Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit late now but question about the disabled section at Withdean.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sorry, but is that good enough?

Shouldn't all fans have an option on where to sit. I think most agree that on the halfway line in an elevated position is the best place in the ground but if you are unless you pay for 1901 there isn't that option for fans with disabilities.

I don't know, I spend months not posting and now I can't stop!

Yes. The corners at the Goldstione used to be full before they condemned the terraces.

I have sat/stood in the corners of many grounds and the view has been excellent.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Nothing to report this morning from either "ask the club" or Martin Perry. To be fair I am sure Martin is very busy and should be given a few days? to respond. At some stage though this might need to be esculated via BODS and us as well - the Argus being an obvious starting point.
Let's wait and see......we might be surprised!

To be honest they are overrun arranging the ST sales and presentations at the moment. I hope that the club are at the very least aware of this discussion, and given their track record thus far I'd expect them to be mortified that their provisions for disabled supporters are viewed so poorly.

I really hope they can successfully resolve the issues raised here.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There are various options for the disabled section at Falmer.

Raised views are available in the corners or you can have pitch level in front of the east and west.

You can also join the 1901 where there are disabled spaces in both the East and West stands.

The disappointing thing is that there are no ordinary 'raised views' running down the east and west stands.

So if you are wheelchair bound you either pay 1901, get tucked in a corner or you are pitch level.

Now there are obviously no bad views at Falmer, but it would have been nice if the there could have been some 'ordinary' raised views in the East and West.

Did that make sense?

Just re-read this from page 1 of the thread and it looks like elevated views will be available for disabled supporters in addition to pitch side views, with more capacity for disabled supporters than Old Trafford!
Now that doesn't seem too bad. I understand that there are serious concerns re the parking spaces etc and these should be resolved, but it looks in terms of the seating the club have not done a terrible job.

I know it doesn't offer a full choice to disabled fans, but I don't think that would be practical considering the building implications of providing access to wheelchair users. People seem to think that any view that is not bang on the halfway line at a preferred height is a pile of sh*t and not worth bothering with, when we all know this to be untrue. Pitch side views get your close to the action and elevated corner views provide a reasonable view of the game too. This is not say that the club could not have done more, but I don't feel they have done too badly, judging by the quoted post.

As for the 1901, I suspect that the club were legally obliged to make this open to disabled supporters as well as able bodied fans. I view this as a positive thing, as those who have the means and interest are not excluded from the club.

Of course this is all easy for me to say as an able bodied supporter and I'm not making light of the concerns of disabled supporters and I hope the club can adequately resolve any issues that they have with the provision at Falmer.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just re-read this from page 1 of the thread and it looks like elevated views will be available for disabled supporters in addition to pitch side views, with more capacity for disabled supporters than Old Trafford!.

With all due respect, that somewhat misses the point.

But agree with the rest of your post.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Hot chili dog, you've missed a host of things and clearly haven't understood the situation entirely. Are you sure you've read properly the posts Lindfield by the sea and I have written properly? You can't dress up the dogs dinner the club appear to have made of this. Sorry ht any such attempts to make you look unsuitable to comment really harsh as that sounds.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hot chili dog, you've missed a host of things and clearly haven't understood the situation entirely. Are you sure you've read properly the posts Lindfield by the sea and I have written properly? You can't dress up the dogs dinner the club appear to have made of this. Sorry ht any such attempts to make you look unsuitable to comment really harsh as that sounds.

Portlock, I have just done exactly that and can indeed see that I have missed a lot of your points re the positioning of and access to of these seats. Like I said it is a bit rich for me to be commenting on this topic as it does not affect me directly. But I would say that any disservice aimed at our disabled supporters affects us indirectly as it reflects poorly on the club, especially as we have such a good reputation for our community work. I hope that someone from the club can directly answer the points raised in this thread. I know the club are extremely busy with ST sales and the promotion push but I hope someone from the club can offer a decent response soon.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Like I said it is a bit rich for me to be commenting on this topic as it does not affect me directly.

At the moment. Disability can happen to anyone at anytime. Through old age, accident or illness many currently able-bodied supporters will encounter disablility in their lives.

You could therefore argue it's in ALL our interests that Falmer has the very best facilities and so it's not rich at all for you to take an interest.

Currently my view is it's a good thing as they are looking into all the issues and will respond with a detailed response. Let's hope it's not a case of trying to avoid it!
How much longer do we give the club?

I think a bit of bad press might move them along a bit,lets face it the club can do no wrong recently,except in a few issues that have slip under the radar,i think we still need to keep an eye on things even in paradise:eek:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
At the moment. Disability can happen to anyone at anytime. Through old age, accident or illness many currently able-bodied supporters will encounter disablility in their lives.

You could therefore argue it's in ALL our interests that Falmer has the very best facilities and so it's not rich at all for you to take an interest.

Very thought provoking and not something I'd really considered myself, though I have been closer than most after attending one game at the goldstone in a wheelchair because of a car accident. Good point Uter!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think a bit of bad press might move them along

Disagree. I'd like to think that given the usual very speedy turn round for replies that Insider gives and the fact that he does answer all of the replies AND the seriousness of this particular issue, that a full response is probably being prepared.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here