Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley chasing Greer - bid rejected

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
He may go for it lets not forget that Double G is going bald and living on the south coast will increase his chances of skin damage to his cranium where as living in drab and dreary Barnsley where the sunshines for 3 hours a month will protect his health long term.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
I'm assuming they have a bit of money knocking about from the sale of Vaz Te. It's not really that surprising that they've shown a bit of ambition and put in a bid for a decent player. No-one's saying they'd get a bid accepted, or even that Gordon would want to go there, but on their part, why not bid? If there's even a small chance it might be accepted, they might as well.

And it's not quite like Nolan as I'm sure Greer is well within Barnsley's wage budget.

The money is not a problem for them, it's the fact that they are possibly the worst and dullest club in the league and there is no reason why our beloved captain would even think of moving there.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
I can't believe some people are trying to engineer why this isn't a stupid bid. There's 3 massive reasons why he wont go
1. Gus loves Gordzilla
2. We don't need to sell him unless its for a massive price
3. Its a step down it terms of ambition

Does it matter if Barnsley have a better average attendance than us over the last 15 years? That's like a player moving to Oxford instead of Wigan as Oxford were in the Premier League first!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's the captain for a reason. Gus brought him here for that role, and has always backed him. He was excellent last season, barring another daft sending off.

I can't see Poyet letting him go in a million years unless there's something gone on we don't know about.

D

Deleted member 22389

Greer is too important for us. He wont go unless the price is right.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Barnsley would be in League One now were it not for Pompeys points deducton. Can't really see Greer wanting to join a relegation scrap next season.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
This. Seriously WTF Barnsley hahahahaha!

Why not Barnsley? Just because we finished above them this year doesn't automatically mean we always will.

Think of this way - Keith Hill thinks "I need an experienced strong centre-back who can play it on the ground. I'll test the water with Brighton. Greer's 31 now so they might take a bid, maybe they have their eye on someone eles to replace him long-term". Not beyond the bounds of possibility is it?

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Very strange move this one. Hopefully it is just a rumour and nothing else, we're not a selling club anymore and we wouldn't sell to a team who are basically nearly every season. Pushing above their weight and finishing in the lower reaches of the Championship, now would we?!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Doesn't seem much different from when he joined us from Swindon and they all harked on about a sideways move. He was their captain too.

Like it or not Barnsley are an established Championship club (Something we're hoping for) and I'd say historically bigger than us so it wouldn't be out of this world. What will stop it I'm sure is I don't think they will pay what we ask given how highly we rate him and he seems pretty settled here.

Why would anyone even consider going there? Shit town (still looks and feels like a coal mining town), shit ground, shit fans!

What is interesting is why they even bothered - did someone let it be known we were open to offers?

In my opinion, he is solid enough, but lacks the balls to be Captain. He is no Danny Culip or John Terry, and we need someone like that to pull our bunch of pussies together. ElAbd tries, but he will be lucky to get much match-time next season.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
It's obvious, shirley?

Rio Ferdinand has fallen out with Fergie big time and is going to join us as club captain, therefore GG is going to be off.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
"Wow they seem to have forgot where they were 2/3 years ago, maybe their supporters have blanked out the past 15 years of misery and shite they've seen."

"I'm ok with the ones that say "why would he want to go there", given that we just avoided relegation and they missed out on the playoffs. That's fine, but it's the ones that are aghast that we should have the audacity to bid for one of their players that gets me.....perhaps they'd like to tell us whose players we are allowed to bid for then!
It's how it works, if theres a player we'd like and we think he's in our range we can make a bid.....they are perfectly at liberty to turn it down or accept it. As it happens, they turned it down - so I don't even see why it's an issue for them!"

"I hope we sign him now, even if hes shit lol. Just to piss them off"

"Brighton:-full of trumpt up gay-lords with ass-holes like clowns pockets. Just that!"

"Yep we have every right to bid for him.
After reading that board i now dislike Brighton fans too.
Bloody puffs."

"Greer's from Glasgow, he's probably missing the cold up north and sick of seeing nancy boys in Speedo's drinking mojito's on the beach front."

"A load of plastic fans that have just jumped on the new ground bandwagon, last time out in the Championship they averaged 6,246, we were in a division lower averaging more and on our arse. They couldn't fill a 8,800 capacity ground. Lets hope they don't suffer "second season" syndrome, thats a big ground to be rattling around the lower leagues in."

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I can't honestly see what they could offer him that we can't, except a closer proximity to Scotland. Looks like the Barnsley board keeping the natives happy with the promise of transfer activity.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, we're reading and commenting on what they say on their forum and they're doing to same about ours. Got to love the internet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here