part of my role in failing to control some critical comments that had appeared on NSC in relation to another matter. The fact that I was on holiday at the time - with no access to NSC - was ignored.

But let's move on.

I am concerned about the apparent problems relating to disabled access that have been flagged up in this thread. It's a topic that I feel particularly strongly about, because a good part of my working life has been spent dealing with such matters and advising others on matters relating to access for people with disabilities. As far as I am concerned, the most important thing is that organisations actively seek out the views of disabled customers and take heed of what is said.

As I say, I don't know whether this has happened in relation to the seating arrangements at Falmer Stadium. I hope it has. If it hasn't, I hope it's not too late. And good luck to the individuals who are now raising the topic with the Club. Despite the fact that we are getting a magnificent stadium, I believe that there should still be an input from fans and that the Club should work with us all to make going there the best possible experience.

Apologies again, though, for my jaundiced outburst earlier today.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
I guess I should clarify what I meant.

To be honest, I was feeling just a little bit jaundiced when I made my earlier post - and I probably ought to apologise. But the point I was making was that, for many years, the Club and the Project Team involved the Falmer For All Team in detailed discussions about just about everything related to the stadium and the struggle to achieve it. That no longer seems to be happening and decisions are now being taken by the Project Team, without the input of the group of "critical friends" that were involved at the earlier stages.

I may be wrong, of course, and it may be that similar consultations still continue, but without my input. I'm not aware, however, that this is the case. As people may recall, last September, I had a bit of a personal spat with one individual member of the Project Team - arising from a misunderstanding on his part of my role in failing to control some critical comments that had appeared on NSC in relation to another matter. The fact that I was on holiday at the time - with no access to NSC - was ignored.

But let's move on.

I am concerned about the apparent problems relating to disabled access that have been flagged up in this thread. It's a topic that I feel particularly strongly about, because a good part of my working life has been spent dealing with such matters and advising others on matters relating to access for people with disabilities. As far as I am concerned, the most important thing is that organisations actively seek out the views of disabled customers and take heed of what is said.

As I say, I don't know whether this has happened in relation to the seating arrangements at Falmer Stadium. I hope it has. If it hasn't, I hope it's not too late. And good luck to the individuals who are now raising the topic with the Club. Despite the fact that we are getting a magnificent stadium, I believe that there should still be an input from fans and that the Club should work with us all to make going there the best possible experience.

Apologies again, though, for my jaundiced outburst earlier today.

Thank you!

I think considering the information received earlier from the ticket office we should contact the club more formally to ask them to explain their decision not to integrate all fans - thoughts?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
17-Jan-11 13.11.jpg

Looks fine to me!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Magoo - think you've just earnt a ban for that insensitive post. I for one would love you to have the courage to say that to a disabled person and their families in the face. You'd have to bring a friend though to pick you up after you've been floored in most likelihood. And you'd do well to book the dentist in advance. How brave of you taking the mike out of disabled kids and the like that support our club. Idiot.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Magoo - think you've just earnt a ban for that insensitive post. I for one would love you to have the courage to say that to a disabled person and their families in the face. You'd have to bring a friend though to pick you up after you've been floored in most likelihood. And you'd do well to book the dentist in advance. How brave of you taking the mike out of disabled kids and the like that support our club. Idiot.

calm down mate. i've got a disability myself. i was just trying to point out in an amusing way that the platform is probably for disabled specators.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Thank you!

I think considering the information received earlier from the ticket office we should contact the club more formally to ask them to explain their decision not to integrate all fans - thoughts?

still need to wait for Insider to respond but yes I agree.

As I said earlier my wife doesn't really like football so doesn't come with me but obviously I had thought that at some stage I would take her to experience our wonderful new ground. Reading this thread with the facilities provided and the deliberate isolation of disabled users I think that is a pleasure I will now forego - I don't think I could cope with the earache!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
calm down mate. i've got a disability myself. i was just trying to point out in an amusing way that the platform is probably for disabled specators.

Your disability if your mouth. Just because you've got one doesn't make it ok for you to insult others; show some respect. And maturity.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Your disability if your mouth. Just because you've got one doesn't make it ok for you to insult others; show some respect. And maturity.

Have to say, I laughed at the picture - I took it as a witty criticism of the Albion's (apparent) attitude towards some of their supporters, rather than insulting anyone. Magoo has already described the situation as "appalling", after all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just picked up on this thread. My father has been disabled since his youth and been in a wheelchair for the past 10 years, so I take a keen interest in items like this.

I must admit, like a few others, I took my eye off the ball here. I had a few communications with Martin Perry a number of years ago about various issues which my father had encountered in other stadia. The main one being wheelchair births not being sufficiently raised for when the able bodied crowd in front stand up. I was told my points were addressed. I was also led to believe there was going to be a wide selection of disabled seats and facilities. Albeit a number of years ago, I distinctly remember being told at one point by Martin Perry that some disabled seating would be above pitch level and due to the lie of the land the entrance would be at ground level. This latter point was said with pride and gusto. Given what I heard, and also knowing that BODS were consulted over most issues, I thought nothing more of it and assumed all would be good. After all this is the 21st century and we were building a state-of-the-art stadium which has to comply with various legislation for access and rights.

First up, is there anyone from BODS who can clarify the numbers and positions of all the various wheelchair births and the various discussions which have taken place?

But, if what has been written on this thread is true, I'm quit surprised that there are no elevated wheelchair births along the side of the pitch for sale at a regular price. I know such seats are available if you want to pay a premium..as my father has joined the 1910 club. Are there any wheelchair seats at the back of the East Stand?

One idea is to declassify some, or all, of the 1901 wheelchair births.

I'll certainly be willing to help on this issue.

Further, I laughed at the graphic further up the thread.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm quite surprised (if true) that any disabled areas are at pitch level.

One of the problems at Withdean is the press photographers and players warming up in that corner.

Often you could get five players standing around the corner flag and during the big games 4 photographers to the left of the goal.

Sounds petty, but those two little things can completely ruin a rubbish view :lolol:

Put it this way, when you got a few players there and were sat in line forget about seeing ANYTHING going on around the goal at the other end.

Nothing you would realise unless you sat there, nothing you would realise unless you ask.

The stewards were great at getting stuff like that sorted out. The photographers happy to spread themselves out (or sit the other side of the goal), the players quite happy to congregate down the other end - which appears to be where they go now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are waiting to hear back from Insider for details of how and why the decision was made to arrange the facilities as they have. You make a good suggestion but can you see the club being prepared to do it.

If you want my honest opinion yes I can see the club doing it. Given the fact the club boast about the high percentage of the build cost going on finishing, facilitating real ale, facilitating a supporter's club, fancy lighting in the away end, art, a museum etc......it seems a bit odd to have really poor disabled viewing. Get the disabled viewing correct and, size aside, our ground will be the gold standard. I really believe this.

Given the fact the club have sold more premium seats than they ever envisaged declassifying a few/all will have little impact on revenue but a huge impact on goodwill.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My son is disabled with Muscular Dystrophy, and normally at Withdean I carry him up the steps in F block so we can sit in the rain like proper fans! This was always going to be his last year as he is getting bigger, and my back isn't great. Before Xmas he fell and broke a couple of vertebrae in the base of his spine, so carrying him up steps whilst he is healing was not an option for 8 weeks. The club were really good, and have swapped our tickets for disabled section for December and January. I can confirm that the view is shit.

As for the Amex, was really disappointed with the prospective disabled seating, but it too is now a done deal. It too is basically all in the corners. The 2 northstand corners are pitchside, as per Withdean. Being pitchside, we would probably still get wet when it rains. Having done that for 12 years, was never going to sit there. The other southstand corners are half way up, but is basically a single walkway connecting the away fans to the east and west. No fans behind or in front, and therefore reduced atmos, and still not a good position in the stadium.

When you watch games in stadia that are not full, the areas that arn't full are the corners and pitchside. The reason is because they are the worst seats. Why we have done this at Falmer is so disappointing considering the efforts and brilliant work done by AITC. The broadfield stadium is better . With help from family and my impending redundancy payout, my son and I have decided to go 1901 disabled.

Top dad.

Also cheers to Buzzer for flagging this up.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
can't take the credit for this, it's Portlock, Lindfield by the Sea, Shanker and others that deserve the thanks. I was as ignorant as the rest of the Albion support so it seems.

Clapham_gull - Can you empty your inbox please? I need to reply to your PM

Shame there's only going to be 12 disabled parking spaces at the ground which is less than we have at Withdean.
Good practice says that where the number of blue badge parking spaces is limited and demand will exceed supply, it is essential that ALL blue badge spaces are bookable in advance. That will be an interesting process. How will the Club manage it?

Manchester City FC offer 321 pre-bookable disabled parking spaces within 250 metres of the stadium and even they have a long waiting list for these.

Incidentally ... the Olympic Delivery Authority have got this issue hopelessly wrong in their transport plans for London 2012.

Tiger Barb

Jan 31, 2009
Finland (where else?)
Good practice says that where the number of blue badge parking spaces is limited and demand will exceed supply, it is essential that ALL blue badge spaces are bookable in advance. That will be an interesting process. How will the Club manage it?

Incidentally ... the Olympic Delivery Authority have got this issue hopelessly wrong in their transport plans for London 2012.

I am led to believe that the club will be appointing a Transport Manager, presumably this will be their responsibility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here