Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit late now but question about the disabled section at Withdean.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I cant believe in this new super stadium they couldnt allocate a small elevated section to our disabled supporters within the east or west lower.

Someone needs to ask the club 1) how many remaining 1901 wheelchair bays are there? 2) can these be declassified and sold at a regular price?

The club have sold more premium seats than in their wildest dreams...so declassifying a few wheelchair bays in the 1901 club will not hurt. Maybe just declassify on the wings and not the centre line? If some wheelchair bays remain unsold this is a really simple solution.

And I'm sure something can be done to resolve the issue regarding those who have already paid a premium for a WC bay in the 1901 Club.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Still no response from Insider.

The more I think about this the worse the club come across. I remember very many times Martin Perry and others talking about how disabled supporters would have a wholly improved experience and even mocking stadiums that have been built without considering this and I think this is why people didn't even consider that it was going to be an issue, UNTIL NOW.

The club needs to sort this out and quickly.

In a nutshell. I've said the same. To paraphrase Wellington, we've "been humbugged, by god". In modern palance, we've been shat on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not in the 1901 club you don't e.g. a £2k outlay before you've even started your monthly direct debit. Why go 1901? Because the alternatives are something none of us would want unless they were te very last seats in the AMEX. Let alone if you're getting first dibs because you've been a STH for 14 years in Gillingham and Withdean.

My understanding is that you do if you need one. In fact the building plans show wheelchair bays and the helper's seat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In a nutshell. I've said the same. To paraphrase Wellington, we've "been humbugged, by god". In modern palance, we've been shat on.

Give the club a chance.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Not in the 1901 club you don't e.g. a £2k outlay before you've even started your monthly direct debit. Why go 1901? Because the alternatives are something none of us would want unless they were te very last seats in the AMEX. Let alone if you're getting first dibs because you've been a STH for 14 years in Gillingham and Withdean.

I think your bro only had to shell out one lot of £1,000, mate. But whether he's allowed to go if L can't, is another thing.

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010
My understanding is that you do if you need one. In fact the building plans show wheelchair bays and the helper's seat.

You do get helper free in the1901 club as long as you need a helper. the policy has been changed for all adult disabled supporters . There is no longer a concession rate for adult disabled. You pay the same rate as able bodied supporters . My season ticket has cost me £200 more at Falmer than at Withdean.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think your bro only had to shell out one lot of £1,000, mate. But whether he's allowed to go if L can't, is another thing.

You think - but I know! £2k paid last week.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I may be wrong, but the need to charge the same has possibly something to do with current equality legislation ?

It which case the obvious argument regarding equality (at all football grounds) can easily be made...

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Christ, will people stop challenging on things they clearly don't know about and others, such as I, know are "concrete" (giving this is a building project). Because "we've" been on site, with club officials, and been shown the situation. And that only came about because we studied the plans in detail when released a couple of weeks ago and we couldn't quite believe the poor seating options for non-wealthy disabled fans.

Either that or please revisit previous posts and read the facts we've made available to you all. Sorry, it's an emotional subject as you'd appreciate and it's nice to have your support guys, but stop putting your interpretation on things because you're "suppossing" rather than actually "know". Ironically, that's exactly what we did and it was a fatal error e.g. that the stadium design would be like Old Trafford, Wembley, MK Dons and even Crawley with regards to disabled seating. And it's not. Which is why this thread's started in the first place.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Someone needs to ask the club 1) how many remaining 1901 wheelchair bays are there? 2) can these be declassified and sold at a regular price?

The club have sold more premium seats than in their wildest dreams...so declassifying a few wheelchair bays in the 1901 club will not hurt. Maybe just declassify on the wings and not the centre line? If some wheelchair bays remain unsold this is a really simple solution.

And I'm sure something can be done to resolve the issue regarding those who have already paid a premium for a WC bay in the 1901 Club.

1. About 4 left a week + ago
2. Impossible - demand would outstrip supply in a micro second and you're reverse discriminating against able bodied supporters too which is unfair (and patronising to many disabled fans who fiercely campaign not to be treated differently)

My fear, because the plans for the stadium were signed off years ago, is that any change the club tries to implement may be an elastoplast type solution e.g. realistically, as I've said prior, you need to re-drawn the architecture of all stands to accomodate accordingly and this can't be done in time for the opening or probably in the next couple of seasons even. But, and I think it's worth mentioning again because some have clearly not caught onto this, all this could have been avoided if the same seating plans had been applied to the home areas as have been done for the AWAY supporters. E.g. we've looked after them, but not our OWN. Seating's fine if you come as an away supporter to the AMEX. MAybe that's what we should do, sneek in as an away fan each week. Although replica shirts bill is going to be a bit pricey - might as well go in the 1901 club.....Doh!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
You think - but I know! £2k paid last week.

My brother has just texted me to say the club misinformed him and phoned the next day to correct (but didn't tell me this!). It's £1200 for the licence plus the monthly debit thereafter and the carer doesn't have to pay a licence fee (the monthly debit was always free, that was clear from the start. If the club doesn't know it's pricing, maybe we should all check what we've been debited though!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Christ, will people stop challenging on things they clearly don't know about and others, such as I, know are "concrete" (giving this is a building project). Because "we've" been on site, with club officials, and been shown the situation. And that only came about because we studied the plans in detail when released a couple of weeks ago and we couldn't quite believe the poor seating options for non-wealthy disabled fans.

Either that or please revisit previous posts and read the facts we've made available to you all. Sorry, it's an emotional subject as you'd appreciate and it's nice to have your support guys, but stop putting your interpretation on things because you're "suppossing" rather than actually "know". Ironically, that's exactly what we did and it was a fatal error e.g. that the stadium design would be like Old Trafford, Wembley, MK Dons and even Crawley with regards to disabled seating. And it's not. Which is why this thread's started in the first place.

It is certainly the case for the seat I have purchased for my father. He will be in J109, helper is in J108. I've attached the plan so you can see the wheelchair bay, the helpers seat and I've got signed letter from Martin Perry thanking me for my purchase. Helper is free. This is a 1901 seat, but why would it be any different for other areas?

Attachments

• west.jpg
    west.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 129

I've spoken with Tina, chairman of BODS and the gist of her response is thus:

BODS is delighted with the facilities and access for disabled fans within the Amex stadium and truly believe this can't be faulted. They are, however, surprised that places for disabled fans who are not 1901 club members are offered only at pitch level at the front of the main stands or in a restricted area away from fellow Albion fans. This was not quite what they were expecting.

They are also concerned about parking and the lack of disabled parking bays in the immediate vicinity of the stadium. They are trying to lobby the club for funding for a shuttle service for disabled fans to a nearby carpark.

We're obviously waiting on the club's response to the questions in ATC before we take the next steps but I hope we can show the club that we all just want fans to share the Falmer experience equally. I hope as well we can help with the campaign for funding for the shuttle service. Tina did also ask me to thank everyone for their support. They've been working for this for 8 years now and really appreciate it.

It's not just wheelchair users and BODS members who will need consideration and a shuttle service. It's ambulant disabled fans as well - the absence of adequate blue badge parking within convenient walking distance of the stadium will cause a lot of fans to struggle.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Just to echo Lord B,s point on here. When the plans were first put forward, a majority of the access would be at mid tier level so the proposals were that disabled seating would be on the level that they came into the ground I.e. Mid tier in the east and rear tier in the south. With the removal of the tele tubby hill behind the east, this means that only the south has access at rear tier level. It's a real shame an alternative wasn't found but as has been said, there isn't a consultative approach on these things now it would seem.

But as we've found over the last few months a lot of what was agreed or promised has gone by the board or perhaps our soul has been sold. There is the buy your seat for live and kicking that has been replaced with the buy a heritage stone option which is open to everybody for far less than the 250 Gbp minimum set for the original scheme - perhaps a PLS for those who did would have been a more commensurate swap? The is also the car parking at the university that was originally to be booked on a basis of minimum 3 supporters per car but has now been sold as part of the 1901 package with 2 per car maximum.

I'm sure they are all justifiable and there are good reasons and given that we have a fantastic new stadium then the latter two points are probably small fry. Howev the disabled piece isn't and it is sad we don't appear to have got this right. Well done to Buzzer et al who've picked up on this and I for one would support any move to make a fund to help facilitate offside parking spaces and coach transport to and from it for disabled supporters. If the club can't do it, then we should.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1. About 4 left a week + ago
2. Impossible - demand would outstrip supply in a micro second and you're reverse discriminating against able bodied supporters too which is unfair (and patronising to many disabled fans who fiercely campaign not to be treated differently)

My fear, because the plans for the stadium were signed off years ago, is that any change the club tries to implement may be an elastoplast type solution e.g. realistically, as I've said prior, you need to re-drawn the architecture of all stands to accomodate accordingly and this can't be done in time for the opening or probably in the next couple of seasons even. But, and I think it's worth mentioning again because some have clearly not caught onto this, all this could have been avoided if the same seating plans had been applied to the home areas as have been done for the AWAY supporters. E.g. we've looked after them, but not our OWN. Seating's fine if you come as an away supporter to the AMEX. MAybe that's what we should do, sneek in as an away fan each week. Although replica shirts bill is going to be a bit pricey - might as well go in the 1901 club.....Doh!

4 is better than none. Plus if the club declassify others in the same tier then it opens up regular priced possibilities in the future for either season tickets or one-off tickets when the ST holder cannot make it.

50% of the 1901 seats being available at a regular price, combined with all the other areas is fair in my mind. And this is very very simple for the club to implement.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just to echo Lord B,s point on here. When the plans were first put forward, a majority of the access would be at mid tier level so the proposals were that disabled seating would be on the level that they came into the ground I.e. Mid tier in the east and rear tier in the south. With the removal of the tele tubby hill behind the east, this means that only the south has access at rear tier level. It's a real shame an alternative wasn't found but as has been said, there isn't a consultative approach on these things now it would seem.

I think you have pointed out one of the possible reasons for the current situation. Since the original plans were drawn up they have had to go through a number of alterations caused by new legislation and changing circumstances. It is quite possible that there has been an oversight when the plans were redrawn at these various stages.

I'd like to think that the club will take note of the measured discussion (for a change) on this thread and take note accordingly to address the issues raised. At the very least the parking issues should be simple to resolve if not the in stadium ones.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
4 is better than none. Plus if the club declassify others in the same tier then it opens up regular priced possibilities in the future for either season tickets or one-off tickets when the ST holder cannot make it.

50% of the 1901 seats being available at a regular price, combined with all the other areas is fair in my mind. And this is very very simple for the club to implement.

Not at all simple - on account they've sold all the 1901 seats haven't they? And only had about 4 disabled 1901 seats available as I said at the beginning of last week, which may have gone by now as more disgruntled disabled fans stump up for the seat licences in the 1901 club area just to get a non pitch side view in a home stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here