Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit late now but question about the disabled section at Withdean.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Wembly is the best we have been to - its raised slightly and there are sections all around the stadium in groups of about 10. For away supporters, MK Dons is really good too, Crawley, as mentioned, was good this year. Sheff Weds this year was pretty good also. Falmer for away disabled is pretty good to. Worst away is Leeds - corner pitchside. For view, Villa was pretty good, although we were located in the main Villa stand! As an able bodied carer, wearing the colours, the half time cup of tea in their main stand was interesting!!!

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
Agreed. I wish I hadn't started this thread now as it has depressed me. Is it too late to lobby the club for a re-think of where disabled fans can see the game? Perhaps even them taking a look at changing part of the East Stand at the front so there could be ramps for even a slight elevation and the chance for disabled fans to savour the atmosphere amongst fellow Albion fans?

Totally agree. Why don't we try and lobby the club? I have started with a question for the "insider"

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Wembly is the best we have been to - its raised slightly and there are sections all around the stadium in groups of about 10. For away supporters, MK Dons is really good too, Crawley, as mentioned, was good this year. Sheff Weds this year was pretty good also. Falmer for away disabled is pretty good to. Worst away is Leeds - corner pitchside. For view, Villa was pretty good, although we were located in the main Villa stand! As an able bodied carer, wearing the colours, the half time cup of tea in their main stand was interesting!!!

LbtP, are you up for asking a question on Ask The Club whether it is still possible to review disabled facilities at the Amex given that what is on offer (other than to 1901 members) is of such a poor standard relative to other grounds and certainly in comparison to other new builds?

might be worth including a link to this thread

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
It's not good news I'm afraid and I can only guess you were writing this whilst Lindfield by the sea was posting his.

I was. However I am still pleased that there are a decent number-one of the problems we have now is the difficulttly of getting tickets-for health reasons my godson can only go in the summer as we can't risk him getting to cold, also we ideally need to make the decision just a week in advance when we have an idea of the weather but as there are so few disabled seat at Withdean this is never an option- hence why he has only been to 1 game and that was Mayo's testimonial as there were plenty of seats avaliable at the last minute.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was. However I am still pleased that there are a decent number-one of the problems we have now is the difficulttly of getting tickets-for health reasons my godson can only go in the summer as we can't risk him getting to cold, also we ideally need to make the decision just a week in advance when we have an idea of the weather but as there are so few disabled seat at Withdean this is never an option- hence why he has only been to 1 game and that was Mayo's testimonial as there were plenty of seats avaliable at the last minute.

Seems odd that there are restrictions on the numbers when you consider that the Pompey disabled fans were placed at the front of the family stand last week away from the Brighton disabled fans.

tangfastic

Nov 1, 2009
hove
i agree that at such a fantastically exciting time for the club and the fans, it is both shameful and depressing that there isn't better seating choices for wheelchair supporters and their mates who choose to sit with them, of which i am one. we have sat in the wheelchair area at withdean for twelve years - and it is every bit as shit as it looks from the family stand or anywhere else for that matter. our presentation was on the first day, so even accounting for limited wheelchair spaces, we were expecting more than pitch side in front of c block west stand. i wanted upper west and my mate wanted east stand - so at least that was an argument resolved for us! although now we're thinking of going 1901.

i remember going to a planning consultation several years ago where assurances were made that disabled facilities were going to be located in all areas of the stadium, rather than a single disabled area. maybe we missed later consultations when the plans changed. definately want to hear a response from the club.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You might want to point out in any discussions with the club that the club charter http://www.seagulls.co.uk/staticFiles/6e/54/0,,10433~152686,00.pdf states....

"Consultation...
The Club meets regularly with representatives from the Brighton and Hove Albion Disabled Supporters group....

...The Club provides support for disabled spectators and their carers...

...Club Policy covering Part III (the provision of goods, services and facilities) of the Disability Discrimination Act
BHAFC (the Club) is committed to ensuring that its disabled supporters and customers have as full access as is reasonably possible to make to all goods, services and facilities provided or offered to the public by the Club.
The Club will operate a concessionary ticketing policy for disabled supporters and will ensure that the scheme does not discriminate between disabled people with differing impairments.
The Club recognises that not all of its facilities are fully accessible to disabled customers and confirms that it is committed to making necessary reasonable adjustments described by the Disability Discrimination Act and its relevant Codes of Practice to ensure full compliance with the legislation.

The Club also recognises that it is likely to have new duties with effect from 1
st December 2004 to remove permanent barriers that make it difficult or impossible for some disabled customers to access Club facilities. The Club will undertake such additional works as are reasonably required within the timescales set out in the Act.

The Club has a training programme to ensure that all Senior Managers and appropriate “front line staff” are trained in the provisions of the Act.
Ongoing training will be included in staff induction programmes.
The Club undertakes to its disabled supporters and customers that any complaints of discrimination will be dealt with under that procedure.
The Club has advised its staff that any incident of discrimination under the provisions of the Act is a serious matter and will be dealt with under the Club’s Disciplinary Procedures."

Admittedly this is dealing with Withdean and not Falmer/Amex.

Good luck.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009

Havn't really used the disabled, as mentioned earlier, as we normally sit in F block, but do apreciate the issue with the cold, so can't comment on the availability. If it is rain, or too cold, we don't go. A brisk walk to the station or bus at the end of the game is not an option. He stay's cold until I get him home, and run a hot bath

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Agreed. I wish I hadn't started this thread now as it has depressed me. Is it too late to lobby the club for a re-think of where disabled fans can see the game? Perhaps even them taking a look at changing part of the East Stand at the front so there could be ramps for even a slight elevation and the chance for disabled fans to savour the atmosphere amongst fellow Albion fans?

I'm a firm believer in if you don't ask you don't get. But it's too late for the current set-up; anything they do in time for next season will be a blue peter job and little more than lip service. What's needed is proper rearchitecture building of they north, east and west stands (choice should be the same for less able persons) to accomodate wheel chair access. And that can only really be done in the close season and even then at the expense of other sth's potentially. Offering corners, those most desirable of locations, doesn't cut it for me. Especially when no other fans are seated there! I'm afraid club has let down these most loyal of supporters and it's unfathomable why or how this has come about.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
There's a lovely huge raised area in the east stand at the moment, perfect for wheelchairs if only there was a lift.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Not too mention you were ticked off for cheering your own team!! Incase villa fans "took offence" FFS Villa, you seat away disabled fans in a home stand, allow them to wear colours but prevent them from cheering a goal etc. Madness. Surely even knuckleheads don't attack disabled fans. And if they would, then sort the perpetrators out not the victims!!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

This is an important point most people do not realise. A lot of disabled fans have conditions that would be adversely affected by the elements. So to site them pitch-side where you get the withdean-experience still is absolute madness and so poorly planned it beggers belief anyone with experience of disablement was consulted. It's as if Teresa Sanders and team were bypassed.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Okay. Sounds like representations need to be made to the club on at least a semi-formal basis to lobby for a fair(er) deal. I'm happy to get involved but am sadly ignorant on all this as this. What can I do to help?

I'm happy to stand outside the family stand/south stand entrance collecting signatures from fans in the next few games if you guys think a petition would help add weight to the campaign.

Edit - and in the meantime, why don't the disabled fans come and join us over at the family stand at the front for the rest of the season (dry weather permitting)? The view can't be any worse than the current one and you'll get to enjoy the daft conversations and cheering. They put the Pompey disabled fans there after all. Would disabled fans want to come and sit with us?

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Okay. Sounds like representations need to be made to the club on at least a semi-formal basis to lobby for a fair(er) deal. I'm happy to get involved but am sadly ignorant on all this as this. What can I do to help?

I'm happy to stand outside the family stand/south stand entrance collecting signatures from fans in the next few games if you guys think a petition would help add weight to the campaign.

Would definitely sign a petition :thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
i agree that at such a fantastically exciting time for the club and the fans, it is both shameful and depressing that there isn't better seating choices for wheelchair supporters and their mates who choose to sit with them, of which i am one. we have sat in the wheelchair area at withdean for twelve years - and it is every bit as shit as it looks from the family stand or anywhere else for that matter. our presentation was on the first day, so even accounting for limited wheelchair spaces, we were expecting more than pitch side in front of c block west stand. i wanted upper west and my mate wanted east stand - so at least that was an argument resolved for us! although now we're thinking of going 1901.

i remember going to a planning consultation several years ago where assurances were made that disabled facilities were going to be located in all areas of the stadium, rather than a single disabled area. maybe we missed later consultations when the plans changed. definately want to hear a response from the club.
I had the unenviable task of breaking this news to my family when it dawned just prior to the presentations beginning. To say they were angry was an understatement after 12 years (and 2 at gillingham when you could have say anywhere and nobody was following this bloody club) at withdean. They went 1901 in the end because things were so poor - but then that costs £2k more. Nice one Albion. You've really f***ed this issue up royally and after all your promises......why did no one pay a visit to MK Dons before hand?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
LbtP, are you up for asking a question on Ask The Club whether it is still possible to review disabled facilities at the Amex given that what is on offer (other than to 1901 members) is of such a poor standard relative to other grounds and certainly in comparison to other new builds?

might be worth including a link to this thread

I have made my representations to the club, and if they read this thread, they will know who I am. I blame myself to some extent because unless you are either disabled, or someone you love is, you can get a little battle weary fighting for everything from wheelchairs to after school clubs, and I didn't get involved in the stadium design - I just assumed it would be good.

I feel bad slighting the club because of the quite simply outstanding gestures the club have made to my son, and the simply brilliant work AITC do. My boy has played against Gus and Tanno, which is more than I have! They jumped into wheel chairs and spent an hour playing wheelchair football last year - an hour my boy will never forget. He was also match day mascot against Leeds last year whilst he could still walk the distance from corner flag to halfway line. The club arranged for the teams to walk out a bit slower, and Crofts was brilliant, as his biggest fear was falling over, as it was a long walk for him. Crofts re-assured him, and said he would hold him tight and catch him if he tumbled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here