Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit late now but question about the disabled section at Withdean.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I recently spoke to someone close to one of those involved with BODS and the message I got back was not good.

In short BODS were constantly consulted and quoted by the Falmer team right up to the point where planning permission was granted. Following that dialogue fell away and it became clear that the club really didn't want any input from BODS. Has made many in BODS feel like they were used. Very poor.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I reckon I can answer for Insider, it's easy.

I'll pass on your comments

Last edited:

i recently spoke to someone close to one of those involved with bods and the message i got back was not good.

In short bods were constantly consulted and quoted by the falmer team right up to the point where planning permission was granted. Following that dialogue fell away and it became clear that the club really didn't want any input from bods. Has made many in bods feel like they were used. Very poor.

spot on there:thumbsup: ALL THE LETTER WRITTING HAS BEEN DONE,HAND OVER YOUR CASH! SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN! A NEW ERA FOR THE ALBION:facepalm:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I recently spoke to someone close to one of those involved with BODS and the message I got back was not good.

In short BODS were constantly consulted and quoted by the Falmer team right up to the point where planning permission was granted. Following that dialogue fell away and it became clear that the club really didn't want any input from BODS. Has made many in BODS feel like they were used. Very poor.

That makes it sound like the club were just keeping them quiet by appearing helpful and concerned but weren't. I find that hard to believe. Hope i'm wrong.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
:clap2:

My finger is poised on the send button for my email to the Argus!
Give until next week. But I might be up for a bit of mischief making myself then.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

In short BODS were constantly consulted and quoted by the Falmer team right up to the point where planning permission was granted. Following that dialogue fell away and it became clear that the club really didn't want any input from BODS. Has made many in BODS feel like they were used. Very poor.[/QUOT

I'd be careful about speaking on bods behalf. We don't know this is at all the case and until they say something themselves or the club then this only inflames a relationship that still exists and has to work together. Club has done loads to help disabled supporters to date. Some real diamonds in our little club.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

In short BODS were constantly consulted and quoted by the Falmer team right up to the point where planning permission was granted. Following that dialogue fell away and it became clear that the club really didn't want any input from BODS. Has made many in BODS feel like they were used. Very poor.[/QUOT

I'd be careful about speaking on bods behalf. We don't know this is at all the case and until they say something themselves or the club then this only inflames a relationship that still exists and has to work together. Club has done loads to help disabled supporters to date. Some real diamonds in our little club.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Okay, that is fair comment, especially as I only heard this third hand so to speak. All is not right though but clearly the club need to answer and suggest a way forward before we dismiss this out of hand.

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010

I am the chair of BODS , Tina. I can say that BODS are still consulting with the club over many issues, inparticularly the parking situation and we are hoping we can help find some solutions to the problems. I would like to say that those comments may have come from one of our members but isnt an official view of BODS. We do however stand by our earlier statement that we are very disappointed that that the only raised viewing areas for wheelchair users other than in the 1901 club are in the corners of the South stand isolated from other supporters. We would also like to say we really appreciate the time, interest and support NSC users are showing this issue.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I have to say one good thing that has come out of this thread is that it is great to see disabled fans and non-disabled fans working together on this issue.

Can anyone tell me how much parking there is all together at the stadium e.g. not just blue badge? I may be wrong but I believe through an access group I attend that the national guideline is that 10% of all parking spaces should be blue badge spaces.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I am the chair of BODS , Tina. I can say that BODS are still consulting with the club over many issues, inparticularly the parking situation and we are hoping we can help find some solutions to the problems. I would like to say that those comments may have come from one of our members but isnt an official view of BODS. We do however stand by our earlier statement that we are very disappointed that that the only raised viewing areas for wheelchair users other than in the 1901 club are in the corners of the South stand isolated from other supporters. We would also like to say we really appreciate the time, interest and support NSC users are showing this issue.
I'm just sorry we didn't know sooner that there was an issue with this

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:clap2:

My finger is poised on the send button for my email to the Argus!

Please don't. The Argus are probably well aware of this thread. If they want to report it leave it them. I personally think the club will reply soon, and respond positively.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
We (able bodied) supporters may whine and moan about how shit Withdean has been, but spare a thought for those who have spent years sat in front of the security hut in all weathers with by far the worst view in the ground - yet still they continued to support the club year after year. The AMEX should have disabled facilities the envy of every other football club in Britain. There is just no excuse for sticking the disabled section in one small isolated corner of the ground bar a few 1901 places. There is no reason in a modern purpose built stadium for not having disabled facilities in all areas of the ground other than the West stand upper (for obvious reasons). Sort it out Mr Bloom! Give the architects a kick up the backside for this glaring oversight.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm just sorry we didn't know sooner that there was an issue with this

Agreed.
I guess we all just assumed (naively, so it transpires) that first class facilities for disabled supporters would be seamlessly woven through the DNA of a brand new stadium, in the same way that able-bodied supporters are being provided with class leading leg room and seat comfort.

It just seems bizaare, to say the least, that this isn't the case.

The stadium issues might take a bit longer to resolve, but hopefully the Club can address the car parking situation with the stroke of a pen.

Last edited:

Me too. I had just assumed that the club was doing the right things.

Very dangerous all these assumptions do we assume they have provided facilities for the junior seagulls groups who must be pushing 10,000 in number,Do we assume they are treating people who have served us well at withdean like shirt sponsors,hospitality providers,alot of people have served a purpose and been spat out in this brave new world,while most have stood by and gawped at a shiny new stadium,so the real ale drinking mafia have their bar,not likely to sit in there with the kids,no need to go corp,so its the overpriced over cooked outside the lavs concourse for me and the kids,at least i'm not the only one getting shafted! morning all

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
The way I see it is the club have bent over backwards on every aspect of the stadium to ensure the fans are treated fairly, catered for at a more than reasonable cost and with excellent payment options etc. Let's return the favour by giving them the chance to reply and hopefully prove us all wrong before kicking up a fuss.

The way I see it is the club have bent over backwards on every aspect of the stadium to ensure the fans are treated fairly, catered for at a more than reasonable cost and with excellent payment options etc. Let's return the favour by giving them the chance to reply and hopefully prove us all wrong before kicking up a fuss.

Its also in their interest to treat fans well because if they don't they will lose fans,yes things are great at the moment,but when people can do no wrong you will find they abuse the trust and become arrogant or just take the eye the ball and if no one else is there so say oi! then things can get bad.Dont underestimate the role that fans should still play within this club:amex::smokin::falmer:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here