Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley chasing Greer - bid rejected

Dessie

Jun 17, 2010
Sheffield
Just had a read of this. Some nice homophobic quotes.. One even believes they are a club we should be aspiring to be like :ffsparr:

Nothing unusual from the Dingles I'm afraid. Think "Deliverance" but with a 12-hour shift dahn t'pit. The only way you could emulate them is by going back to the mid-80s. They haven't got a pot to piss in - last season players (Mike Jones, Chris O'Grady) would rather drop to League One rather than slum it at Barnsley.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hi Barnsley fans. :wave:

You've missed a trick bidding for Gordon Greer. We have a central midfielder who oozes class and style, who would really make your team tick. We only want a million for him, and it would save you wasting time with Oliver Norwood as well. His name is Ryan Harley, and he's very special.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nothing unusual from the Dingles I'm afraid. Think "Deliverance" but with a 12-hour shift dahn t'pit. The only way you could emulate them is by going back to the mid-80s. They haven't got a pot to piss in - last season players (Mike Jones, Chris O'Grady) would rather drop to League One rather than slum it at Barnsley.
It must be quite handy having a tin pot club with such an oversized ground on your doorstep. I presume they will be giving Sheffield Wednesday half the ground as usual next season?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
So, we're reading and commenting on what they say on their forum and they're doing to same about ours. Got to love the internet.

This,

Them: They're puffs.
Us: Well Barnsleys shit hole
Them: Southerners blah
Us: Northerner blah

You couldn't make it up. I don't think he will go as I think he is worth to much to us to lose for a price I expect them to pay. But if we did accept it, the town the weather none of it matters. He could like in a lovely country mannor and commute in so long as he gets his pay check I don't think he will care how pretty it is or whether the locals gays or wife beaters.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
"I'm ok with the ones that say "why would he want to go there", given that we just avoided relegation and they missed out on the playoffs. That's fine, but it's the ones that are aghast that we should have the audacity to bid for one of their players that gets me.....perhaps they'd like to tell us whose players we are allowed to bid for then!
It's how it works, if theres a player we'd like and we think he's in our range we can make a bid.....they are perfectly at liberty to turn it down or accept it. As it happens, they turned it down - so I don't even see why it's an issue for them!"
Who's saying they aren't allowed to bid for him? They can bid for anyone they like. Just seems like a bit of a waste of their time.

Also, how have we forgotten where we came from? We are where we are now. If they want to make bids to three years ago, well, it would make about as much sense as this.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This,

Them: They're puffs.
Us: Well Barnsleys shit hole
Them: Southerners blah
Us: Northerner blah

You couldn't make it up. I don't think he will go as I think he is worth to much to us to lose for a price I expect them to pay. But if we did accept it, the town the weather none of it matters. He could like in a lovely country mannor and commute in so long as he gets his pay check I don't think he will care how pretty it is or whether the locals gays or wife beaters.

yeah i got the drift there mate but you are missing a few words/letters............he's going f***ing nowhere ,specially ta fookin yoooaaaarksha...!!

Some out of order comments on there. This kind of bile and the stuff that we heard from their fans at the Amex show exactly the nature of people from Barnsley- vile, common neanderthals that live in a shithole of a town that is stuck in a timewarp.
Wankers.

BBC News - Barnsley fan cautioned over homophobic Brighton chants

I believe that little cherub was from Kent surprisingly.

I did love the look on his face when I told him I wanted to shag him though, especially when he nearly exploded without seeing the coppers coming up behind him.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Barnsley are the Palace of the North, shitty scummy fans, surrounded by much bigger teams, currently punching well above their weight.

Complete bunch of nobbers when they come down here as well. certaintly not a fixture I would be to bothered about missing if they got relegated.

As for trying to sign any Brighton players, really dont have an issue with that, im sure plenty of our squad would get in the Barnsley team, just dont think they have a real chance of taking one of our better players.

remember they have signed Dickinson and Mcnulty from us in the past, but once again they were fringe players Gus didnt want.

D

Deleted member 18477

Why not Barnsley? Just because we finished above them this year doesn't automatically mean we always will.

Think of this way - Keith Hill thinks "I need an experienced strong centre-back who can play it on the ground. I'll test the water with Brighton. Greer's 31 now so they might take a bid, maybe they have their eye on someone eles to replace him long-term". Not beyond the bounds of possibility is it?

we're going places. the only place barnsley are going is league 1 eventually.

and greer is well and truly a MASSIVE part of the team that's going places.

D

Deleted member 18477

"A load of plastic fans that have just jumped on the new ground bandwagon, last time out in the Championship they averaged 6,246, we were in a division lower averaging more and on our arse. They couldn't fill a 8,800 capacity ground. Lets hope they don't suffer "second season" syndrome, thats a big ground to be rattling around the lower leagues in."

errrr oi barnsley fans.

whats the capacity of your stadium? 23k?
what was your average attendance last year? 10k?
what was your average attendance whilst in the prem league? 18k?

what the f*** are those 8k fans then?

the northern palace as someone else has already said.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not sure why some are getting on their high horse about it

Barnsley want him and put a bid in, we rejected it and would imagine would reject any further bids

Far as I can see they are trying to better their squad which is obviously something we will be doing. The we are a bigger club than them debate isn't really worth having. Doubt you can judge Barnsley fans by a few cretins spouting the same out homophobic bullshit that is on that site either. Also them having a pop at plastic fans isn't worth getting upset about as I wouldn't expect them to be informed about how many season tickets we've sold etc, rather like I couldn't give a flying f*** how many they have sold and don't even know how many go to games, although judging by the last game of the season.... Not many.

They obviously want to be like us having McNulty and Davies already but GG won't be joining them

Not sure why some are getting on their high horse about it

Barnsley want him and put a bid in, we rejected it and would imagine would reject any further bids

Far as I can see they are trying to better their squad which is obviously something we will be doing. The we are a bigger club than them debate isn't really worth having. Doubt you can judge Barnsley fans by a few cretins spouting the same out homophobic bullshit that is on that site either. Also them having a pop at plastic fans isn't worth getting upset about as I wouldn't expect them to be informed about how many season tickets we've sold etc, rather like I couldn't give a flying f*** how many they have sold and don't even know how many go to games, although judging by the last game of the season.... Not many.

They obviously want to be like us having McNulty and Davies already but GG won't be joining them

Because the season is over, it's a long way till August and everyone is bored that we have nothing else to moan about.

In my opinion.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
Oh dear, reading their forum has further convinced me that everyone from the north is a deluded, knuckle dragging, homophobic monkey. Some of the stuuf on there is pathetic. They seem to think the Amex was funded totally by the council! Well if any are reading this, it was almost totally funded by our wonderful owner, Tony bloom. I have nothing against them trying a bid for our captain, I just found the audacity of it rather amusing as it is very very unlokely he would go there. Still, stranger things have happened...

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Oh dear, reading their forum has further convinced me that everyone from the north is a deluded, knuckle dragging, homophobic monkey. Some of the stuuf on there is pathetic. They seem to think the Amex was funded totally by the council! Well if any are reading this, it was almost totally funded by our wonderful owner, Tony bloom. I have nothing against them trying a bid for our captain, I just found the audacity of it rather amusing as it is very very unlokely he would go there. Still, stranger things have happened...

Just Barnsley, there are some nice places in the North if you look hard enough. May as well say it here as its appropriate, of all the away matches i went to this season (and i went to a few), i got the most gay abuse in Barnsley - not that it bothered me, gave me something to laugh about.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Barnsley

Are they about to be taken over or something?

They've had a bid for Greer turned down which has gotta be at least £500,000 and a bid for Man Utd's Oliver Norwood turned down who would cost probably quite a bit ???

Seems bizzare.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
£500K? You've got to be joking? Greer must be worth at least £1M.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Hi Barnsley fans. :wave:

You've missed a trick bidding for Gordon Greer. We have a central midfielder who oozes class and style, who would really make your team tick. We only want a million for him, and it would save you wasting time with Oliver Norwood as well. His name is Ryan Harley, and he's very special.

Agreed , I've heard that Harley has relatives in Yorkshire and wants to move up north.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Having had a moment to digest, it's not actually that suprising.

Greer is 31, his contract is up next summer, he's conceivably got one big contract left before he retires.

He moved from Swindon to us in similar circumstances. He's probably got an agent pushing us for a wage rise and extension.

Obviously as fans we'll want him to stay as he's been bloody magnificent, but perhaps the board will be considering that this is probably the last time a big bid could come in for him, before potentially losing him for nothing next summer, whilst giving him a new deal could see us having him on high wages till the age of 34.

Certainly in terms of the right here and now we'd want to keep him but I wouldn't totally rule it out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here