Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley chasing Greer - bid rejected

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Odd one this.

Could be Greers agent hoping to get a longer deal for him. How much time left on his contract.....?

Could possibly be trying to engineer a longer deal, but surely his agent isn't Frank Spencer otherwise why use Barnsley as the pawns!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Doesn't seem much different from when he joined us from Swindon and they all harked on about a sideways move. He was their captain too.

Like it or not Barnsley are an established Championship club (Something we're hoping for) and I'd say historically bigger than us so it wouldn't be out of this world. What will stop it I'm sure is I don't think they will pay what we ask given how highly we rate him and he seems pretty settled here.

The over-riding point I'd say is look at the relative directions both clubs are taking.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Doesn't seem much different from when he joined us from Swindon and they all harked on about a sideways move. He was their captain too.

Like it or not Barnsley are an established Championship club (Something we're hoping for) and I'd say historically bigger than us so it wouldn't be out of this world. What will stop it I'm sure is I don't think they will pay what we ask given how highly we rate him and he seems pretty settled here.

We are a bigger club than Barnsley. Historically they may have been more successful but we are far superior now. Bigger crowds, better football, better set up, better ground. They are relegation candidates every season

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

This. It's hilarious how so many people on here are astounded at the idea that another Championship club might bid for one of our players. Yes, it's pretty unlikely we'll sell him due to his importance to us and not being likely to fetch a particularly large fee. But that won't stop other clubs bidding for him, just as I'd expect us to bid for players in a similar situation.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Were McNulty and Greer at Brighton at the same time...?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This. It's hilarious how so many people on here are astounded at the idea that another Championship club might bid for one of our players. Yes, it's pretty unlikely we'll sell him due to his importance to us and not being likely to fetch a particularly large fee. But that won't stop other clubs bidding for him, just as I'd expect us to bid for players in a similar situation.
Not really. Right now, Barnsley are a FAR smaller club than us. Our gates are double theirs, and income probably treble.

It's like us making a bid for West Ham's Kevin Nolan at the beginning of last season.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is there money rolling around in South Yorkshire all of a sudden? Rotherham have had bids for Matt Tubbs rejected this week...granted he's done chuff all since he went to Bournemouth but given that they paid over half a million for him, you'd imagine Rotherham would have to get close to that to even be considered. They've also signed Nardiello and Odejayi this week. New stadium is obviously equalling extra funds for them.

I tell you what though: if this Barnsley thing has any legs, it wouldn't be the first time Greer has made a sideways move...

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Not really. Right now, Barnsley are a FAR smaller club than us. Our gates are double theirs, and income probably treble.

It's like us making a bid for West Ham's Kevin Nolan at the beginning of last season.

I'm assuming they have a bit of money knocking about from the sale of Vaz Te. It's not really that surprising that they've shown a bit of ambition and put in a bid for a decent player. No-one's saying they'd get a bid accepted, or even that Gordon would want to go there, but on their part, why not bid? If there's even a small chance it might be accepted, they might as well.

And it's not quite like Nolan as I'm sure Greer is well within Barnsley's wage budget.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I'm assuming they have a bit of money knocking about from the sale of Vaz Te. It's not really that surprising that they've shown a bit of ambition and put in a bid for a decent player. No-one's saying they'd get a bid accepted, or even that Gordon would want to go there, but on their part, why not bid? If there's even a small chance it might be accepted, they might as well.

And it's not quite like Nolan as I'm sure Greer is well within Barnsley's wage budget.

Agreed.

I will be very surprised that he would go, on a very good thing with us atm.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

You are a prime example of an Albion fan who has only supported the club from the Withdean years and beyond.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can't blame them for trying, but does seem a weird one. No way on the face of it that's a good move.

Unless they/Greer know something we don't about who's coming in...

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
The over-riding point I'd say is look at the relative directions both clubs are taking.

When we came to us look at the seasons we had just both had? Eitherway lets not bother to argue over something I think we both agree is unlikely to happen.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
This would be a very bad thing! I'm actually a little concerned about our possible lack of CB's anyway. We could potentially lose Dunk and El-Abd may be at the ACON which would leave us with just Hall and Greer, if he's still here :eek:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My only thoughts concern the invention of the flat-cap sew-on hairpiece and how that alone might be enough to tempt the rugged, anxiously-thinning scalpee north to a land of the generally deformed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here