Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley chasing Greer - bid rejected

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Not really. Right now, Barnsley are a FAR smaller club than us. Our gates are double theirs, and income probably treble.

It's like us making a bid for West Ham's Kevin Nolan at the beginning of last season.

ONE season does not make us a bigger club than them, They have had greater success and bigger crowds than us for years.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
This would be a very bad thing! I'm actually a little concerned about our possible lack of CB's anyway. We could potentially lose Dunk and El-Abd may be at the ACON which would leave us with just Hall and Greer, if he's still here :eek:
and Elphick. So we might possibly lose two centrebacks, leaving us with only three. Troubling times indeed.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've just rung the National Gallery and put in a bid of £47 for Van Gogh's Sunflowers. They said no :(

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
ONE season does not make us a bigger club than them, They have had greater success and bigger crowds than us for years.

I'm not sure that's relevent to the players. They'll be looking at where the two clubs are now and using that comparison BHA are far higher up the foodchain than Barnsley.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Really ?

Club captain, one of the first names on the teamsheet, a whisker away from Player of the Season, going bald.

I'd be amazed if he left this summer. It'd have to be a very decent bid from a big club to even have a chance of prising him away, and I don't see Gus wanting to lose his captain any time soon.

Just got the feeling at times he wasn't particularly happy here for whatever reasons and might make an exit. I base this on no more than just that gut feeling though so am likely to be completely and utterly wrong!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You mean from 1997 to 2011 when we played in Gillingham and then at a temporary venue?

What about the countless seasons before that where we've had much higher gates?
EFS English Clubs

I'm not sure that's relevent to the players. They'll be looking at where the two clubs are now and using that comparison BHA are far higher up the foodchain than Barnsley.
And this of course is the relevant point in any case.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There is definite truth in their interest. Been weighing up a move since before we played them at the end of the season.

But personally I would imagine their chances are a big fat NIL.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've just rung the National Gallery and put in a bid of £47 for Van Gogh's Sunflowers. They said no :(

They're just playing hard to get. Everyone has their price. Try £54.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Like it or not Barnsley are an established Championship club (Something we're hoping for) and I'd say historically bigger than us so it wouldn't be out of this world.
Er, what? How big they are historically is irrelevant, he's not going to play in the past is he. And actually, we are not hoping to become and established Championship club, it is our aim to leave the division as soon as possible.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I don’t want to belittle Barnsley as they are an established championship side but this move is very strange, could they afford his wages and if they could I’m really not convinced they could afford the transfer fee for one of our key players.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They're just playing hard to get. Everyone has their price. Try £54.

Thanks for the advice. I've now offered £55 and a canvas print of the Brooklyn Bridge that I got in the Next sale but they're not budging yet.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

That's because they aren't allowed to sell unless given permission. You should try a private buyer. What about that guy who bought The Scream last week - he's probably fed up with it about now so should be open to offers.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've got a lot of time for Barnsley, they have done very well to keep it going in the Chamnpionship the past few seasons and I have seen them a good few times at the Goldstone over the years.

Of course, when we were in League One, this might have appealed to Greer. But ask any agent/manager/player right now where they'd rather be or their client to be next season, and it would be Brighton.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Doesn't seem much different from when he joined us from Swindon and they all harked on about a sideways move. He was their captain too.

Like it or not Barnsley are an established Championship club (Something we're hoping for) and I'd say historically bigger than us so it wouldn't be out of this world. What will stop it I'm sure is I don't think they will pay what we ask given how highly we rate him and he seems pretty settled here.

'Historically bigger'...funniest thing I've read on here for a long time.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That's because they aren't allowed to sell unless given permission. You should try a private buyer. What about that guy who bought The Scream last week - he's probably fed up with it about now so should be open to offers.

I'm ahead of you there. Offered £37.49 and a black & white reproduction of a woman in a tennis skirt pulling her knickers out of her arse by the Greek artist Athena. I think he's wavering already.
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here